Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168464 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
WOW I never noticed that!  :D
I was envisioning what they used to have here at the McDonald's for kids birthdays inside a caboose ...Thanks for finding that..2 things I have learned today, watch out , my brain is gettin' full!!!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
I remember eating in the McDonald's caboose they had/have in Barstow, CA. That was a pretty fun way to eat. I think it'd be pretty cool if they built a caboose restaurant at SDC!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
The ladies in front of the caboose are a mystery to me. Never heard of such a thing on park. Could this be a publicity shot taken somewhere else? What is the origin of your photo? I think I see light poles on a parking lot in the background on the right. It appears photo was taken in the 60s or early 70s.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
I must have sat in front of that photo for 15 minutes yesterday wondering where it could be...I am plumb out of ideas other than a PR event like you said, well moving on !!!

If only things were this cheap to get in now...

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
Here is oneof my favorite photos from around 82'

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:30:14 AM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:58 AM »
1964 I LOVE this one, it is taken right outside of the Blacksmith shop, the cars are parked where the candy store now is (The reverse of the sign says "Silver Dollar City Pop: 27 26 Subject to Change by the Marshall"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:01:36 PM by rubedugans »

sdcforever

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
Wow!  All three of those photos are amazing.  Your collection continues to impress me! :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
NEVER have I seen what that area of the city looked like that far back! So who are the folks in the photo? It that your grandparents, Rube? Don't tell me this snapshot is something purchased of ebay or found in a flea market in Springfield! Keep 'em coming, Rube! Everytime you post something like this my jaw drops.  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
Angle #2 looking up at the previous photo location from Flossie's Fried Fancies (Funnel Cakes). This is how I knew what appeared on the back of that sign!
My favorite part is the car parked RIGHT IN FRONT of the blacksmith shop!!!!! If only I could have that spot on my visits :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
Rube! Can you tell us who the people are in the photo at the sign?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
Distant Relatives, no one too close (not close enough to remember anything other than great aunt... or great uncle...) :) 2 photos that I would never sell though, they show a part of the park that is not like that anymore. I hope you all have enjoyed them as much as I have-I believe they are from 1964.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
Wow, those are some great pictures. What great parking spots!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
Yeah, I tell you, one of the cool things I was able to do at the end of the 1981 season is drive around the park the day after it closed in my dad's pick-up truck picking up the "atmosphering" pieces scattered at the attractions around the park and putting them into storage for the winter at the train depot...which is now a gift shop. The pathways in the old part of town were narrow enough I had to go slow. Cardiac Hill was tough for the truck to make it up, just like for people. If you want to see some choice parking from days gone by, look at the 50th anniversary site at the photo taken from the air of the town square area...it was initially used as a parking lot.

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »
I don't think the caboose pic was taken at SDC the huge brick building in the background looks nothing like anything at SDC one, I think this caboose is now sitting in the Branson yard just up from the Depot.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »
As I have been able to deduce from the names and context clues, this was in fact a PR scheme to publicize SDC in, and around the area. What lot this was in is nothing that I will be able to deduce from the photo, but it is NOT @ SDC