Author Topic: Your Travels Thread for 2023  (Read 3977 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Your Travels Thread for 2023
« on: January 03, 2023, 05:07:19 PM »
Last year I somehow managed to not hit a single park with a coaster. It was for trying, things never lined up.

I did see Crater Lake in the Snow, tidal pools, whales, reqlly big tree, Kodiak beara, orcas in the wild, a huge school of humpbacks, seals and eagles on ice bergs, glaciers galore, mountain goats on 9k ridges and yellow aspens galore in Colorado. It was a good year if travel as the wife and I transition to traveling without kids in tow.

This year will be different. I'm hitting some parks that I need to check off over the summer. I'm only working 4 days a week and 5 weeks of vacation as I hit my 50th year giving me very long weekends and time to take off and I got a ton of points.

Whats for sure is a 10 day New England foilage drive the last week of Sept/first week of Oct. Got the flight and rooms booked for that already.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread for 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 08:16:56 AM »
suggestion --- in your travels try -- STRATACA: KS Underground Salt Museum and the Cosmosphere - both in Huchinson KS if you are passing that way. Two very interesting museums - One is a Salt mine tour and the other is a offshoot of the Smithsonian space museum.

Kevin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:22:50 AM »
I've been doing a lot less amusement parks lately as well, but I still try and hit them up when the opportunity is easy. I ended up at Six Flags America last year when I was doing a DC trip. Not to hard to get there since the metro from DC gets you close and then it's just a short Uber.

This year I am playing it by ear, but I want to see NYC/Coney Island, LA/SFMM, and maybe Pittsburg/Kennywood if I can swing it. I may try to drive up north and see that new park in Iowa if my car can stand the trip.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 07:30:38 AM »
I've been doing a lot less amusement parks lately as well, but I still try and hit them up when the opportunity is easy. I ended up at Six Flags America last year when I was doing a DC trip. Not to hard to get there since the metro from DC gets you close and then it's just a short Uber.

This year I am playing it by ear, but I want to see NYC/Coney Island, LA/SFMM, and maybe Pittsburg/Kennywood if I can swing it. I may try to drive up north and see that new park in Iowa if my car can stand the trip.

Funny you mentioned Kennywood. It was in my radar.

Thinking of doing a summer trip of Cleveland(Cedar Point) to Erie(Waldermeer) to Pittsburgh(Kennywood) to Columbus(Zoo)  back to Cleveland trip.

Also was possibly a Louisville/Cincy- centric tripnwith Holidayworld, Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom as the parks.  Beech Bend could be part of that.

One of those and the trip in the fall would give me all 50 states in my 50th year, lol.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:55:28 AM »
suggestion --- in your travels try -- STRATACA: KS Underground Salt Museum and the Cosmosphere - both in Huchinson KS if you are passing that way. Two very interesting museums - One is a Salt mine tour and the other is a offshoot of the Smithsonian space museum.

Kevin

I can't give a better endorsement for Hutchinson, Kansas.

We've been a couple of times, but finally spent a day at the Cosmosphere.  I can attest that it really does take a full day.  People probably don't imagine a space museum in the middle of the country and in such a small town, but this place is world-class, with the most complete German rocket collection, as well as the largest Russian display outside of Moscow.  As far as the U.S. is concerned, you get to see real artifacts from some of the best of the Apollo Missions, including the Apollo 13 capsule.

Strataca takes you deep into the earth where the salt mine is still in operation.  A couple of riding tours drives you into historic areas that have been untouched since the 1950s.  In one area, movie and television films are stored, as well as props and costumes from some prominent features.  A newspaper in pristine condition displays a headline that announces the assassination of Lincoln.  All of these are preserved in the salt.

I have several pictures in these reports from our legendary COVID travels in 2020:

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 08:44:27 AM »
I might get to see some new stuff this year - son is now in Phillies Organization so he might be in Allentown or Philadelphia. There are a lot of parks in the area, so looking forward to getting somewhere new. Is it crazy to think that I am most excited to ride Demon Drop at Dorney? I absolutely loved the 1st generation free fall rides.

Jay

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 02:33:47 PM »
Our plans are option 1 Greece then over to Rome and Tuscany , then Barcelona and southern Spain. The other option is Germany in the winter to hit up some Christmas markets then up to Norway and Finland to see the Northern lights.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 03:02:54 PM »
This year, we are headed to Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Dollywood, Splash Country, Kentucky Kingdom, and lots of SCD/WW.

I remember going to the Cosmosphere each summer growing up when we would visit family friends in Hutch. We have actually been talking about taking a long weekend trip to it with our kids. We never did do the salt mines though.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 04:31:45 PM »
Tony and I will take a cruise in October. We did get SDC passes again after taking a break last year so we will spend a lot of time there.

