Author Topic: SDC Overflow Parking  (Read 13553 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC Overflow Parking
« on: June 06, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
Gotta question for ya'll! Now that parking improvments are a year over, and Indian Point Road is repaired, in days of peak attendance does the park still have to park people west on Highway 76 going toward Branson West? They either owned or leased property that was used as parking during my time working there. We were directed to park in this large pasture, parking attendants were on hand to guide us, and then we rode a bus to the timeclocks. Guests were parked in the employee lots. That was for peak attendance days, or sometimes at festivals or special event days. But I seem to remember in recent years the park has parked guests in that pasture, and then brought them in on a bus. Anybody know anything about this parking situation?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC Overflow Parking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Wait, parking lot expansion is over?  When did they finish the lots at Stop 3?  Last I heard they were still expanding that over that way (as you can still see from Wildfire and PowderKeg)
SWOOSH

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
During Anniversary Weekend they parked in fields going toward Indian Point.  Stayed at Deer Run and the shuttle left the motel and went to those lots last.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
We parked in the lot past stop 3 on May 24.  Looks like they've gone about as far back as they can for now.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »
Last I heard, they were still "chewing away" at that hill there in the back
SWOOSH

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
the last few times that I stayed at the Notch Condos, they had overflow parking in the large open area in front of the motel
SDC has always made a great past to remember

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »
the last few times that I stayed at the Notch Condos, they had overflow parking in the large open area in front of the motel

I've seen people parking there as well, but didn't realize it was for SDC overflow.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

"Chewing away" I agree

I thought they were leaving the terrain destruction to the lesser class establishments.
Now putting in all those stops in the new lot was wonderful but they really are getting carried away.
Every time I ride Wildfire/PowderKeg I think ' man, I don't remember seeing that used car lot when this ride opened.
My assumption was that the Hershings would fight to retain what was natural, not just follow along with the  Condo developers scouring of the earth.
Well.................

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
Gotta have a place for all the visitors to park, though! I agree, I hate to see the natural landscape torn up, and really hate it now that there is a view from the window of the Wilderness Church of the condos on Indian Point. I guess they can't do too much about the view from the rollercoaster, it goes up well above the treeline! I really hate the fact that Grand Exposition is at the junction of Hwy 76 and Indian Point Road. I don't like it that the park attractions are viewable from the roadway, either. I guess I just want SDC to be hidden well in the woods, and don't want to be reminded of the "modern" world when I'm on park back in the 1880;s!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »
Are they using the parking that is off to the left of the entrance where the road splits?
There is a remnant of a parking lot there but I have never seen anyone parked there.
I do have one question.
On peek days where the people park in the fields and such do they allow them to fill the pay to park first as well?
Meaning do they keep that lot half empty?

I honestly haven't see that lot full since they finished it.
Granted I do all I can to avoid busy days at the park.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
Are they using the parking that is off to the left of the entrance where the road splits?
There is a remnant of a parking lot there but I have never seen anyone parked there.

When we were there the week of June 20th the only day we saw cars parked there was Saturday.  I had to park there myself as my group didn't get to the City until around noon.

By the way, since this was the first time I had been there in 3 years it sure was a shock to see the road split and a whole new road off to the left.  It was a little disorienting at first, but after a couple of days I figured out what they had done.  Quite an engineering feat! 
In His grip!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
Gotta have a place for all the visitors to park, though! I agree, I hate to see the natural landscape torn up, and really hate it now that there is a view from the window of the Wilderness Church of the condos on Indian Point. I guess they can't do too much about the view from the rollercoaster, it goes up well above the treeline! I really hate the fact that Grand Exposition is at the junction of Hwy 76 and Indian Point Road. I don't like it that the park attractions are viewable from the roadway, either. I guess I just want SDC to be hidden well in the woods, and don't want to be reminded of the "modern" world when I'm on park back in the 1880;s!

That has always been a huge concern of mine. I understand the need for large parking lots, but I don't like the large slabs of unobstructed concrete. I wish they would put in some grass, and tree dividers. I also know Silver Dollar City's policy of cutting down one tree, and replacing it with another somewhere else. However, I wish they would cut down one tree, and replace it with a forest. Silver Dollar City deserves to be nestled in the woods.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »
On our visit yesterday, we were made to park in the "quarry" and walk to Stop 3.  In all, it took an hour from the time we turned off of 76 to finally get to the front gate.  I was not happy to have to wait so long for trams to clear the huge crowd that was waiting patiently to get a ride to the gate.  There was a full seven minutes between trams.  It was interesting to see that the little pavilion they have there was not even in use as part of the line - instead 200 people simply stood in the 90+ sunshine with cranky kids.  At one point, I actually looked at the season pass to find the phone number to tell someone that we had been abandoned.  Normally, I'm pretty patient, but this sort of service really ruins a trip.

You only get one chance to make a first impression and set the stage - especially in the tourism business.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
There was a full seven minutes between trams
The same thing happened to us 2 months ago, and it took a long time between trains.
I think is the morning they are working on the last lot that they are parking so all of the efforts can be concentrated.  However I am not sure of what they were doing that trip.
I know a few weeks ago the line at 3 was wrapped all the way through the snake and out about 75 ft.  And train after train they kept coming in rapid service.  I honestly think it depends on the drivers that day, the sense of urgency or rather efficiency is lacking.
Its hot and there is no break in those parking lot lines.
I also do not like the way that they don't open one of those gates near where they drop you off so you don't have to walk bath through the " Q " they set up for the morning.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:36 AM »
I parked near Stop 3 today.  It was taking forever for trams when I wanted to leave, so I just walked.  I'd wager I saved an hour by walking.
SWOOSH