Author Topic: Citizen injured  (Read 6112 times)

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Citizen injured
« on: July 21, 2022, 07:26:20 AM »
Not much information at all but a citizen was injured yesterday at SDC.

Spokesperson said no guests were involved in the accident.

https://www.ky3.com/2022/07/21/silver-dollar-city-employee-injured-during-incident-wednesday/

Hopefully they are doing okay and will recover soon.

pintrader

Re: Citizen injured
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 12:18:09 PM »
KY3 just now reported the worker had passed away.  Said he was a passionate member of the company......sad and so sorry to hear.

https://www.ky3.com/2022/07/21/silver-dollar-city-employee-injured-during-incident-wednesday/

This is an updated report.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:47:34 PM by Pintrader »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 03:30:26 PM »
Horrible. I was told he had a special connection to the park to since he had family that worked there. This really sucks.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 10:38:20 AM »
This is heartbreaking. Prayers for the family and friends along with the citizens of SDC. I don't nor have ever worked at the park, but from an outsiders perspective, the citizens seem like family to one another. I have no doubt the park will properly investigate the situation.

I am not trying to speculate and want to be respectful of the situation. I thought I read somewhere it happened at a ride and have noticed on the SDC App that TNT was "temp closed" yesterday and it shows "temp closed" this morning, so was curious if that's where it happened. Not asking anyone to answer, it was just merely an observation and I could be way off base.

Regardless, my heart hurts for the family and those who worked with the citizen as well as Silver Dollar City as a whole.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »

I am not trying to speculate and want to be respectful of the situation. I thought I read somewhere it happened at a ride and have noticed on the SDC App that TNT was "temp closed" yesterday and it shows "temp closed" this morning, so was curious if that's where it happened. Not asking anyone to answer, it was just merely an observation and I could be way off base.

You might be on to something.   KY3 had this in their updated report today.

"The Division of Fire Safety’s Amusement Ride Safety Unit dispatched investigators to the scene on Thursday. At this time, they say the ride is not in operation. They tell us the incident remains under investigation."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »
From the sources I have been getting, it was indeed TNT and the maintenance worker was hit by the coaster train itself and succumbed to the injuries. If this is indeed true, why the heck was he out there with the ride in operation?

Again all speculation from apparent park witnesses. I am sure an official statement will be released soon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:52:06 PM by sdcfan88 »

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 03:21:50 PM »
Yes, it was TNT. The worker out there measuring the speed via radar gun due to a guest complaint, is what I heard. He got to close to the track. It’s been a gloomy past few days.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »
While I won’t deny or confirm that it was TNT, you can see for yourself on the app that TNT continues to be closed and has been since this news broke
SWOOSH

orangesandpeaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 08:38:41 PM »
KY3 reports that the OSHA investigation is underway, which was to be expected. With TNT, there are a couple of spots maintenance could reasonably be found next to the tract during inspection, such as the lift hill and mid-course brake. As a side note, the mid-course brake does seem to trim a bit lighter these days than it did in its earlier years. The safety standards seem to be in place as they are required to announce when a train is in motion when testing, so it follows there would be "minimum distance guidelines" in place as well when on a maintenance catwalk. Of course, safety is every employee's responsibility, but it hard not to imagine getting dizzy or an epic sneeze or even a careless step at the worst possible time.

Cseeley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »
Do you think this could lead to the close of tnt. Top thrill dragster at cp might close because of the injury caused!

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »
Do you think this could lead to the close of tnt. Top thrill dragster at cp might close because of the injury caused!

I think that it’s way too early to speculate about something like that. This situation also seems to be quite different. In the case if Top Thrill Dragster, a piece of metal flew off and hit someone in line.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 10:45:31 PM »
Yeah I highly doubt this could mark the end of TNT. Totally different circumstances. Especially considering its still a very popular Arrow Mine Train and the park has been putting work back into it over the past couple years. You don't spend money and put labor into a ride that you are just gonna rip out later on. From what it sounds like, this was a freak accident due to mis-communication or negligence on the workers part, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:50:02 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
We shouldn't speculate too much about what happened. It's a really tragic situation and I don't want any false rumors to spread about it. I'm sure OSHA will get to the bottom of it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 11:48:40 PM »
Was there ever an update to what happened with this?

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 08:33:33 PM »
Just looked on the app and TNT shows it’s open…