Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340746 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
Now that I went back and read my post, I realized that I sounded like a total Idiot just rambling on! LOL! But, DW said in June that they would make an annoucement in a couple weeks, and it was August before we got our, so you guys are probably looking at October.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Anticipation! that's fine with me. I look forward to seeing what it is that they have up their sleeve for the 2011 (51st) year of operation.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
If we have to wait until October, at least it's already September. There was some earlier talk about a few folks claiming to have seen some markers in and/or around the WB area not long ago. Can anyone confirm seeing anything in that area recently. I'll be there in about five weeks and will be sure to keep my eyes peeled for any signs pointing to future plans. That is, of course, if there still hasn't been any official announcement.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
There are markers on the WB site.  However no one is saying that they are for a new attraction.  They could be for utilities or the removal of any left over remnants from WB.

SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »
Hey, any activity is good activity. Any idea how long the markers have been there? Did they show up recently, or have they been there since the major demolition/removal of WB happened over the winter?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
Upon scanning the Construction/Rumors section, I thought this was a pretty interesting find under the "Possible Huss Ride Coming" thread. Particularly the quote "standing behind the Red Gold Exposition Hall" within the description that was apparently included in a 2007 ride concept survey. That would also be the old WB site, is it not? Thoughts? I personally hope they don't go in this direction. Truth be told, I'm probably not going to be too excited until we get another coaster, particularly a woodie. But that's just me.

During the 2007 new ride survey, a Huss Frisbee concept was featured alongside a topple tower similar to TT and the Screamin Swing which ended up as the chosen ride for 2007. Here's how the Frisbee was described:

Silver Dollar City’s new Grand Exposition has just gotten bigger. Standing behind the Red Gold Exposition Hall is the Exposition’s newest ride, one of the most exciting rides ever built at Silver Dollar City, The Amazing Pendulum Swing. This new ride is the featured attraction at the Grand Exposition of 1882, standing nearly 75 feet tall, with a giant pendulum arm that swings riders back in forth while rotating over 110 degrees. This unique attraction is not for the faint-of-heart as it reaches speeds of nearly 60 miles per hour as it swings back and forth, high above the grounds of Silver Dollar City’s new Grand Exposition. The ride soars out over cascading water and shooting fountains that spray bursts of water onto some of the riders, adding yet another element of thrill and suspense to the attraction.

So it seems like it could be a strong possibility that SDC will go back to this concept, as it was definitely an attractive one. I personally hope they do, as Huss Frisbees are excellent rides, and are usually regarded as favorites among enthusiasts. The only problem standing in the way of such a ride would be the Herschends distrust of Huss. If it came down to it, the Herschends could always go to Intamin for a similar ride, but they don't make frisbees as well as Huss. Really, Huss has only ever had major problems with their topple towers, and they do have a good reputation, especially for their frisbees, but will the Herschends see this?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
I don't think the chain is ever going back to HUSS for any new attraction after the issues with Timber Tower, which to this day is still an $8 million lawn ornament. I haven't seen HUSS do much of anything lately. Besides that less-than-impressive Kong ride concept, they haven't installed much in the last few years. All the rides they do have out there have lots of mechanical issues and take forever to fix due to how long it takes to get in parts.

That's a shame too, because I love their frisbees and Top Spins'.

I don't think we're going to be looking at a new flat ride anyway, though I could be wrong.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
From what I understand they were talking about aroung behind the red gold to the left of the Elephant march...
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Gotcha. We should start a friendly wager/poll to see how many (if any) of us correctly predict the next new attraction. Not what we would necessarily want, but what each of us thinks HFEC will ultimately do/add next.

Weigh in with your vote:

1. An Adventure Mountain type attraction suited for multiple age groups
2. A new play area exclusively for kids
3. Improvements to an existing attraction (e.g., AP, GG, etc.)
4. The long anticipated woodie coaster
5. A Euro-Fighter type coaster similar to DW's Mystery Mine
6. Another water ride
7. Expansion of GE with leftovers from CC
8. Shot Tower
9. <Your other option here>

I predict an improved Euro-Fighter experience that will ultimately top DW's MM.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
I'm going with the Shot Tower because they could use the Waterboggan tower with it.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
Speaking from my own opinion only, I think it’s time for a new coaster! It has already been five years since the last brand new coaster was erected upon these Ozark hills, and it will be even longer before a new one is finally built, and operational.

Family rides are great, and I believe with the River Blast, and especially with The Grand Exposition, the needs for a new family ride have been met for a while.

Additionally, I think the park's quota for new thrill seeking stationary ride has already been met with The Giant Swing.

So here is my vote for a new coaster! ;D

However, I am actually not picky about the type of coaster. It can been an indoor, or outdoor coaster. A wooden coaster would be nice, but that too is not a requirement in my book. As long as the theme is adequately there, then I am all for it. Sorry, this is more of a want rather than a prediction.  :P

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
Sorry, this is more of a want rather than a prediction.

So what's your prediction then?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
The terrain, the surrounding buildings and the presence of the old tower from WB lead me to believe it's the ideal location and footprint for a ride similar to MM. And as I've said many times. HFEC seems to have a real handle on keeping the park balanced with the types of rides and their positioning within SDC. Having some sort of coaster in that area of the park just seems logical to me. That's why I'm sticking with my prediction for a Euro-Fighter on the abandoned WB site.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 02, 2010, 07:14:48 PM »
Remember that a great deal more people live within six hours of DW as compare to SDC.  DW also has to compete against some very good parks and attractions I am not sure that SDC has any real competition they are the king of the hill.

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 02, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
I just hope it's not a freakin Zip Line. But looking at the area and terrain and the fact the bogin tower would make a good launch point.

Branson already has too many of these, I just hope it's not a Zip line.