Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2021)  (Read 9753 times)

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2021)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 02:33:54 PM »
I saw we needed both a park pass and a pass for Going to the Sun Road - do we also have to reserve what time we enter the park?

We are planning a last minute trip to Glacier National Park.
Any tips/tricks/advice?

Reserve your entrance time

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
Ok it is a bit different than the RMNP process. The NPS has used the cover of Covid to limit visitation. They are turning the NPs into their own Disney fast pass system where you have to get a reservation time three months ahead of your visit. Under Biden, it is likely the new normal.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:24:30 PM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 08:50:25 PM »
We are planning a last minute trip to Glacier National Park.
Any tips/tricks/advice?

Any non political correct information is right here.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrticketedentry.htm

Not that bad of a process really. The RMNP process worked flawlessly for us. It is based on 80 Percent parking capacity. Yellowstone did not have a reservation system. The fact is our National Parks are being overwhelmed right now. I wish Yellowstone would have had a reservation system too. Parking was at a premium at all hiking trailheads and the usual tourist run in and see one thing spot. Managed to see 4 Geysers blow by walking the boardwalk around old Faithful who was the disappointment of the day.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:58:32 PM by runner1960 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »
Finally making it to Universal Hollywood for HHN! The bummer, appears to be no Stranger Things walk through this year whereas last year it would have been and their Nintendo World will not be open.

Oct 16th - Oct 20th

Sat- Santa Monica Pier evening
Sun-Universal HHN
Mon -Disneyland
Tue- California Adventure.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:54:56 PM by chittlins »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »
We will be going to Charleston, SC in July! Any tips/tricks/must-dos from anyone?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 10:05:06 AM »
Headed to Key West for the first time next week.  Any suggestions?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Headed to Key West for the first time next week.  Any suggestions?

Don't lose your shaker of salt and don't blow out your flip flops
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:50:32 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:59:18 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 02:15:41 PM »
History Buff... My grandparents used to live with Monk's Mound in their backyard... I meant literally. Just on the other side of their back yard the land started. My dad used to sled down it when he was a kid. Before it was really as protected. And before they had the nice visitor center was a trailer that served its function. I remember going there as a kid... Your trip report brought back some good memories. Thanks for that... Both grandparents are now gone and my dad lives far away from there now.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »
History Buff... My grandparents used to live with Monk's Mound in their backyard... I meant literally. Just on the other side of their back yard the land started. My dad used to sled down it when he was a kid. Before it was really as protected. And before they had the nice visitor center was a trailer that served its function. I remember going there as a kid... Your trip report brought back some good memories. Thanks for that... Both grandparents are now gone and my dad lives far away from there now.

That's cool.  I wish the community around the area was nicer, but I enjoy going there when I'm in the area and get the chance.  I really don't think a lot of people know these histories.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »
Oct 16th- Flight out TUL- BUR, Santa Monica Pier in evening or Knott's Scary Farm, up to Son
Oct 17th- Universal Hollywood for HHN
Oct 18th-  SFMM or Knotts or other, up to Son
Oct 19th- Disneyland/DAC/Oogie Boogie
Oct.20th- 8am to 12pm, possible Disneyland cleanup , flight home SNA-TUL.

This my first trip with just me and my Son.The girl has flown the nest and Momma sez no theme parks for her.

We have a cruise book for the first week of Jan for all witha couple of days before hand in Orlando(Universal for the new coasters, If riding Rise of Resistance is unsuccessful in LA, a day at Studios)

Longer term

Alaska cruise booked for June 19th to 26th. Vancouver R/T
But we are flying into Sea and doing 10days in PNW Driveing down the coast to Brookings over to Crater to Hood to Multnomah Falls To St Helen's to Ranier.
Plan on quick stops at Wild Waves, Playland in Vancouver pre cruise, Amtrak between Seattle and Vancouver.

The Son and I plane on a week road trip to hit up parks in Iowa, Minny, Wisconsin, and Illinios

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 07:59:44 PM »
I'm just trying to make camping reservations - anywhere - which is currently a lost cause. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 07:19:49 PM »
Trip is done.

Santa Monica Pier for Saturday Sunset. Oddly enough there was a Christian Pro Life Concert going on. They have cleaned up the homeless junkies for the most part for the time being. Still plenty around though.

It was good fun, nothing was ever to expected but just a place to spend our first evening in town. We spent the first part of the day at Griffith Observatory/Le Brea Tar Pits /Farmers Market/Pinks Hot Dogs
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 07:22:05 PM by chittlins »

Irrumater

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
Finally time for our Universal Orlando Trip 10/25-10/29. I had a "small" hiccup in the form of open heart surgery on Sept 16, but not going to let that stop me!
Unfortunately that means no Velocicoaster this trip and Dr said Hulk/Forbidden Journey are out as well due to the chest restraints. Everything else is fair game as long as I feel up to it, which really surprised me 5 weeks out. I am doing Halloween Horror Nights Weds night and am very much looking forward to that, as I have wanted to go for years but my wife doesn't care for scares and my daughter was too young., She turns 14 next month and is chomping at the bit for HHN  ;D
Staying at Hard Rock so we get to take advantage of the included express passes