Author Topic: The Train Holdup Skit  (Read 29208 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: The Train Holdup Skit
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
Wasn't the Wilderness Church "made" from the logs of an old schoolhouse in the area?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
Back during the time I was on park, the train robbers were more likely to be hit in the face by popcorn thrown by guests, or have part of a coke poured on them. If they got any money at all, it was likely a few pennies or a nickel.  I'm glad to hear they give the money to charity nowadays.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
Have I said something wrong by suggesting to put up a sign?  I've not suggested anyone is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes; HFE is quite open about the faith of its leadership.  In fact, I think putting a sign up about the charity would actually put more money in the kitty.  I can't imagine too many people actually would do research about a theme park's charity online before visiting the park, but putting up a sign at the station would be a direct way of involving more people in giving.  Some people just want to know so they can have a choice.  Like I said, some would put in more (just look at the responses in this thread), but some may opt to give to another charity or church that does good for the community, and that would be OK too.

Now, back to the topic of this thread...was there a time when Ma was actually in the skit or is my memory not what it used to be?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:03:53 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
Have I said something wrong by suggesting to put up a sign?  I've not suggested anyone is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes; HFE is quite open about the faith of its leadership.  In fact, I think putting a sign up about the charity would actually put more money in the kitty.  I can't imagine too many people actually would do research about a theme park's charity online before visiting the park, but putting up a sign at the station would be a direct way of involving more people in giving.  Some people just want to know so they can have a choice.  Like I said, some would put in more (just look at the responses in this thread), but some may opt to give to another charity or church that does good for the community, and that would be OK too.

Now, back to the topic of this thread...was there a time when Ma was actually in the skit or is my memory not what it used to be?

I think a sign or something like it would be a good idea.  But there's a problem with it.  For those who have never ridden the train, the holdup is a surprise.  So if you put up a sign, it ruins that surprise.  I remember the first time I rode the train when I was three or four years old and how surprised I was at the holdup.

As for Ma being in the skit, not that I can remember.  Granted, I have only been going to SDC since the mid to late 80s.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Hmmm... maybe the sign could be at the place the robbers stop the train? Or have it at the exit of the depot, where you see it getting off but not on? So it at least assures people of where their money went but still not spoil the surprise.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
I think a sign or something like it would be a good idea.  But there's a problem with it.  For those who have never ridden the train, the holdup is a surprise.  So if you put up a sign, it ruins that surprise.  I remember the first time I rode the train when I was three or four years old and how surprised I was at the holdup.

I thought of that, or an announcement over the speakers after the holdup.  These would be nice, but still do not tell people ahead of time.  I don't think it's much of a mystery to adults that there will be a holdup on a train in a theme park, so a sign at the depot would be simple.  Maybe a short message could be placed on the map or in the Times.

As for Ma being in the skit, not that I can remember.  Granted, I have only been going to SDC since the mid to late 80s.

I am almost certain that there was a Ma for a while.  I don't know why I'm just now thinking about it, but it seems that Ma was a mean old cuss who really bossed the boys around.  That means they couldn't look for Ma on the train, but maybe that was different too.  Of course, I could be thinking about another train in another place.  Maybe Junior or Zephon can remember.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:39 AM »
I was in the infancy of my citizenship in 1978, but I do remember a woman taking part in train robberies in '77 and in '78. I cannot remember her name, but she did rob trains on the side...she was in the street troupe in Hatfield/McCoy Skits most of the time. She was photographed in 1977 by a company photographer, and the shots were placed in the "Silver Dollar City Wish You Were Here" booklet released in 1978. Want to see a woman robbing the train? Check it out on my Flickr page at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

I honestly don't know if she was playing "Ma" or if she was a sister or cousin to Alphie and Ralphie Bowlin. Maybe Zephon can call Randy Stowe up in the Entertainment Office and ask him...Randy was both a Junior Dugan and a Bowlin boy at the train in '78 and '79.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
Thanks.  I may be remembering those pictures since I have that particular book.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »

I thought of that, or an announcement over the speakers after the holdup.  These would be nice, but still do not tell people ahead of time.  I don't think it's much of a mystery to adults that there will be a holdup on a train in a theme park, so a sign at the depot would be simple.  Maybe a short message could be placed on the map or in the Times.

