Author Topic: 2022 Crowds / Trip Reports  (Read 20485 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Crowds / Trip Reports
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2022, 07:37:49 PM »
It will be a jam packed madhouse, period.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2022, 08:20:52 PM »
I will be in Branson the week between Christmas and New Years --- considering visiting for the first time ever the park in winter, I am a photographer and I thought the winter photos might be a bit different.

(full disclosure I hate crowds and Christmas) but I am curious and if the situation were favorable might consider going to the park.  Can anyone with experience give me the info on that week is it crowded, or do the crowds dwindle after the holiday?
Not a ride person so coaster use is unimportant.
I am a passholder so going or not going is just a thought. I guess the question is can a non Christmas person who dislikes large crowds enjoy looking around for a few hours midweek at this time of year? Or should I give it a pass?

Thanks for the input and help

Kevin

If you're a non-Christmas person, going between the holidays probably isn't a great idea. The park is still filled with everything Christmas. Lights everywhere, which I think are beautiful, but sounds like that's not your thing.

Crowds are insane - if the weather is mild the place will be extremely packed. If it's a bit on the cold side - the park will be open but crowds extremely light (rides probably not operating). I went one year, and the snow was beautiful - and had the park to myself. This might be what you're looking for if you want some beautiful pictures (maybe you'll get a snow day).

Jay

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2022, 07:37:52 PM »
Thanks Jay -- that was what I was looking for.

I am looking for more of a Photographic opportunity. So Here is hoping for super low temps and or drizzly sky's.

is there a low temp cut off for the entire park? just curious.

Kevin

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2022, 08:27:51 PM »

is there a low temp cut off for the entire park? just curious.

Kevin

Not that I am aware. I think it was 2018 just before New Years I was there and it was in the teens. Definitely an interesting experience. Crowds were moderate at best.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2022, 10:30:07 PM »
We've been there with wind chills around -30.  There were about 1000 visitors in the park.  I was told they wouldn't close early as long as there were guests on park.  They will close with winter weather moving in.  The last half of December is supposed to be well below normal temps so I would think lighter crowds.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2022, 07:27:36 PM »
Here is our reviews on the food offered on the Christmas tasting passport

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2022/12/an-old-time-christmas-food-sdc.html
SWOOSH

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »
Nice review!   Good to know if these are offered next year.

Here is our reviews on the food offered on the Christmas tasting passport

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2022/12/an-old-time-christmas-food-sdc.html

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »
We've been there with wind chills around -30.  There were about 1000 visitors in the park.  I was told they wouldn't close early as long as there were guests on park.  They will close with winter weather moving in.  The last half of December is supposed to be well below normal temps so I would think lighter crowds.

There is a growing chance of white stuff the week before and after Christmas.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2022, 03:22:07 PM »

There is a growing chance of white stuff the week before and after Christmas.

Glad we're going this Thursday and Friday.  Supposed to be cold but dry.
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2022, 01:41:05 PM »
I've heard it's been super busy this week now that the weather has improved. Despite this, the rides are having more issues than ever.

People sure love lights. I feel like the light festivals are the only thing keeping SDC going at this point. It's often dead during the summer (with some exceptions on certain weekends), and spring is often hit and miss with Spring Break being super busy and it being dead the rest of the time. Other parks have tried and basically failed to copy SDC's light bonanza. The setting and the scale of what they do is indeed impressive, but it sure feels like basically every other aspect of the SDC experience has fallen off hard over the past few years. I just wonder what it will take for the crowds to stop coming for the lights. I'll be watching the 2023 crowd levels with interest...

Irrumater

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »
We went to the park yesterday and could not believe the crowds. We arrived about 4pm to find mostly full parking lots. Since we have Season Pass preferred parking we were able to pull up to the shack and park in the narrow lot between the shack and the entrance road. By the time we left they had people parked in the road up to the parking shacks.
The crowds were insane, 1 hour plus for Rides and even longer for food/snacks. For example the line for ice cream outside of Red Gold wrapped back past the current furniture store. Cinnamon bread went back to the nearby restrooms.
We made it about an hour and a half and decided that was enough. We exited the cut glass store about the time the first tree lighting finished and it took nearly 20 minutes to make it out of the park. The crowds were easily the largest I have personally seen since pre covid shutdown. Even had a citizen politely shake their head when they asked where we were from and told them Springfield.
I guess 65 degrees in Dec will do that.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2022, 10:09:05 AM »
I've heard it's been super busy this week now that the weather has improved. Despite this, the rides are having more issues than ever.

People sure love lights. I feel like the light festivals are the only thing keeping SDC going at this point. It's often dead during the summer (with some exceptions on certain weekends), and spring is often hit and miss with Spring Break being super busy and it being dead the rest of the time. Other parks have tried and basically failed to copy SDC's light bonanza. The setting and the scale of what they do is indeed impressive, but it sure feels like basically every other aspect of the SDC experience has fallen off hard over the past few years. I just wonder what it will take for the crowds to stop coming for the lights. I'll be watching the 2023 crowd levels with interest...

Like I said in another thread, it’s probably time for you to find a different hobby. 
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »

Like I said in another thread, it’s probably time for you to find a different hobby.

Shave has a right to voice his opinion just like everyone else on this forum.  Heaven knows you voice yours enough, Swoosh.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »

Shave has a right to voice his opinion just like everyone else on this forum.  Heaven knows you voice yours enough, Swoosh.

Interesting.  Pretty sure I only post updates from the park.  But, ok. 

*edit to to fix typo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:23:33 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2022, 08:16:45 PM »
Happy New Year!