Author Topic: Spiritual feelings at SDC  (Read 11762 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Spiritual feelings at SDC
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
I was just curious if any of you had felt God strongly inside the Wilderness Church? Meaning, have any of you really used the church as a continuance of worship or prayer? We have posted about our connections of the calm and relaxed feelings we get, but I would like to hear stories and anecdotes of their religious and spiritual feelings from SDC. Thanks!
Andymeets1880s

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Spiritual feelings at SDC
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:59 AM »
Yes, I used to attend church services (in my SDC costume no less) when I worked there.  It felt like an honest to goodness church service and God was definitely present.  The addition of us citizens gave the guests a better sense of how connected we were to our way of life.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »
I also have felt that way at the church, but I have to say I've felt it also in other spots around the park also, especially at Christmas season. 
Vote to end 2020!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »
I felt like that the first time I went to a service at the wilderness church. There was a guest speaker when I came and he preached about things I really needed to hear. The rest of the day I had a relaxed and calm feeling. :)
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Actually, I felt like doing my homework! No, just joking...ya see, the church was originally a school house, and was made into a church when it was relocated to the park. The church is one of my favorite buildings on park...now if we could just get rid of the condos on the lake so we could have an unadorned view of nature in all it's splendor!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
I just had this thought this morning of the way we talk about routines or special things we do at SDC. I wondered if people made the church part of their SDC routine. Like going there first to pray for their safety and for God to watch over them as they go about the day. Or.....if they pray before they get there and do it in their hotel/motel room before they even get on the road?!

Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
I have been to the services, some more touching than others, I have spent quiet times in prayer in the church and been fully immersed with faith. Likewise I have had these same faith filled feelings elsewhere in the park, most in quiet out of the way spots. I am just saying this because I feel that though a church is a place for a few to gether in praise, one can do this anywhere in the park . Part of this ability at SDC moreso than other places comes from the faith of the founders and their attempts to keep it a faithful Christian based company. Praise Him!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:14:46 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
Ditto! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
I never really noticed anthing until we started coming for Christmas about 8 years ago, and then it was just awe-inspiring.  SDC really has a special spirit that is rooted in the faith of her founders. I feel that spirit everytime I go there, and it beckons me to come back.  I feel sorry for the multitudes that walk through her gates and never take time to sense that spirit. I know I didn't for a long time. But now I drink deeply of it every time I have the opportunity.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
I get that feeling from the moment I turn down the road to SDC until I leave in the evening.  But the spirit at Christmas time brings me to tears.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
I could actually feel the Spirit of God (the anointing) 2 years ago when I went to see Dailey and Vincent at the Opera House. They sang "By the Mark." At the end of the song they put down their instruments and sang the song worshipfully, acapella. It was beautiful. After the show, there were a couple of older gentlemen in the bathroom by the Opera House and I heard them talking about how that song brought tears to their eyes. Unfortunately I was unable to see Dailey and Vincent this year.
Colorado SDC Fan

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
Thanks for posting. :)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »
I also appreciate the post....Another time I felt the presence of God was when Ricky Skaggs was the final performer of the Bluegrass Fesitival...Seems like that was 3-4 years ago. He practically preached a message during the show...I love the Bluegrass Festival...
Colorado SDC Fan

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Bringing back an old thread. I feel His presence really strongly in that building, but I feel the presence of God everywhere in the Ozark.

Like "preachin' Bill" in SOTH says God was sure looking at the Ozarks when He looked at the works of His hands and called it good. Which I had the book with me. I quote it more precisely.

But to answer the question, I attended service there on Sunday when I was there in October, and I could feel God's presence there. The church was packed and the sermon was good. I understand that the preacher there has only been there a couple years, but he is a very good preacher.