Author Topic: OYO/Classic Motor Inn closed  (Read 610 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
OYO/Classic Motor Inn closed
« on: June 22, 2024, 11:48:24 AM »
Noticed last month that the OYO/Classic Motor Inn had plywood up to block stairways from being used. Last week I noticed that wire fencing panels had been placed around the property to keep cars out.

Sad to see another motel closed especially one where SDC Fans used to stay due to a discount arranged for us by member sanddunerider.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: OYO/Classic Motor Inn closed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »
Yeah those were the good days. I can't believe the sudden collapse of the Branson hotel market. It seems like a lot of properties just reached their expiration date all at the same time and the various owners just can't or don't want to invest in them to bring them up to current standards. The "Branson Basic" style of hotel is still good enough for me, but those rooms keep getting older with the same furniture, carpet, linens, etc...

Plus there's still the issue of not being able to find enough employees anymore. Lot of those hotels scraped by using almost criminally underpaid immigrant workers for a long time. The economics definitely shift once you have to pay people a living wage based on today's prices.

Still, Branson desperately needs some new hotels, or at least some serious renovations of a few of these old properties. I wonder why capital isn't flowing into to Branson for new hotel projects right now...

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 06:47:25 PM »
Is the visitor count to Branson going down?  I know we have not been over there in a couple of years and we used to go about once a  month.  We had a few spots we stayed at that were basic and dated but clean, which is fine with me.  We did the Classic all the time before the new owners took over.  We also used to do Ozark Valley Inn.  The Honeysuckle was also decent but I think they went out of business also.  The Angel inns used to be nice too but I think they seem to have gone downhill last few times we were there.  It appears most of the local owners have sold out to foreign owners and now they are closing.  Seems like a rapid decline for sure.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 08:47:03 PM »
Exactly the reason for SDC to identify as being in the Ozark Mountains and not Branson
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 02:03:52 PM »
Most everything in Branson proper just looks run down with weed infested old concrete vacant lots. I agree that SDC probably is trying to get away from the Branson stigma. As for hotels and motels , I cannot think of 1 I would consider staying at. We never even look but go straight to Air BNB now. There are wonderful lodgings all along 265 now in new communities priced competitive .  More room to relax instead of a hard chair and old wooden table.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 07:34:50 PM »
Wow sounds like things have generally gone down hill in the last couple of years.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2024, 04:59:17 PM »
Branson has a huge gap in lodging for people that want a nicer hotel and are willing to pay more for it, but don't want Big Cedar's prices. This is the sweet spot that something like the DreamMore and HeartSong Lodge style of resort would fill. Big Cedar has continued to raise rates and take away/started charging for stuff that used to be included. We get much better service and a better experience at the DreamMore than we have ever gotten at Big Cedar.

Our family can't wait for SDC to finally announce and build their resort(s). As locals, we would for sure use it for a few staycations a year.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2024, 10:06:52 AM »
When I get more time I'm going to work on a map of all the currently derelict/under utilized properties on the strip/colored routes through town. Just a quick look at google maps and it's actually astounding how many prime real estate sites are just sitting vacant. I mean, the entire honeysuckle property?

I'm trying to think of any other part of the country with the visitor counts that Branson gets that would see this kind of real estate activity. Wisconsin Dells, Lake of the Ozarks, and to some extent Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

What Branson is experiencing right now is exceptional. I'm sure there must be some crazy stories going on behind the scenes. A lot of it probably comes down to greedy property hoarders and way outdated modes of thinking behind Branson leadership.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2024, 08:57:28 PM »
is it possible some unknown entity is buying up a lot of these properties and letting them sit until some future plan is revealed?

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2024, 12:37:19 PM »
I think Ozark Valley Inn is also closed. It had a no vacancy sign up earlier this month but there were just 1 or 2 vehicles there. The Days Inn next to Drafts bar and restaurant has closed, and Drafts didn't open this year. The former Paradise Steakhouse is now an Urgent Care center. Another old restaurant on SOTH that has been various things the last few years has now reopened as a cabaret show. I read where Shoji's theater sold last year but it still looks as sad as it has the last few years. The waterpark coming soon sign at the corner is still up for Westgate. That sign went up a year or 2 before COVID.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2024, 06:17:28 PM »
So basically half the red route is sitting dead, lol. That's crazy. I wonder if someone is lining up to buy it all up. Westgate could buy some of those properties. Not sure why they didn't build the waterpark, but probably has something to do with covid cost increases. Still Waters is STILL working on opening their new indoor waterpark thing, last I checked. They got a similar park opened up at their Gatlinburg resort though. Once again you have to ask why there isn't more incentive to get things moving in Branson.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2024, 08:45:52 PM »
I have not been to Branson in about a year or two, planned on getting season passes again for SDC next year.  Really sounds like the golden days of Branson are over.