Author Topic: Lets give the suits some ideas, what would you do to increase SDC attendance #'s  (Read 9105 times)

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
Your right about the Barn Swing but other than that, every time I go to SDC there is always two or more trains running on the coasters (especially on Powder Keg and Wildfire).
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

pintrader

One thing I would do to increase attendance is to just keep the park open till 10 p.m. every night thru June, July, August.  There has been a mention of this in other threads.  Somebody must have liked this idea or they would not have had a record attendance during one week of last year's Moonlight Madness.  This would also mean more concessions and extra meals served at the park, which in turn means more money.  Not to mention it would give employees (deservedly so I might add) more hours on the old paycheck.  Would people get tired of the extra hours and attendance stabilize or drop?  Who knows, but it might just be worth a try.  Also throw in a complete mail order system where people could order anything the Hospitality House or other shops in the city has to offer.  It might just work!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Till 10 wouldn't be bad at all although I think we could skip the nightly dance party.
On a recent trip to Dollywood I took advantage of the after 3 next day free thing cause they were open till 8pm.
That staying open later might help them with repeat days therefore more cokes and food.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
When the park is full it is not a good place.  Unlike Disney and other parks much of SDC is not designed to handle over flowing crowds.  What ride does SDC really need.  What does the park really need to improve on EXCEPT parking?

chadewb

• View Profile
I went to Silver Dollar City Memorial weekend. The food quality has gone way down hill. They need to lower the cost of food. Attendence is not that big of problem. They need to move more Merchandise. I thought of a way to move merchandise is the first 250 people through the gaite at Silver Dollar City should recieve a 20% off coupon. If you want to boost attendence maybe have a certain day kids get a free meal at one of the restuarants. Have a day to give away free t shirts to guest. 8) Have a survey taker ask people what they think could help sdc.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
You can’t judge attendance based on one or two days at the park.  Attendance is up over last year and I am sure SDC will finish the year out strong. 

Numbers are different: Dollywood’s busy days are not necessarily SDC’s busy days.  SDC is slow on Mondays & Tuesdays and Dollywood is slow on Tuesdays & Thursdays. 

I worked for Andy Williams for ten years and his Christmas show was always busy except for Thanksgiving week.  That week could only warrant one show a day and they were walk-up ticket sales (not pre-ordered).  The Moon River Theatre struggles Thanksgiving week while SDC’s attendance can reach 20,000 each day. 

Again you can’t base attendance based on a few visits a year.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Interesting insight,
My question would be how important are the seasons pass holders to SDC.
What would the daily percentages run between passholders and pay per visit on a regular day.
50%50%?
The spending habits of each must be different as I would think the passholders would spend a little less on merchandise, but I could be wrong.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:40:58 AM by mhguy77 »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
I would think passholders would spend *more* since they're not paying for admission and they'd be encouraged to buy more food and merchandise because of the discounts they get with their passes.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Parking Cost

Busch Gardens
Nearly 5,000 spaces are available for vehicles.
$12 - General parking for cars and motorcycles
$14 - General parking for buses, trucks and recreation vehicles
$18 - Preferred parking ($9 for 2 Year & 1 Year Passport members; Free for Platinum members)
$24 - Valet Parking ($20 for Passport members)

Six Flags
One-Day Parking $15.00
One-Day Preferred Parking $20.00

Silver Dollar City
Parking FREE, but for your convenience we offer paid parking.
Preferred $12
Season Pass Preferred $6
Valet Parking is $25

WOW FREE Parking is an option at SDC and not these other parks.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
And greatly appreciated it is.  When paying for parking, I expect theft and ding protection.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Well its a perk that we don't pay for parking of coarse you do have to recognise that land in Branson is not the commodity it is in Tampa or in some of these other cities.  SDC has had lots a b c for 30 years at least.
Also if you have used the preferred parking its not a good deal at all, the parking was really adjusted nicely for lot c as you don't have to walk up the hill anymore.  Honestly it more convenient and less time consuming to park free than it is to stay in the line while they explain ( in detail) where they can park ext, been there and done that, thenyou walk.
Don't forget Dollywood in your parking "shake down".  They have 5 booths stocked with someone to take 8.00 from each car, then when you drive into the lot there is no one to be found to tell you where to go. I used to have a problem with SDC parking but that is really inexcusable.  I was in DOllywood 3 daysin a for this June and it was that way every day I was there.
I guess paying to park is just becoming fashionable, even though we are not in the city. Fair at SDC? No, unless its vallet, that's completely understandable, I have never seenthe new pay to park lot full, seems I am not the only one that has figured this out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:47:40 AM by mhguy77 »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
I can remember dad paying to park at Six Flags Over Mid-America (Six Flags St. Louis) as far back as 1972. Even as a kid, I thought that was a rip off. I feel the same way today, but, now just like then...you gotta pay if ya wanna play.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
My family uses the "Pay to Park" at SDC and it is definitely worth it, if you want to pay.  When you have strollers it saves a lot of hassle and time. 

you do have to [recognize] that land in Branson is not the commodity it is in Tampa or in some of these other cities.
That sounds like an executive quoting a line to guests at their theme park.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
The preferred parking area was "sold out" each time we tried to use it May 23-25.