Author Topic: Selling Bring a Friend tickets to SDC.  (Read 13509 times)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Bring a Friend tickets to SDC.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
I suppose I can weigh in here, but I don't want to slap anyone's hand or get my own slapped in return.  No lies here - I have given my tickets away when I couldn't get any loved ones to commit to the date, but I gave them away on the tram or at the gate, and I accompanied the happy families through the ticket gate as per the terms of the season pass.

As for this morality debate, it's been a rich one.  I'm glad there are still people out there who even care about morality in the first place.  First of all, if it's wrong for you, then it's immoral for you.  Period.  That shouldn't be under question at all.  Secondly, if SDC wants to turn its head to allow a freebie to sneak through, then that's their business, but it really doesn't answer the question of whether it is immoral for the pass holder or the free ticket bearer.  A clerk could also turn their head to allow me to rob the store when the manager isn't looking - it's still wrong to rob the store.  And if the manager approves, it's still theft.

I know the argument - that SDC isn't going to profit over a ticket not used - people spend money once in the park - but by not holding myself by a written agreement (terms, conditions), I have broken a written "contract".  I suppose that makes me a little bit dishonest, whether SDC still profits or not.  The ends rarely justify the means.  I doubt if very many people really have SDC's welfare in mind when they use free tickets in this way.

Then there is the issue of scalping the free tickets - myself profiting from the service of someone else - that just doesn't seem right at all.  The service being sold still belongs to SDC until it is delivered.  I can't really see how I could sell something that doesn't belong to me.  The item being sold is not the ticket that I possess, but the future service the ticket affords me.

Finally, I'll bring in the idea that if more people paid SDC and not individuals willing to part with free tickets, maybe (though I'm not naive enough to believe it would happen) season pass and admission prices could be reduced.  I'm paying for those free tickets, a point appropriately raised by KBCraig, and someone else is paying a reduced price to someone else.  Even if that's not immoral, it doesn't seem fair (but life's not fair, right?).

This is a good debate to be having, and it does us all good to weigh the issue.  To each his or her own, but  even if I don't always succeed (with Biblical principles in mind), I will always try to correctly make decisions for myself.

Wow, I should have read your post before I typed my previous one. It would have saved me some typing. :)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:45 PM »
I guess I will chime in since I started the post in the first place.  People keep saying that SDC does not care.  They actually do.  They check ebay and have been known to cancel the season pass holders tickets if they can find out who they are.  That is why most people will not show the front of the ticket they are selling because they do not want SDC to be able to read the bar code and numbers and then be able to find out who is selling them.   As for the statement that we paid for them I find that very wrong.  We purchased our tickets early at a much smaller price and then they gave us free tickets on top of that.  The people that are paying over $75.00 a pass not get no extra perks. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
A written contract is meant to be enforced by two parties who have a "meeting of the minds". When one party does not enforce (SDC letting in someone not a season pass member)-then they have violated the contract and rendered it null and void.
Point is make up your mind SDC- you cannot have it both ways!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
A written contract is meant to be enforced by two parties who have a "meeting of the minds". When one party does not enforce (SDC letting in someone not a season pass member)-then they have violated the contract and rendered it null and void.
Point is make up your mind SDC- you cannot have it both ways!

That's what the law says, but there's quite a bit of gray area here that would make it much more difficult and time consuming to prove, one way or another.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
I'm just not a fan of rules for the sake of rules- have them mean something or don't waste our time or paper.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
What I liked was that on the 1Branson forums, people who wouldn't be able to go for the days their free passes were for, would trade for ones that they *could* use. So all the free passes stayed free, and they all got used. It was really nice.

I haven't been on there in a while, so I don't know if they're still doing that, especially now that after a certain date, you have to pay for BAF passes (which I believe was one of SDC's ways to counteract the people who were selling the BAFs for profit).

Joy

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
I'm just not a fan of rules for the sake of rules- have them mean something or don't waste our time or paper.

I agree with you on that.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
No argument here.  They just waste ink spelling out rules if they don't abide by the rules.  If they wanted to avoid allowing people to break any moral codes, they could just make the BAFs free to pass out.  The secret it out - too many people are on to them allowing them to be used without the SP holder.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
There is another issue that we haven't touched on:  If SDC wants to reduce the  demand for a cheaper Bring- a - Friend tickets, then shouldn't they put some coupons out there?  There are reduced tickets to Six Flags at grocery stores, and Worlds of Fun also offers reduced advanced pries.  SDC offers pitiful discounts- if any at all.  Haven't they created the black market to a degree? 

I do not believe that SDC if offering Bring-A friend tickets totally out of the kindness of their hearts.  Why do they do it?  To fill the park and sell stuff.

I really appreciate Hisory Buff's Words- I still thinking about some of the debates on this page.  Morality and Capitalism is a nasty mix. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
What kinda look do you think I would I get if I brought this to the ticket counter...

I like making people go "huh" for a minute, so I think it would be worth it, but they would more than likely just brush it off as an "expired coupon" instead of a 35 yr old $1 off  rare Coca Cola Bottle Hanger. I would laugh about it, heck I would even dress up like I was just in a 35 yr coma, and attempt to look right out of 74'. Okay I am a huge dork, I apologize for wasting your time reading this. But if you happen to see bell bottoms, and sideburns, stop and say hello to me, don't just stare, that is impolite!

(Oh and Tinman this is what the other half of that jar of coins SHOULD look like!)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
OMG, Rube, you should totally do that, LOL. If I were working there, I'd be drooling over seeing one of those in person. I don't know how many times I tried to get one on Ebay and got outbid by snipers.

LOL

Joy

sdcforever

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
^^If I was working the ticket counter I'd give you the one dollar discount! :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »
Then quickly whisk the bottle hanger away, and laugh menacingly that you just got a DEAL on the item.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
I see both points on this subject. On one hand its wrong to sell your free passes. But on the other your selling them to get people into your beloved park to spend money. Its a double edged sword. Think about this though, you have the spares, you sell them, you use your profits to go to SDC. The people that purchased them go to SDC......who is winning here?????
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
as somebody pointed out earlier passes have bar codes on them...... All SDC would need to do is program computer to allow say 6 free entries per pass ( bar code).  that way the people trtying to use them properly could...  And the People who are cheating/profiting from them could not do so......