Author Topic: Dollywood's 2023 Project  (Read 3299 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Dollywood's 2023 Project
« on: November 04, 2021, 08:11:56 AM »
The long speculated about Wildwood Grove expansion plans are approved for 2023.

https://www.wvlt.tv/app/2021/11/04/site-plans-approved-new-attraction-dollywood/

Betting they are getting their own MACK coaster now. That graphic clearly shows a coaster layout with two side by side launch segments similar to Time Traveler at SDC.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood's 2023 Project
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
Hmm, almost looks like a terrain launch coaster. Looks like a tunnel on the SE end. Hard to tell how extreme it is, but it reminds me of Cheetah Chase. Would be odd to have another launched coaster after Lightning Rod and Firechaser, but they are tons of fun.

Looks like a great addition, but man I hope they use this as an opportunity to replant all the trees and restore the area. It looks so bleak right now.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »
It is interesting that after this is built, there isn't a clear path to expansion to the North.
I'm guessing that he tunnel is to help hide the service area behind Till & Harvest.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
Cool love the overlay! Really puts it into perspective. Thanks for that!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
Cool love the overlay! Really puts it into perspective. Thanks for that!

Makes a big difference for those of us that know that layout..   thanks..

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
Going back thru some older posts this further solidifies my speculation its a Time Traveler-esque Spinner. It was previously presented in a future attraction survey. With the success of TT it seems logical at this point.

These guys made a video talking about a new ride survey put out that talks about a new Hyper Coaster, Mack Spinner, or Indoor Coaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOz98TupdoM

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 09:23:05 PM »
Going back thru some older posts this further solidifies my speculation its a Time Traveler-esque Spinner. It was previously presented in a future attraction survey. With the success of TT it seems logical at this point.

These guys made a video talking about a new ride survey put out that talks about a new Hyper Coaster, Mack Spinner, or Indoor Coaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOz98TupdoM

Think more along the lines of Hagrid’s but ATV themed and you’ll be more correct
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 11:25:14 AM »
Dollywood is making their 2023 announcements next Friday, August 5th.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 09:02:05 AM »
The announcement will stream on their facebook page at 11AM.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 11:56:41 AM »
https://www.coaster101.com/2022/08/05/dollywood-announces-big-bear-mountain-2023-coaster/

As expected, it's a relatively low to the ground multi-launch coaster. More focused towards younger thrill seekers with its low speeds and no major thrill elements, which makes it a nice encore to the incredibly popular Firechaser Express. Interesting that they have now built three coasters for this demographic in relatively short succession. In comparison, SDC has recently built MRF and Time Traveler, both of which were marketed as family attractions but feature high thrill elements that turned a lot of people off. SDC could really use at least one coaster similar to the three family coasters now at DW. We'll take one of these multi-launchers!

Also, oof with the theming budget cuts. Understandable considering how costs have risen, but much of this ride is barren. They clear cut this entire area, so "Big Bear Mountain" is really just going to be a lot of meandering around in a field above some pathways. The original plans called for a bunch of Rockwork on the second half that is now gone.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
Looks like a fun ride!
It’s their first coaster with onboard audio.
The pass behind the waterfall will be a fun element for families and it happens right by the midway where people can watch from.
The minimum height is only 39”.
Our family loves Dragonflier and FireChaser at Dollywood. SDC could really use a bigger true family coaster like the ones at Dollywood. These are rides that our whole family; even my wife will ride together. They are just fun, nothing too crazy. I could really see Thunderation being replaced by something like FireChaser or Big Bear Mountain when it’s time comes.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 01:17:12 PM »
Stats wise this fills a long time gap they have had with SDC since removing their Mine Train Coaster in the late 90's. This is very similar to ThuNderaTion. Both are 48mph and both BBM and TNT are in the 3000+ foot range but of course TNT is 20 feet taller due to using a lift hill.

EDIT: I know some consider Firechaser to be their version of TNT but I disagree. That coaster is way too gentle in comparison.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:48:40 PM by sdcfan88 »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 07:46:49 AM »
I would love to see a coaster like this come to SDC. With more theming of course.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."