Author Topic: Crowd Levels  (Read 12402 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Crowd Levels
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
You should be fine the weekend after Labor Day.  That's opening weekend for Mizzou football so most of the state will be in Columbia.  I want to say OU, OState, kU and Arkansas all have home games that weekend too so it will probably be rather quiet.

With that being said you might have a few tour busses still show up, but they'll be there for the shows and not the rides.
SWOOSH

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
In the fall we always try to avoid the weekends.  Thursday seems to be one of the best days.  Saturdays get to be a little crowded in the afternoon.  Our kids like when we go in the fall.  They get to get out of school for a coupon days.  Spend the weekend on the lake sometimes still get in a little swimming. 
What they really like is the crowd level is down for the the rides on Thursdays and Fridays. 
Nothing like apple dumpling with cinn ice cream.

shorty

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 11:55:36 PM »
Did anyone make it to Summer Ride Days this week?  Just curious about how the crowds were since they added these dates to the calendar somewhat late.

Monday and Tuesday were semi-busy.  After that most of the area schools were back in session so Wednesday and Thursday were not busy at all!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »
Was there first thing Sunday morning 8/30.  Crowd was okay but neither morning show we attended was full (Red Gold Heritage Hall and Riverfront Playhouse).  Was easy to walk through the park on our way out in the early afternoon.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
Crowds were not as large as I thought (feared) they would be this past Labor Day weekend. During the morning hours we pretty much walked on every ride. I think a lot of people maybe didn't realize the park opened early Saturday and Sunday. I saw the Barn Swing run once with one person on it. The folks who arrived early sunday went to the special church service as it had a nice crowd. Crowds did pick up in the afternoon.  All the gospel shows were filled up. Everyone seemed to really enjoy them.

mudhead

• Always ready for a spin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Saturday 9/12 saw a crowd of about 9,000
Great day to be in the city, not too hot and the rain stayed away all day.
Going through life one ride at a time.
Going to SDC since 1972, and loving every trip.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »
Had a blast, today, the weather was perfect!  The crowds seemed to flow pretty good (No waiting for Wild Fire & Thunderation), I think the restaurants had the longest lines.  Met Stella Stevens, Buck Taylor, and visited with many of the craft people, including the Sanders (corn shuck), and many others.  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sdcforever

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »
A newspaper article today has attendance details on several HFE properties.  SDC has 1.4 million visitors so far this year, which is flat compared to last year.  They see that as a "good thing".  However, WW has had a tough year, with 1/3 of their operating days being affected by the weather.  When it was sunny and hot, WW was very crowded.  Overall, WW's attendance was down 17 percent!  Showboat Branson Belle actually had increased attendance this year compared to last.  Check out the full article here:  http://www.bransondailynews.com/story.php?storyID=13418

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »
Better than you'd expect considering there's nothing new to come back to at either. Shows how well-rounded the park is that it can simply lie back and pretty much rely on repeat visitors for a few years.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »
I guess that may be true - as long as profits are still flat too.  If costs are up and profits are flat, that's not exactly success.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
Only had 8000 people in the park today.
Earlier this week they had a 1200 day.
SWOOSH