Author Topic: Random Stuff Round-Up  (Read 49320 times)

SteamFreak

Re: Random Stuff Round-Up
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »
The Trains are German, the 2ft. gauge which is used in the park is standard on private railways in Germany. As for the whistle, I could buy the Russian sound, only because I've never heard one, I do know that most European steam lines only have single valve uninote whistles while American whistles commonly have many valves with chimes at different lengths to create a dissonant note, the Frisco line has just such whistles. Also, Europeans were the first to start burning fuel oil in the firebox instead of a solid fuel like coal or wood while wood is still burned, oil (I've heard that its used cooking oil from SDC eateries) is the primary fuel used to heat the boiler, this enables rail lines to discontinue the use of tender cars, and eliminate the need for a fireman most of these locomotives don't even have seats for the engineers, lucky for Ickobad, they added them to the Number 13 and 43. Long story short, the trains aren't very close to the year 1880 but still make for my favroate attraction at SDC.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Okay SteamFreak. I was watching some old SDC home videos over the holidays and one question popped into my head. The old steam engine that is on display on the engineers side of the tracks as you leave the station (the one with the tender), did they ever run that engine at on the Line? I have never seen any video / pictures of that engine running?

SteamFreak

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
I've got 2 therories, One, is that it is the afore mentioned Henry Ford engine and that it was just used for display. Or 2 it was one of the first bought by the company, it had a matching tendercar and had a wheel arrangement of 4-6-0 I have seen old post cars with such an engine and tendercar being used but I'm not really sure that it would have been used, such a long wheel arrangement would have made it hard to stay on some of those curves that FSDL has but then again, they have been re-worked several times, so, I don't think I've awansered your question, but a little info anyway, I'll do some more poking around and I'll see if I can't be more helpful.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
Thanks for checking. I think I posted this previously, but I asked different employees previously how many locomotives they had and have consistently been told 5. Curious? The only thing I can think of is that they have two "running", one spare, the display and the one Ickobad wrecked?

One more thing I noticed, the passenger cars looked like they are really getting worn out. You can tell that they have way too many layers of paint on them and that there are some pretty rough spots in them. Would be nice to see some major work done on them.

SteamFreak

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
Yeah I really hope some day they'll get around to it. I've only seen a total of four locos but they may have one more just in case they have a high attendance day were 2 were needed and one have some issues.

SteamFreak

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amusement-Park-Silver-Dollar-City-MO-Train-Robbery-PC_W0QQitemZ350075304725QQcmdZViewItem

Here's that engine with a slightly differnt paint job, so I guess it had been used.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
Wow, SteamFreak. Good find. Don't you do anything during the day? Oh, you are probably at work like me!

Thanks. It is good to see that it actually ran. You know, we have some old VHS tapes that contain old 8mm footage at home. I know there is some SDC footage. I will have to take some time and see what is on it.

SteamFreak

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »
No, I really do nothing during the day. Just look up model trains to complete my SDC layout hahah and I just baked up a batch of what started out to be train cookies...apparently when they say to space them evenly...they weren't kidding...now they are just blobs...with icing...

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »
So i am not the only one then that is building the layout of the park.....Maybe I am NOT as crazy as the doctors say!!!. Yours is built out of toenail clipping then too right? uhh ummm mine isn't either. Just joking! I do think that it would be amazing to have the park on a small scale. Don't think the wife would like it too much though, I also wanted to rebuild the Saloon in my basement at one time. But ahh, I think it'd be easier to just move in to the city instead of recreating it in StLouis!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
OKay after some digging through my huge pile of SDC stuff, I came across a postcard of Adventure Town ( in New York) WITH...The Train in its' former glory as the Davy Crockett Express. Paint job is almost exactly the same as the Early Frisco that Steam Freak posted the other day....CRAZY!!!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Speaking of old SDC attractions, (nice segway huh?) now at Rawhide AZ, Here is one of the old SDC stagecoaches.
http://image34.webshots.com/34/5/54/94/281055494aRGhyL_ph.jpg
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

SteamFreak

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Speaking of old SDC attractions, (nice segway huh?) now at Rawhide AZ, Here is one of the old SDC stagecoaches.
http://image34.webshots.com/34/5/54/94/281055494aRGhyL_ph.jpg

Woah, lets see a pic of that

SteamFreak

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
BTW, the 2 cabooses are on in the same, i just saw a pic of the hillbilly caboose, it did have the large windows cut out, it is indeed the origional caboose

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 01:21:01 PM »
More of a "correct me if I'm wrong" memory:  I swear that there once was a small ferris wheel at SDC, back in the early 80's.  No one remembers it, but I have a memory when I was a kid, walking down hill, and off to the right was a lit up ferris wheel, I believe the carousel was close by.  Anyone?
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

DocSpeleo

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »
Copper had posted on here that there was a Ferris wheel located in Tom Sawyer’s Landing. It had mechanical problems and didn’t last long. The location was next to the water wheel in the Landing.