Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340629 times)

sdcforever

Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
Interesting.  Sounds like a long process, which means we'll probably be seeing a large fence in that area of the park next year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Hole v2.0?  ;) ;D
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Hard to believe those slides have been there in one form or another since 1987. They were probably the most offensive ride to the SDC theme that the park ever built before the flying elephants came along. I mean, at least the coasters are kind of hidden and themed. I can't imagine what all the 'purists' thought about it back then.
So overall, it's no loss to the park, but it will sure feel strange having such a big piece of the park missing. I mean, what will they hang 3+ stories of christmas lights off of?

This frees up a huge area though. Definitely enough room for a g-fighter. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be another adventure mountain.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
I accepted the Boggan with the old boats - at least they looked like wood - but rubber rafts?

No Adventure Mountain!!!

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
The Waterboggan tower was (and still is to some point) the only visible structure of the park from Hwy 76.  I think the removal of it will be quite shocking next season, but it really will not be that big of a loss.  It had a terrible pph, not to mention it was not handicap accessible and very obtrusive to the landscape of the park. 

==

Now regarding Adventure Mountain.  I highly doubt that concept will come to our park mainly because the visitors to our park are a lot different that Dollywood.  While Dollywood's visitors are more of the type you'd see at any ol' amusement park, SDC still relies heavily on the older "motorcoach" visitors who have no interest in nets and other stuff....

... I say that, but then I keep hearing that the whole structure of Geyser Gulch is coming out too, so who knows at this point.  Adventure Mountain could very well be the next thing to take residence in this area of the park.... but I personally am hoping for a G-fighter.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
^I'd be VERY surprised if they took out Geyser Gulch. I mean, there's the possibility that they've got some plan to turn that entire side of the park into some type of massive play attraction with ropes courses and other gimmicks, but I think the most likely thing is that they're going to wrap a G-fighter around Geyser Gulch. I can see the tower being a bit behind where SH was, with loops and a queue line extending up the area vacated by WW. Sure, Geyser Gulch will probably be in the way of the new coaster, but I wouldn't think they'd tear out one of the park's most popular attractions for the photogenic benefit of the new ride.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
^It does seen that GG is a maintenance problem - always having to be repainted (since it's not plastic).  The whole color scheme is very 80s with the pastels and the whole thing is so NOT A TREE HOUSE.  I really don't like the guns in the ball area - they didn't even try to theme them - and the noise in the area intrudes on other areas.  It sounds as if we may be on the cusp of a new area being developed and themed.  I like the idea, depending on the theme (Of course, I can think of a few that could be really awesome.).  You make a great point about the skyline and visibility from the road.  Zephon told me that they limited the height of the Opera House because of the look of it from the top of Cardiac Hill; it's almost like they did not consider the same for WW.   I would not miss GG or WW - I haven't been able to convince my daughter to ride WW yet, and don't fancy walking around soaked.  I always wondered about the SH and the no swim suit policy that is broken all the time in that area.  I'm hopeful for a newly-themed area for that space.  Swoosh, did you imply that the theater would be affected?  A new, larger indoor venue would be great!

Does anyone think a connected water park may be in the works for this side of SDC?  I wouldn't like that, but if HEAVILY THEMED it could work.  Is there space for such an idea?  How about a resort property?  What happened to the crafts survey that came out this year amidst all the questions about which attractions we would least/most want to lose?

I'm really not rambling - now you know how my brain works.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:50:14 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
I've never been a huge fan of GG's impact on the lake atmosphere myself, but you've got to admit: it's a really fun place for the kids. It was built when I was still a kid, and I LOVED running around scooping up the balls, running upstairs, and loading them into cannons. It's such a huge, noisy, crazy place - I can't think of any other play area quite like it. With it AND the landing gone, what are the tykes going to do? GE has only small handful of rides, and you have to wait in line for those. If they're really planning on taking GG down, I'm sure they're planning on building something similar to it on a grander/easier to maintain scale.

If they're doing that though, it's doubtful we're getting a coaster though. Which audience do you think the park is shooting for? We haven't had anything to get the media excited in a long time, but the park has been trying so hard in the last few years to bring back young families...

I wonder if they'd spring for a coaster besides a new woodie or a G-fighter. Wasn't there some rumor back a long time ago about a spinner at SDC?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
Here is my opinion on all of this...

I think Geyser Gulch is in need of a major overhaul.  The guns there do not fire like they used to and a lot of gimicks in the area need to be fixed.  Personally I say move all of that to Tom Sawyer's Landing.  There is already some rope towers there, expand the offering and put in a new foam ball area over there with the new gimmicks and better guns that are out there. 

Where Geyser Gulch is can become the new Mystery Mine area. 

Where the current tower for Waterboggan is can be the tallest point of the Adventure Mountain area. 

I think both of these additions would be less intrusive then the current WB tower.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »
^Perfect thinking, IMHO. It accommodates all possibilities in terms of attractions without getting completely rid of anything.

Joy

sdcforever

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
^^I like your ideas, except for the Adventure Mountain.  I don't want an AM at SDC.  I just can't get excited about an attraction like that.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »
I think it's pretty much a given that it will eventually come to SDC
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »
We can still base some hope on the theory that SDC's crowd is too different to warrant an AM. I mean, I don't see it being a hit at DW either, really. It might be semi-popular the first year, but in 5 it'll probably be deserted.

Man, I wonder if they'll build back into the parking lot on the other side of the tracks. I know there was a concept in 2007 about expanding the expo with a huss frisbee back there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »
^Well they have a KMG Afterburner that needs a home... and a shoot'd chutes, and a wooden coaster, and a lazer light show, and....
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
^^I also think there is a different demographic at SDC than DW, and that's why I feel an AM won't work at SDC.  If they are considering it (which I'm sure they are) I hope they wait three or four years to see how well an AM works at DW before greenlighting one for SDC.  Because, I agree, it will probably be basically deserted after the first couple of years.

It sounds like there are exciting changes in store for 2011 and beyond.  Perhaps the beginnings of that new area of the park that will be connected by the train that we've heard rumblings about? :)  It's so fun to speculate about these things! :D