Author Topic: Remember the Boxing Show?  (Read 7404 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Remember the Boxing Show?
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
When I worked on park the entertainment management toyed with a show that was a comedy version of old time boxing exhibitions. The overall premise of the Boxing Show was that a "champion" boxer had travelled to SDC, and local citizens were invited to take him on for a prize. SDC Entertainer Wayne Milnes (who later had a children's show on a Springfield, MO TV station) played one of the boxers. Jack McDowell (Who later played Mercy Pervis in Echo Hollow at the Rodney Dillard Show), also played in the Boxing Show. The show was held in what was then called the Wagonworks Barn in the Deepwoods area...that's the big hall adjacent to RiverBlast now. Guess what? I never got to see the show! I was told it was fantastic, but it only ran from time to time in a couple of seasons in the late '70's. Any current or former citizens, or any SDCFans have memories of this show, and could you explain more about it and who else was in the show?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Remember the Boxing Show?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
There is an illustration in the 1979 coloring book! I will upload one this evening for yo Junior!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
Wow, so is there actually some truth to this boxing sign?  :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/3413374022/
(Photo Credit: Dustin Holmes)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
I've seen the sign before, but believe it has been added in recent years. I don't think there is a direct connection to the old show with this.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
I did not believe it was 30+ yrs old either

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »
Perhaps the sign is simply an homage to the old show? Or perhaps it was more likely just mere coincidence. :P

Either way, it is amazing how years ago Silver Dollar City used to rely heavily on pure human entertainment, and shows. Just when I think I have heard of them all, a "new" one comes along.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:26:32 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
I remember the Boxing Show from 1978.  I think they had it in the Carosel Barn.  It was very funny and was supposed to be a boxing match but turned into more of a "pro" wrestling match.  The "Courthouse" show from the early 80s was also very funny.  It was performed at the old Courthouse which is now the Riverfront Playhouse.  The Judge was played by a very talented actor from the 70s and 80s at SDC named Wayne Milnes (I had forgotten his name but looked it up in my "Shad" book).  He also was involved in the Hatfield and McCoy feuds and played "Zenus" in the Toby show at the Corncrib Theatre on Hwy 76.  I miss him and wonder what happened to him.

Since we're on the subject of shows I have been e-mailing SDC trying to get the original Charlie/Tillie show back at the Saloon.  I must have seen it between 30 - 40 times and laughed every time.  Classic!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
Yes, the original courthouse theater presentation with the premise of a trial for Melvin the chicken thief was excellent. Wayne Milnes did play the judge. Dan Embry was the original Melvin, later portrayed by Terry Sanders.
The original Carry A. Nation Saloon show was good, too. It ran in the 1970s thru early 80s.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
Carry Nation was my favorite Saloon show by far. It was the one that I First experienced, and none have compared to that one since then for me.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
Now you're talkin' my era.  Great shows back then. 
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
In 1980, to play off the national election between Jimmy Carter/Ronald Reagan, SDC had a political rally and parade in which Eaton Doolittle (Get it: Eat-and-do-little?) ran for public office. A big announcment rally was held on main street, then a parade followed...going down Hill Street to Deepwoods Lane where another rally was held in front of the diving bell next to Lake Silver. Somehow or another a feud broke out, and the Dugan boys grabbed shotguns and fired at some bad guys who fired back at us. The highlight of the feud at the diving bell was that a stuntman jumped from the roof of the diving bell into a boat on the lake. Entertainer D.A. Calloway played Eaton Doolittle most of the time. SDC citizens particpated...attractions and entertainment workers, even craftsman. All were required to take part in the Main St. Rally, parade, and the lake rally...serving as colorful crowd fillers, mixed in with the park guests. It was the only year in my work at SDC that I got to really fire guns in feuds, boy, what fun that was! Let me tell you, getting paid for doing nothing all summer but have fun is pretty sweet! Those were the days. :)

Mrheha

• Terry as 'Deputy Birdy'
    • View Profile
    • Homerlee.com
Re: Carrie Nation...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »
The original 'Carrie Nation' in the SDC saloon show was portrayed by Bonnie Jean (Arnold then) Borden.  She retired a couple of years ago from SDC but, she drops in to visit with us from time to time & still  lives in the Kimberling City area.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
Mr.heha: Nice to have you drop on in on us! Thanks for the input about Miss. Bonnie Jean. Hope retirement is happy for her. I hope to see you when visiting SDC this summer. -Mark

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
Here we are! It took me a few days but straight from 1978-79 here are the coloring book pages.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:27:36 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »
Rube, you did it again! I've never seen these drawings from the coloring book. Thanks for posting.  :)