There will be a family vacation in august, the week before school starts. Location is TBD. Maybe Dollywood and the Smokies. Maybe a cruise?  Maybe Disney? 

Work will likely take me to Chicago, Colorado, perhaps NM, and TN. 

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »
Y’all have convinced me a trip to Hutchinson(and maybe witchata too) is in order for later this year.

Any suggestions on a great place in Missouri or neighboring states for something dinosaur related for young kids(6yo, 3yo, 1yo)?

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 11:47:56 AM »
New Orleans - February for Mardi Gras
Branson - July 4th week for family
Panama City Beach - September for just because
Hopefully 3-4 long weekends at SDC for our favorite festivals

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 03:28:38 PM »
Y’all have convinced me a trip to Hutchinson(and maybe witchata too) is in order for later this year.

Any suggestions on a great place in Missouri or neighboring states for something dinosaur related for young kids(6yo, 3yo, 1yo)?

We haven't been there but this is in Branson: http://bransondinosaurmuseum.com/

This is also in Branson: http://losttreasuregolf.com/miniature-golf-courses/branson-mini-golf-courses/dinosaur-canyon/

We have played there and it is a lot of fun
I'm Your Huckleberry

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 03:03:00 AM »
I have no Idea where you are coming from and this is not specifically dinosaur related but if passing by you might try -- Mastodon state park south of st Louis..  has mastodon bones reconstructed in the museum and other artifacts.

https://mostateparks.com/location/55681/museum

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 03:28:32 PM »
So Cal trip in June: hoping to hit Lagoon in Salt Lake City and in Denver Lakeside and/or Elitch we're hoping.

Mid to late July: Cedar Point, Dorney, Rye Playland, Coney Island, Knoebels and Kennywood.
Early August (return home) hopefully Kings Island and maybe Holiday World

September: Dragon Con in Atlanta

That's on top of a few trips to SDC, Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St. Louis if all goes well.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 12:42:16 PM »
Hutchinson was not a place I had any knowledge of, but now it's on my radar. Thank you to those who brought it up! It's possible I may be able to visit both museums this summer.

My travels-I'm recovering from an ankle injury which may prove to be a hindrance, but it's also supposed to be fully healed by the time the trip happens, so hopefully it won't be a big deal. I'm definitely headed to California-revisiting Disneyland, USH, and Knott's is definitely part of the plan, as is going to San Francisco for the first time. The Bay Area parks would be included also, some of which are new to me, and I'd really like to get one more visit back to 'the other Great America' before it closes forever.

What's more up in the air is whether or not I fly or drive out there. From IL I've driven a fair amount west before-within the past two years I drove out first to Salt Lake City and back, and then to Monument Valley and back-so there's a part of me that just wants to go all the way and hit the west coast, just to say that I've done it. There would be various stops along the way, and IL to San Francisco wouldn't be particularly hard to fill-the aforementioned Kansas museums, revisiting Lagoon for the new ride, checking out Reno/Carson City/Lake Tahoe, and so on all seem compelling. It's the way back that would be the struggle. It would also pretty much put me back at home right before the school year starts and have me immediately shifting back into teaching mode, which is a major con of driving out there and back. But if it means I don't have to fly and get to visit a bunch of cool new places along the way, it may well be worth it.

Sirwillow, Lagoon is a fantastic park! Hopefully Lakeside will be better off this year than last-the wooden coaster was advertised as down the whole year on their site, so I was able to get on Wild Chipmunk, but no dice with the wooden coaster. Definitely go at night-the park has seen better days, but at least the lights help disguise that to some degree. I also recommend the train, not just for the view of the place reflected on the lake, but also for the eighth wonder of the world, the backside of Walmart. I'd opt for tickets over the POP (which their website was actually advocating for last year anyway) unless you can be sure everything you might want to do is open.

Elitches...well, I'm grateful I was able to get the Arrow shuttle coaster credit, but I'm not sure I have it in me to go back for the Half Pipe. The Meow Wolf dark ride is really cool though! Although if the dark ride interests you, another possibility instead would be to visit the actual Meow Wolf location in Denver as an alternative. It's immersive art, and I did all of the Meow Wolf locations around the country last year. I highly, highly recommend Meow Wolf while you're in town-it's just an incredible place to visit and explore. Better than any of the actual parks in Denver by quite a lot IMO.

If you're driving between Denver and SLC, I'd highly recommend Glenwood Caverns-it has three coasters now (four with the alpine coaster), two cave tours, a huge variety of excellent dangle-you-off-the-top-of-the-mountain thrill rides. Not sure if they'll ever reopen the drop ride, but it was one of the best ones anywhere. And they have one of the roller coasters from Celebration City! It's better than both the Denver parks. If your route between Denver and SLC takes you by Dinosaur National Monument in Utah, definitely stop there-it's a really cool museum with dozens of dinosaur fossils embedded into the land.