Author Topic: SDC calendars?  (Read 3636 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
SDC calendars?
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »
Are there any out there, or would they consider making any?
I bought a cool hillbilly calender in Branson ( a lil' $1 store up by Fuddruckers ) acouple years ago & have been reordering them ever since. It even has recipes in the back. I keep ALL my calenders & like to look at them around New Years Eve.
Just curious..

If ya want a Hillbilly calender just send check or money order to..
Hillbilly Calenders
P.O. Box 691
Forsyth, Mo. 65653
1 for $5.50 - 3 for $12.50, they pay shipping.
Mailed to one address only.
They may not be SDC calenders but they sure are close.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:32:17 PM by History Buff »
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC calenders?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
Those hillbilly calenders and postcards have been produced since the 1960's, and they are usually pretty funny. They are available all over the Branson area.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
This might be a shocker to many, but that family is an actual family who probably made their fortune posing for those photos.

I have all in the series and found out that June Ward from the candy factory used to work with the "mom" in the cards.  I believe that the family is from Galena, Mo.  I was obsessed with the SDC-ish nature of the photos in the postcards and was so surprised to find out they actually existed as a real family and June knew them.

I'm 100% positive those were not their real living conditions, but sure helped give the Ozarks it's hey day, post-Harold Bell Wright vibe.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
In response to Betamikes posting above, let me fill in a few more details, because the "hillbilly" family DOES have a SDC connection:

According to Leon Fredrick, in his book "Ozarks Hillbilly Editor," Fredrick ran a newspaper in Stone County, Missouri and prior to SDC opening, Fredrick approached the Herschends about putting in an old time print shop. They agreed, and Fredrick ran the shop...it essentially was his shop...and it made more money than the newspaper he owned. His first employee at the print shop was a fellow by the name of Bruce Seaton. Bruce grew a long beard, and developed stories to tell the tourists...before long, he became a "professional hillbilly." In addition to working at the SDC print shop, Seaton began playing "Preachin' Bill" at Shepherd of the Hills. Bruce and his wife developed the postcards and calenders you have seen since the 1960s. Bruce and his family became "well off" and the kids pictured in the photos were his.  Quoting Leon Fredrick here, "Bruce died  young from excesses brought on by worries with his money and fame."  Bruces' wife Dorthy later remarried. In the 100 year anniversary edition (2007) of the Shepherd of the Hills booklet she is honored with a profile...her name is Dorthy Kniffer, and has been with Shep. Hills since 1967. Dorothy's children are Steven, Paul, Ruth, Mark, Martha, and Kenny. She has many grandchildren.

I've got many of the Hillbilly postcards in my files/collection, too. There are many of them. They are all funny.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
I just double-checked the Shepherd of the Hills website, and Dorothy is a square dancer in the play this (2010) year. So, she's in about her 43rd year at the play...I think that she may be the longest serving employee in the history of the play, quite a feat...outlasting the Trimble family and now working with the Snadon family as owners.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC calendars?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
WOW!! I had no clue! :o Really glad we got the calenders, seems it is a link to SDC, the place we love so much. ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: SDC calendars?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »
"Washin' Day" "Women's Lib"....all classics!

You can also get the calendar at Dick's 5 & 10.  I got mine there last visit.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!