Author Topic: The oldest thing you have..  (Read 3905 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
The oldest thing you have..
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:56:04 AM »
that you personaly bought from SDC, is....

I gave my 24 yr old daughter the copper ring i had made in her name back in Sept. of 1987, when she turned 21. She still wears it as a necklace. I dont believe they make'm out'a real copper anymore, correct me if i'm wrong. I still have my metal ol'time photo from that trip too, & other regular photos with my ma & pa.
My fiance' has a cave group photo from June 21, 1976.
But the kicker is, my parents have a ol' suveigner book "thingy" from when they went to SDC for their honeymoon back in 1963 or 64. I will check with them & get back with ya all.

I'm just new to this site & am tryin' to catch up with ya all. I have read most of the old posts-topics & really enjoy reading ALL the stories & seeing all the pictures. This is my new #1 site, Thanks Everyone!! ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:14:17 PM by History Buff »
Live life like it's the last day!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: The oldist thing you have..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »
Welcome to the site.  I'm new here too and agree with you: it's also become my favorite site.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
How Do Folks:  Sure would love to see you scan and post that booklet from the 60's your parents have. It's extremely rare to see very much on this site from pre 1970, and the few people who have the stuff and have posted it are appreciated. I'd love to see it. The really old SDC stuff is very seldom seen nowadays.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »
Not if you come to my place Junior! I have the original Scientific American documenting Marble Cave. Souvenir photo books from the 20's postcards, and flyers from the 50's photos and snapshots from the 50's -now booklets and brochures from the 50's until today. A letter from Mary Herschend from the 50's talking about a new cave train, a pot from Fanabelle Nickel. MANY items from 1970 on like most people. Check my Wayback Machine thread here for a few gems. 

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=522.0

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The oldest thing you have..
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Thanks, Rube! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
Cool stuff rubedugans, Thanks for sharin'!!

I spoke with my parents.. For one, we dont have a scanner, & two, we looked for about a hour & couldnt find the ol' book thingy. But, my pa went down to Marble Cave in his sophmore year back in 1959 with some'a his buddies. He married my mother & they went down there in July 1962. They said my first visit was when i was 3 & my brother was 5, that would'a been 1968. Like i said on another topic, we have 8mm film of that trip switched over to VHS. Heaven knows where those are!! ???
My brother had one of them books he bought off e-bay, but i think he sold it....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
You will have to get the video xferred to DVD and load it up here! You can't "bait" us like that and then not come through! We love seeing the old stuff here.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
Other than the old home movies on youtube, I haven't seen any old footage of the park. I saw an 8mm reel on eBay once but couldnt justify $25 opening bid for 10 seconds of film. I'd also love to see that...see you already have us on the edge of our seats. Maybe I am crazy, but I passed on that ebay purchase. My wife already says my collection is big enough without it!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
I'm sorry, i know it seems i am baiting ya all, but we just aint very computer smart. We have a CD burnt from a trip in 2008. How would ya ever get it on this site? We tried to do the windows movie maker thing over the weekend & redo it, but had problems & said to heck with it. Our computer is about 5 years old. My pa does all the editing too because we are BIG dirt auto racing fans & that eats up most'a our time. Pa shoots video & puts it on YouTube.
I'll still keep tryin' tho'.. ;) 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »
That's all we can ask! :D

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
I know that my father still has punch tickets from the park.  We have pictures of my sister and I in 1967.  One on the stairs going into the cave.  We have a picture in front of the Butterfield Stage coach.  We have pictures of the family down on the docks at Taneycomo.   We also have Blue and Gray hats from the days when it was ok to reinact the Civil War.