Author Topic: Smoking Area by PowderKeg  (Read 8793 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking Area by PowderKeg
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »
As a kid i remember corn cob pipes being for sale at the general store! I am not a smoker, but I respect the right for others to smoke as long as I don't have to be walking behind someone smoking and getting the effects of it. I think most of the areas are pretty well placed in that you might only have to walk by one side to get past....I would rather do something that I know is just as bad for me like eating fudge by the pound :)The tiramisu fudge is dang good!

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
How do all those people get to the park History Buff?  I am sure that the delivery's at night are not made in electric trucks. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
During my time on park, we were not allowed to smoke cigarettes in front of guests because it was out of theme. We were allowed to smoke pipes and cigars, or enjoy a "chaw" in front of people. I actually purchased a pipe and pipe tobbacco at the general store. Carried it with me while working, and occassionally smoked. Glad to say I outgrew that, and don't use tobbacco at all.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
Watch out for my wife, her only gripe with designated smoking areas is that we're outdoors and she should be able to smoke where ever she wants.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with her lol

MSUBear42

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
Official reply from the park:

"To clarify, Silver Dollar City has not added new smoking areas for several years, the one you mentioned at PowderKeg is one of the original smoking locations and is not a new location. "

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »
Always interested in "official replies from the park" about any subject matter here. If you are from within the park, or have a connection in the park, we welcome you and thank you for any input. Post away! Remember, sometimes misinformation gets spread on the Internet, but the opinions expressed on this Website are always from the heart...the people here LOVE all things SDC...We are the loyal and royal.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
oldsdcer

I would have to disagree with your wife.  I do not believe that anyone should have any rights taken away from them.......but I do believe that if you are going to smoke you should do so in smoking areas.  I used to be a smoker and I always tried to get away from non-smokers.  We never smoked in our house or in our cars.  Smoking is a great pleasure for some......it is just as much a nasty smelling mess for others.  Smoking areas are good ideas.  Always remember the more rights you let the government take the more they will take.

mjenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 04:02:22 AM »
Saw at least one guy that agreed with your wife.  Was smoking on Hill Street.  Really made me mad but I didn't say anything because I had the nieces in tow and didn't know how he would react.  I felt it was really unfair though that he was the one breaking the rules and I got to suffer.  I mean, they provide lots of locations to smoke, there was absolutely no reason not to use them.
Whether they see it or not smoking:
1. pollutes the air
2. is bad for health ours and yours
3. often pollutes the ground
4. is a fire hazard
I'm sure there are more reasons but hey, it's a theme park.  Set a good example for the kids.
Getting off the soap box now..:)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
At least they *have* smoking areas. It was always a pain standing line for rides at Worlds of Fun where you couldn't get away from it. (not sure if they've switched to designated areas or not)

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
My college campus recently became tobacco free however this is not enforced. It was basically put in place so we could be another Big 12 school on the healthiest campus list. Of course everyone complained their hearts out about having another aspect of their personal life controlled by the school. It's just common courtesy these days to not smoke near others. I like to burp but I'm not going to do it in someone's face!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
Eww I remember from college , leaving seminars during breaks, and the mob of smokers around the entrances of the buildings was terrible. They have since on my campus moved the smoking areas away from doorways but can still smoke in select dorms, and outdoors as long as it isn't w/in 20ft of doorways.