Author Topic: Jessie James Territory  (Read 35779 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie James Territory
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
I found a snapshot of the entrance area to Jessie James Territory in my scrapbooks. It is not very good, but shows the view from the rear window of my parents car in winter of 1979. You will notice the Silver Dollar City brochures "glare" on the back glass! The photo shows an old red barn that predates the theme park, a sign that says "Parking Jessie James Territory" with a black sign nailed on top of it that says "closed" to the very left, you will see two tower like structures...that was the ticket booth area. from there, you walked down a gravel path to the train depot for  your ride to the town square area. Sorry about the quality of the photo, it's the best and only photo I have of Jessie James Territory. All my dad's slides from the late 60's were destroyed in a flood. Jessie James Territory had a brief lifespan in the late 60s, early 70s, but it died about 73 when Six Flags Over Mid America opened up just down the road a few miles from it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
Jesse James Territory photo at the Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 08:24:23 AM »
That greenspace between the ticket booth and the park sign was the ENTIRE parking lot. This park was one of the last roadside attractions along Route 66 in Missouri. You will notice a strip of highway in front of the parking area...that was Route 66. We were traveling along the interstate between Springfield and St. Louis...Route 66 was a dead highway...nothing going along it. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »
I'll be out in Sullivan next week, and I would love to find this place on Google Earth for a  brief stop.....If anyone has any info on the exact exit/ location lemme know I'll get some "now" pics of whatever happens to be there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:42:41 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
Little find of mine

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
Alright, Rube! Love that penny...In fact, I think my brother and I had one just like it when we were very, very, little.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
Rube, see if you can find the Sullivan Chamber of Commerce Office or city hall...ask there...somebody should be able to tell you. The best I remember it was located on the northside of the interstate, immediately west of town. However, the city may have grown over the years, and the property could be within city limits. I seriously doubt if much is left at the site...last I heard it was private property, but the buildings were still there. The buildings would be in a tumbledown state, as they were heavily vandalized over the years. Good luck in finding it, and PLEASE post photos if you do. My cousin worked there, playing the undertaker, I have fond memories of the place, although it was third rate compared to SDC.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
The penny is from 1969, but that means nothing! I could use an indian head cent in a penny smasher, but that won't tell me what year this is from. I would assume that this is ion fact from 1969, as who who would want a souvenir cent from another year! Regarding location, I searched their website and found nothing of the park. I will email them today and see if I can find a location.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:23 PM »
Jesse James territory is unfamiliar to me but I do remember Jesse James Confusion Hill that was on Hwy 76 in Branson.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02:21 PM »
Go to "BRANSON TALK" and look under the thread other old time attractions in Branson, and you will find much info about Jesse James Confusion Hill and other old time Branson attractions.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
Here's another find. a decal which there are several for sale on Ebay if you are interested.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »
That's something that's new to me. Never seen that before. Thanks, Rube.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »
Hey Rube...wanted to check and see if you were able to make the trip through Sullivan! Did you find the location of Jesse James Territory and take some photos? I imagine very little is left.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
I emailed the city...no response. I went out there Sat....and found nothing, My last trip out there is tomorrow, and I hope to hear from the city by then because I found nothing last week.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Rube, don't be shy...when stopping in local businesses, ask someone. Talk to the older folks, someone 40 years of age or older, I know someone can point  you in the direction of the old park property, because it was a main attraction in the town for a long time. You might even find someone who can take you into the property to see what remains of the old main part of the park...the JJT town square area. I know vandals have done quite a job on the place over the years, as well as mother nature. That photo I posted of the entrance area was taken in 1979, and the ticket office has fallen down since then. If you travel along old Route 66 along the interstate on the north and west side of town, you might be able to find it. Good luck, happy hunting!