Author Topic: Corn Crib Theater  (Read 11630 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Corn Crib Theater
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:03:09 AM »
Where on Highway 76 was Shad's Wilderness Settlement and Corn Crib Theater located?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Corn Crib Theater
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
This is something I look for each time I pass through  Branson. When the Wilderness Settlement and Corncrib Theater were torn down...everything was flattened, including every tree on the acreage. EXCEPT last time I looked, there was still one building on the property. It was a very small, old west style craft shop that sat on the edge of the property. I want to say somebody had a glassworks or leather shop in it. It was on West Highway 76 past the Gretna Road ilntersection and Whitewater. Seems like it was just east of Whitewater on the south side of the highway. If you can get one of our SDCFans contributors, "Mr.heha" on line here, he could tell us because he worked there for a few years before it closed. If you want to, you can go to the Web site:    www.homerlee.com to the "contact" section, ask your question there and "Mr.heha" will probably answer your question directly within 48 hours.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Thanks Junior!  My family went and saw the Toby show during our first visit to SDC back in the mid 70's.  I've always tried to look for the property but could never find it.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
It was between where the Blue Bayou Inn and Jim Stafford Theater are located, and across from the Lodge of the Ozarks.  There is a T-shirt place that sits on the location now.  And I think the little building Junior is talking about is still there, but it seems like it's an ice cream place now.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:38:23 AM »
Thanks Zephon!
Thanks again Junior.  I contacted Mr. Heha (before I saw Zephon's), and he replied with the same information.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
And for a blast from the past....a scan of my mint condition Corn Crib Theater brochure!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/2538015921/in/set-72157601729928940/
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
Thanks for a look at the brochure. This one really talks up Shad's credits on TV. Must be from the late 60's or early 70s?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Here's my ad from 1971 in case I haven't shared it already.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:07:48 PM by rubedugans »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
I'm proud of Dawn. We went to Branson High School together. She got a great education and has done well. Her dad was my drama teacher in high school. Dawn worked at the Corn Crib Theater, the Lost Silver Mine play, and, I think, Shepherd of the Hills, too. We went to high school with Bruce Herschend, (Jack's son) who has Talking Rocks Caverns now, and Kelly Trimble, whose dad owned Shepherd of the Hills at the time, and Shawna Snadon, whose dad, Gary, now owns Shepherd of the Hills. Kelly is out of the tourism business...has a real estate apprasial business in Branson. Shawna and her husband run a Christian ministry in Fayetteville, AR. Her sister, who went to high school with my brother, is deeply involved with the family business at the homestead. 

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
Whew, this thread was buried...had to do some searching for it.  I ran across an old Toby Show program today while I was looking for, of all things, a light meter to take to work tomorrow.  I can only guess that it is from the late 70's, because Jae McFerron as Toby is not included in it.  I thought you would all enjoy it so I scanned it and here you go...

Front of the program.

Page 2.

Page 3.

Page 4 & 5...the middle.

Pages 6.

Page 7.

Page 8...the back, with advertisements.  Don't know what the blue splotch is.

An insert featuring extra cast members

Back of the insert...we can come to your town.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Whew! I think the program posted by Zephon might be from earlier than he thought...Maybe the period of 72 or 73 through about 76-77. Dan and Richard look like little kids in the photos. Jana, Shad, and Mollie are the only other players I recognize.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
Oh, Ray, too! I think Ray was in the glassblowers shop at SDC for years. Perhaps through the mid to late 90s.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
and if I'm not mistaken, Patty Vincent played Sarie Ellen in the street troope in 1977, and maybe 1978.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »
Well, now that I think of it, it's probably 1977.  That was my first year in the Saloon, and Art Runyan was playing piano at the time.  If you're talking about Ray Jones, Junior, he is still in the Glassblowing Shop at the City.  I ran into Magellan Douglass (don't know her married name) at Dr. John Mizell's memorial a couple of weeks ago, and sadly, I couldn't place her until seeing her picture in this program.  But you're right...everyone looks so young.