Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337105 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
I saw the kid's area concept too. Looks like a good idea to me, many have pointed out that there's not much to do at SDC for young kids other than the two rides in GE. This would make up for the loss of the old Landing. We'll see how the new furry characters work out though.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
Okay...I am way behind, as usual.  But I never went to CC, so I have no idea what those rides are.  But I really want to see the balloon chase back and the SDC carousel.  The same carousel that there are pictures of me and now pictures of my kids on.

And I would LOVE to see the half dollar holler come to fruition.  But maybe without the weird animals
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
The balloons will be back, but they need major refurbishment.  The carousal is gone and will never return, but a new one may some day! I saw some of the animals from the carousel in the paint shop the other day, they may be planning on using them for décor someplace.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
Can someone post the concept art (or whatever) in a format that I can see?  For some reason we did not get this survey. :-\
Does it look anything like something at Dollywood?

Looks like a good idea to me, many have pointed out that there's not much to do at SDC for young kids other than the two rides in GE.
Actually, our daughter did not have to wait very long to be able to ride every ride in GE with the exception of Electrospin.

And I would LOVE to see the half dollar holler come to fruition.  But maybe without the weird animals
Is that the name?  I love it. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:23:05 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:14 AM »
It's interesting that in the photo montage they stuck a picture of Ed Harris as City Marshall Virgil Cole from the movie "Appaloosa"...
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
Perhaps I just don't know how to do this...but is there a way someone could blow up the plans in the middle of the board for Half Dollar Holler. I'd like to get a better idea of what it is they are planning, and where it would be positioned on park. I'm also wondering, why rip out Tom Sawyer's Landing and replace it with RiverBlast when maybe all they should have done is seriously upgrade and rehab the landing, and put RiverBlast back where the Half Dollar Holler might go?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:03 PM »
If they put the Half Dollar Holler in where the water boggin is it will make that entire area of the park " Kid" oriented. Maybe they will do away with the Geyser Gulch to open up more room for rides.  I am surprised at this latest development for the area.
Is this too much real estate for this demographic?
The advertisement on the poster says  is " Fun for the entire family" but they also played the river battle out the be for the entire family.
Thoughts?

MSUBear42

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
Nah I'd rather them hide it (Roaring Falls) back behind GG.

I just hope they find a way to have it splash to where it looks like it is landing in the lake, I think that would be awesome.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Here is the photo that was included in Tinmann's post 2 pages back for those of you behind network blocks:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:46:18 AM by shavethewhales »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »
^Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This looks like it could easily fit in the old Land of Lost Crafts; that's where I would locate it.  That would put something for the little ones at both ends of the park, give them an area to play in while the adults switch off on the thrill rides, and force parents to cross the park (thus passing by concessions and shopping) to get from one area to another.

I can't read the map in the center to see exactly what is labeled in there, but I think this harkens back to the days when there was another puppet show.  Some of those stories existed in coloring books, didn't they Rube?

It's also interesting, now that the Roy Rogers/Dale Evans museum is defunct, that SDC is touting a list of virtues.  RR had a list of such virtues in his cowboy club.

And it appears this may be the new home of the sheriff.

Now, again I ask, does this look like anything we see at Dollywood?  Where were these photos taken?

And what questions were asked about this attraction?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:48:53 PM by History Buff »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2010, 11:55:04 PM »
Guys, this might just be my eyes deceiving me -- but if you look at that concept art map you're going to see several things.  First of all that little tree house that all the photos are of surrounding the map is just a very small portion of the map.  In fact it is just the upper right hand part of the near area.  

So now you're asking, "Well Swoosh, what's the rest of that structure then?"
Take a good look at it -- doesn't it strike you as odd that it looks like the artwork for this year's addition to Dollywood's Adventure Mountain? Multiple towers with very narrow "paths or perhaps 'obstacles'" in between them -- I'm sure it cannot be too much of a coincidence that DW's Adventure Mountain also has a kiddie area nearby.

Also add in the fact that there were LOTS of rumors that WWB's area was going to be used for an Adventure Mountain... things seem to be falling into place.

...and just throwing this out there... do you think that circle thing could be a carousel?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:55:50 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »
Um, no, that was me that posted the pic....and yes, there ARE markers in the middle behind the trees, towards the top of the hill...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
Ah, sorry Tinmann, I didn't look closely enough.

Yeah, the back stretch does look exactly like a ropes course, with Half-Dollar Holler being the small square area inside. The square at the top could be some sort of re-use of the old Waterboggin tower.

Anyone going soon who can grab some shots of the markers?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
But this was just a survey, right?  They were gathering information about public interest, right?  Hopefully they will get the message that a ropes course would have to be heavily themed not to detract from the mood of the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
I think it was more of a "this is what we are going to do next year, will you like it?" survey.
They did the same thing with the Culinary School
SWOOSH