Author Topic: Year round operations  (Read 1942 times)

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Year round operations
« on: October 21, 2022, 04:56:56 PM »
With kings dominion and carrowinds announcing year round operations do you think SDC will add year round operations?

I don’t think it would happen in the next few years, but could see it in the future especially after adding a resort.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Year round operations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
I dont see that happening, UNLESS there is a major climate change.
Too cold and chances of snow for too long Dec - April.
I doubt that enough people would go to make payroll, let alone overhead.
No Rides, only a couple of show to keep people interested, dont see it happening.

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »
I absolutely could see Dollywood going to year-round operations sooner rather than later, but I don't get the impression that it's coming for SDC.

In order for that to be feasible, there would need to be year-round interest in Branson as a destination. I'm certainly not local, so I can't pretend to be an expert, but I don't get the sense that there's a ton of interest in coming to Branson during January/February. If Branson itself won't draw people then, I don't picture SDC being any different.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:56:23 AM »
I absolutely could see Dollywood going to year-round operations sooner rather than later, but I don't get the impression that it's coming for SDC.

In order for that to be feasible, there would need to be year-round interest in Branson as a destination. I'm certainly not local, so I can't pretend to be an expert, but I don't get the sense that there's a ton of interest in coming to Branson during January/February. If Branson itself won't draw people then, I don't picture SDC being any different.

A.Great Wolf tupemofnplace.could do that. Sorry, 5he one on the strip.doesn't qualify.

Where is the Mattle themed water park resort in Hollister at  development wise.

Praire Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 05:47:15 AM »

Our family actually goes up to Branson every year (on purpose, no less!) during January and/or February.  It's kind of nice actually... you have the whole place to yourself, and aside from SDC being closed, most of our favorite shops, stores and eateries are open.  We have also found that despite the weather usually being cold, we actually have a great time, and those are some of our most favorite trips.  We go out around town during the day, eat a nice supper at one of our favorite places (where the service is always excellent, and we often have the place to ourselves) and then we go back to the hotel and play cards, or watch a movie, or sit by the fireplace in the lobby. 

Going when the Park is closed sounds crazy on paper, but actually makes for a relaxing, enjoyable winter break!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:00:11 AM by shavethewhales »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 08:24:59 AM »

We always go to Branson in January and February, Much better chance to see and do local activities, check out new businesses and the traffic is almost non-existent.
Grand Country Complex have shows going on , so we go see Mike Patrick and the guys and Gals.
We really like that time of the year.
That being said, Unless SDC had something really special, or had multiple show options, I dont see people going out there during that time. Rides would be closed 80% of the tiome for weather.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:00:25 AM by shavethewhales »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 11:06:38 AM »
The park is already pretty dead during mid spring and large portions of the summer. Their main seasons are fall and Christmas. There's nothing to attract people in the middle of winter - rides would be closed much of the time due to temps, no lights to look at, and not much else going on unless they make some sort of festival out of it. Who wants another festival to go to after Christmas though? People are in money saving and self-focus mode in January and February.

We'll see how KD and Carowinds do with this year round operations thing. I am doubtful. I feel like they've tried this before and it didn't work. They do have much higher populations and more stable temps in the winter where they are though.

Praire Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 03:31:17 AM »
I would *happily* go to SDC year round for craftspeople, food, shopping, and the culinary classes.  Open it, and stand back, because I would be there!  Add shows and you would see a Prarie Wind shaped hole in my front door every weekend from New Years to Spring Break that the roads were clear!

The rides are great, but I go to SDC for more than just the rides.  Unlike a lot of Parks, I think that SDC has all kinds of rich experiences that don’t require a ride.  If they build a few more show buildings for dark rides, it could actually go close to 365.  Just institute a policy that any time the temp outside Hospitality House dips to 37 degrees, the Park closes.  That should (on average) give the Citizens time to close the Park before roads freeze up and become hazardous.

The thought of opening the Park without rides (especially the coasters) probably leaves most folks cold (winter pun, get it? LOL) but I would gladly purchase a year-round annual pass in a heartbeat.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 07:51:31 PM »
I would *happily* go to SDC year round for craftspeople, food, shopping, and the culinary classes.  Open it, and stand back, because I would be there!  Add shows and you would see a Prarie Wind shaped hole in my front door every weekend from New Years to Spring Break that the roads were clear!

The rides are great, but I go to SDC for more than just the rides.  Unlike a lot of Parks, I think that SDC has all kinds of rich experiences that don’t require a ride.  If they build a few more show buildings for dark rides, it could actually go close to 365.  Just institute a policy that any time the temp outside Hospitality House dips to 37 degrees, the Park closes.  That should (on average) give the Citizens time to close the Park before roads freeze up and become hazardous.

The thought of opening the Park without rides (especially the coasters) probably leaves most folks cold (winter pun, get it? LOL) but I would gladly purchase a year-round annual pass in a heartbeat.

Roads, businesses, and schools close early on when inclement weather is forecast - often a day ahead of the weather because the roads are very curvy and hilly, and this area doesn't have the same amount of road crew and equipment that cities in heavier snow areas has.   

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 10:37:05 AM »
I don’t see this happening not only because of weather, but also the fact that they have trouble with staffing the park for the time of year they are already open.

Now, if SDC does build a resort, that is how they can keep a little revenue coming in year round, especially with an indoor waterpark or something similar.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."