I am almost certain that there was a Ma for a while.  I don't know why I'm just now thinking about it, but it seems that Ma was a mean old cuss who really bossed the boys around.  That means they couldn't look for Ma on the train, but maybe that was different too.  Of course, I could be thinking about another train in another place.  Maybe Junior or Zephon can remember.

And if after the announcment you decided that you didn't like the charity do you get to go back and rob the robbers.  I'm just kidding History Buff.  I guess I just hate this modern day onslaught of political correctness.  Something seems wrong when you have to be careful about running a charity in fear of offending people, so you feel compelled to plaster signs everywhere to cover your buttocks.  It is sad, but it takes courage for a corporation to state their deeply held beliefs.  Most corporations sterilize it to the point of being almost like the "Human Fund" of Seinfeld fame.  So they end up trying find a charity to throw money at just for the sake of public relations.  Kudos to SDC, and I have great respect for them for that. 

I  remember a "Ma" also.  It did seem like she was always yelling at the boys to get in the house.  Maybe that was at Dogpatch.  Did Dogpatch have a robbery?

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »
Yes, indeed, DP had a train "Robbery", or stop, at the moonshine shack...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:19 PM »
Not that it's the same, but Cindi Lauper's "charity" on this season's Celebrity Apprentice is some "Gay/Lesbian/Transgendered Awareness" fund.  I have faith that SDC isn't going to do something like that with my money, but I want to know.  "Charities" these days could be just about anything, and I expect just some amount of disclosure before I blindly throw money at it.  I'm the one who checks out the list of United Way charities before filling out my card at work every year, and have found a couple of organizations on the list that have given me cause for concern (i.e., Planned Parenthood).  It's not about being politically correct; being politically correct would be adding a tax to my income to make sure all charities get the same percentage - without regard to personal preference.

Back on the topic (again), I never went to Dogpatch, so that can't be what I'm remembering.  Perhaps it was Frontier City, Opryland, or SF/Texas.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
I do remember seeing the "stop" at Dogpatch...I think Earthquake McGoon took part in the moonshine skit. Opryland, to the best of memory, did not have a robbery or skit on their train, it was simply transportation from one part of the park to another...I remember one of the Opryland train stations was named "Grinder's Switch" after Miss Minnie Pearl's comedy monologs about her hometown. Six Flags St. Louis never had any skits on the train ride, either, it was like the Opryland train ride.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:43 AM »
It would be hard to imagine a train ride without a hold up skit, or at least some kind of visual entertainment along the way.  Seems like it would be a time waster at a theme park.  Another reason to like Silver Dollar City. 

I took my five year old daughter and four year old son on the train this past season and will never forget the look on their faces when we stopped and the robbers came out.  They both looked at me with goofy grins on their faces as if to say; "are you serious"?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
The robbery is one of my six-year old daughter's favorite things on the park.  I agree that Gunner and T-Bone were 2 of the best.  I remember Gunner as the conductor with a funny line as we passed The Giant Swing: "And there's The Giant Swing, part of Wilson's Farm.  You know who Wilson's Farm was named for?  It was Bob Farm, a local farmer".  Hilarious! 

Also, when my daughter was 2, we were at Spring Family Break Days and the temperature was in the low 40s.  She had on some kind of Nordic looking outfit with a hood with tassels on either side of it.  Gunner, as one of the Bolin boys during the robbery, said "Look- a baby Baldknobber".

I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »

Not that it's the same, but Cindi Lauper's "charity" on this season's Celebrity Apprentice is some "Gay/Lesbian/Transgendered Awareness" fund.  I have faith that SDC isn't going to do something like that with my money
Wow,
what a telling statement.
I may not understand everything out there and I may not agree with everything that goes on in this world but that statement sure shows your colors.
All types of people need support.
She isn't doing N.A.B.L.A awareness work.......