Author Topic: SDC's 2008 Project  (Read 63416 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2008 Project
« on: August 22, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
Hints will start dropping about whatever is happening in 2008 very soon. Watch the blog and for random things to start popping up in the park.

My guess is still that we'll see the Landing revised, as they are finally getting around to fixing up the Mansion and other things this off-season, among other things.

Whatever happens, we know that it will be pretty large, as the capital investment for this year is reported to be at the very least in the $5 million range, and it could be as high as $8 million. We also know that 2008's improvements will not include a new coaster, as that was said early on by park officials. (2009 is a whole different story though).

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:58:37 PM by shavethewhales »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Project
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »
I am expecting improvements all around the park this year. But in 2009 I want another roller coaster!! Remember that I am going to the park the last weekend in September, so I can look at anything you guys want me to....
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:55:40 PM »
^Yeah, be sure to keep an eye out. It should be somewhat obvious what's a clue if you've been to the park very often, but sometimes you never know what they're getting at, so be sure to look around carefully.

There are at least a couple of random improvements planned for around the park, but I expect there will be at least one central big new thing this year, even if it isn't even a ride. I'm hoping for new shops even if they aren't in the midtown area. If we get hit with new games I'll be mad.

I'm also starting to wonder if maybe they could be bringing back one of the old flat ride concepts, like the shot tower or the frisbee, or even something completely new, seeing as The Giant Swing was such a hit. I still think the park needs more shops rather than rides though. Everyone disagrees with me because SDC doesn't have as many rides as other parks, but remember: SDC isn't a traditional, cookie-cutter, ride-oriented park, it's almost a real city, and that's what makes it so special. Face it: other parks are only as good as their rides, but SDC only has a handful of rides, yet it ranks with Disney and Universal.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »
I'm also starting to wonder if maybe they could be bringing back one of the old flat ride concepts, like the shot tower or the frisbee, or even something completely new, seeing as The Giant Swing was such a hit. I still think the park needs more shops rather than rides though. Everyone disagrees with me because SDC doesn't have as many rides as other parks, but remember: SDC isn't a traditional, cookie-cutter, ride-oriented park, it's almost a real city, and that's what makes it so special. Face it: other parks are only as good as their rides, but SDC only has a handful of rides, yet it ranks with Disney and Universal.

Here's what I would love to see in '08:
Grandfather's Mansion rehab- Don't change the history of the ride, but make it more modern
More Shops- Midtown area.
A new major flat ride if more shops aren't built.- I would love to see the once-proposed pendulum swing come to the Grand Exposition.
Tom Sawyer's Landing Revival- I would love to see this area come back to life into what it was like whenever I was little.

If all this were to happen that would go over the budget that I've heard that their planning to use.

I agree with you though Whales. Now that SDC is a top ranked attraction in the US, I don't want them to go all thrill on me. I still want the park to hold the great charm that the park has always held.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2008 Project
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »
Well if you ask me I've been going to sdc for all my life foe 17 years and I know this is a classic i would like to see them do rehab on fire in the hole or the flooded mine "I mean even disney does rehab on there classics.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
So I've been reading around and it turns out that the rumor that the park will expand down the left side of the main square facing the back of the park is older than I thought. I still think it's a pretty big possibility though, I mean, that's the absolute perfect spot for the next coaster, provided it doesn't mean that the cave collapses. Anywhere else would be pretty crowded unless they put it back in the woods.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:41:48 PM »
actually you would be suprised of how much land they have, they have A BUNCH, when your going up the hill on wildfire at the very top look straight ahead and they own all that land plus more.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
^I've always liked that about the Herschends, they really plan ahead. Unlike so many major parks, we'll never have to worry about the park running out of room.

This also makes it very interesting in speculating where they could put a new attraction, as they could expand pretty much anywhere. So far the obvious points are off the main square, in the Grand Expo behind the RGH Hall, behind Wilson's Farms, and on the soon to be completed loop that will connect Wildfire to Powderkeg (I've speculated that this loop will be closed for the last three years, but alas, it's never happened yet for whatever reason).

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
When is the loop from wildfire to pk suppose to be done?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
^Who knows, it's been like that since 2001. It is set up though (to what I can tell, at least) for a path to branch off from the loop, go down the hill between the two coasters, and then fork in three or more directions. That valley down there would sure make good terrain for a woodie...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »
So I've been told that it's unlikely that SDC will do anything to the Landing, or even Mid-Town this year. Of course, no one but those in charge really know, but it sounds to me like the park is searching for another family attraction, pitted at those 12 and older. Maybe we're in for a Splash Battle after all? I hope not. I'm still holding out for some type of new shopping establishment, SDC knows that shopping is still their biggest draw, besides the experience as a whole.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »
Who told you?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »
Another person who was there at last year's Coaster Christmas.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
Hmmm...well how does he know?? I don't know, I guess I'm just skeptical over some things. A new flat ride? Shot tower?? Pendulum swing? Pleasssssse no splash battle!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »
This is all out of my head. I am not saying it might or will happen.

I would love to see the Landing moved to the other side of Geyser Gulch. They would have to move their maintenance and construction warehouses, but that is fine. Re-theme Geyser Gulch to fit with Tom Sawyer’s storyline. I have always hated the themeing of Geyser; it is the sore thumb of the City.

Create the New Landing for young adults (target ages 15-35) with a great B&M hyper-coaster throughout the woods and a Woodie for those of you who like them!!!!!  Add a new carousel made by SDC crafts people and use the old horses to create a new Carousel Barn that can hold the carousel and special events. The Carousel Barn can hold an amazing Santa’s Wonderland for the Christmas season ect. The new Landing area would eventually connect to Wilson’s Farm. New restaurants and shops would be added to the Landing area as well. Also the new Rube Duggin’s Diving Bell would make a great addition to this area. I know SDC would love to have a larger indoor theatre and they could do it in this location. The theatre could have a fly-space something the Opera House doesn’t have.

In the old Landing area revamp the Crafts on park making them the center of attention. For example a new glass blowing shop in this area would be great.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:42:22 PM by Copper »