Author Topic: The Wayback Machine  (Read 168450 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: The Wayback Machine
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
The waterslide was across the street at the Compton campground.

Where Mary's Well House is now? Or actually inside Compton Ridge?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Somebody else will have to answer that one.  The way I remember it is that the slide was on the left side of the entry to CR, right at the road.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
I have images of several of the current cabins being built at SDC. During a few of the crafts festivals, they were in different areas producing logs, and raising cabins. My photos show the group in the "Land of Forgotten Crafts" building the cabins on site, they would then be transported to the Campground to be completed. Cabins were also being built there; SDC's portion I believe was just PR for the Campground enticing people to come and stay in an authentic hand made cabin. Not a lot was produced for the campground, I have a few modern postcards, but no photos of the earlier days of the Wilderness. I will pull up some of the cabin raising photos this week for you thelarsonsix. And anyone else that has a request I'd be happy to oblige if I can!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
This brochure is what peaked my interest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Brochure-Silver-Dollar-City-Branson-Missouri-/160532017080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560742fb8

at first glance it didn't appear to be that old, but when I enlarged it and saw the VW bus in the picture, I realized it was probably mid 70's. It also says something about "The Outpost", I guess that's what the campground was called before Wilderness. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and it seems like they still called some of their more remote campsites "outpost".
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
I believe it is from 75'.

Here is a PC from the late 70's (78') of the pool @ the Compton Ridge Campground- was this the one?

I have a copy, but it isn't scanned, this one is for sale @ http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu218/rubedugans/card00849_fr.jpg
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:44:16 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 16, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
I think we're talking about 2 different things. Compton Ridge is still Compton Ridge. It's a privately owned campground across the highway from the Wilderness. The Wilderness is Silver Dollar City's campground. Very cool pic, however. That's the indoor pool now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:46:42 PM by thelarsonsix »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 16, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
that is the indoor pool, i had forgotten that...  checked the wbsite.   pictures match!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
SWEET NECTAR IT IS!!! I was unsure if this was the one anyone was thinking of...Atleast we figured out it is still the same 33 yrs later!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:06:53 PM by rubedugans »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2011, 03:05:34 PM »
It appears from the evidence that they took out the slide and people stopped coming to the pool.

Most of those people, by the way, are all on Medicare now.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »
 ;D

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »
thats cool!
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »
While I am searching for the cabin photos...Uh Oh.....Like the the Bolin Boys said (back in the 80's before the script was changed) Watch out for....INDIANS!!!! This is from 1985 During the National Crafts Festival in the Fall.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
I still want to see pictures of the water slide that was there..  I think it was like the Slide that is still in Branson on the strip.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
SDC had a GREAT concrete waterslide located just across the road from the campground (wilderness) they only had it there for a few years, maybe late 70s through about 80 or 81. Tore it out when Whitewater went in. It's too bad, 'cause it was a wonderful waterslide, themed with the fake "rocks" like you see at SDC. Nice and shady. At the top of the slide was a big concrete area that looked like a cave with a waterfall splashing down on your head before you went down the slide. I don't know if RUBE has any pictures of it or not. I don't even think I have any pictures of it in the promotional stuff I kept from that period. Now, if the water slide you are talking about is the "cool off, ride the giant water chute" concrete water slide in Branson, yeah, I think it's still there. it has had many owners over the years, and was even closed for a season or two, but, as far as I know, is still there and operates each summer.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
Mary's Wellhouse is located right across from the SDC Wilderness Campground on the road leading to Compton Ridge campground, but before you get to it.  The water slide was located between where the Wellhouse is and 265 on the north side of the road.  The Wellhouse was not there at the time.  There's a little draw that heads off to the north and the slide took advantage of the fall in grade down that draw.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"