Author Topic: Branson Strip 2020  (Read 16056 times)

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Branson Strip 2020
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:03 PM »
Hey guys,

A Buddy of mine and I are planning a weekend trip to SDC in late July - Go to the park one day, and explore some of the strip the other day. We did the exact same thing last July as well. I was wondering if there were any major additions/subtractions from the strip since last July? Last year we did both mountain coasters, as well as the BigFoot Drop Tower. But is there anything new that would be worthy of trying out? Right now, the plan is to ride the Ferris Wheel and do the Heavy Metal HighRise go kart track.

I am also open to suggestions for things that may not be new, but are things I should check out while I am down there. The 3 things me and my buddy did last year are really the only things i have done on the Branson Strip aside from the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum.

Thanks guys!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Branson Strip 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
Wonderworks is open now
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm waiting to hear someone report on the amphibious car at the Landing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 10:50:36 PM »
I'm waiting to hear someone report on the amphibious car at the Landing.

I saw one on display at the fountain area but never saw where they launch from.  The ones at Disney Springs are expensive to ride.  No idea on what they are here. 
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »
Hey guys,

A Buddy of mine and I are planning a weekend trip to SDC in late July - Go to the park one day, and explore some of the strip the other day. We did the exact same thing last July as well. I was wondering if there were any major additions/subtractions from the strip since last July? Last year we did both mountain coasters, as well as the BigFoot Drop Tower. But is there anything new that would be worthy of trying out? Right now, the plan is to ride the Ferris Wheel and do the Heavy Metal HighRise go kart track.

I am also open to suggestions for things that may not be new, but are things I should check out while I am down there. The 3 things me and my buddy did last year are really the only things i have done on the Branson Strip aside from the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum.

Thanks guys!
Wonderworks was cool, but much of it is for kids.
Titanic is good.
veterans memorial museum is vastly underrated.
Pirates Cove if you’re into putt putt.
Cheeky Monkey if youre into bars and bbq.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!

Another vote for Cheeky Monkee, whether because it is a bar, or because they do have great BBQ..  My fave is the Pulled Pork Sammich,  followed up close by the Quesadilla..

If you are into shows, The Haygoods has probably the best show in town.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »
We were in town over the 4th weekend.  A quick unplanned trip. Did not go to SDC because my GF is having hip replacement surgery next week and she did not think she could navigate all the walking. As for Branson welllll.

The strip is just getting downright ugly. Multiple chain fences , Multiple abandoned hotel/cheap motels that look like  drug centers. Newer attractions are trying to up the ante but when you plop a huge new building in the ghetto it looks just like that. A building in the ghetto. Wonderworks is another giant Albatross that looks so out of place.

Why can this city not get its act together on planning and zoning? All, and I mean all the theatres looked shabby and thrown together and unkept. Even those that are supposedly doing well.
Whatever that is that is in the old Starlight theatre has nothing that says what is inside. Just a bunch of huge letters trying to wow you about something.

It is so sad to see how this town has regressed.

As for the good. Danas was excellent as always.  Tried Botanas mexican for the first time and had excellent food, service and Margaritas. We will go back for sure. Center Stage restaurant was the best of all the food. A excellent choice for dinner.

Rode the Mountain coaster on 165 for the first time and had a great impression of that.
Also, went to SOTH play on the night of the 4th. They had a decent crowd probably 50% of capacity and did very well at social distancing people. I am not a show person but my GF had never seen it and wanted to. It was a great thing to do on a beautiful cool evening. Speaking of SOTH , It is great to see the owners throwing a lot of money to make it relevant in the current age. A new Zipline course, restaurant, and the rope courses they added earlier. They are also adding a small gauge train to tour the homestead in. It looked almost complete. It should be a nice addition.

Good and Bad but it still was a good weekend.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
We were in town over the 4th weekend.  A quick unplanned trip. Did not go to SDC because my GF is having hip replacement surgery next week and she did not think she could navigate all the walking. As for Branson welllll.

The strip is just getting downright ugly. Multiple chain fences , Multiple abandoned hotel/cheap motels that look like  drug centers. Newer attractions are trying to up the ante but when you plop a huge new building in the ghetto it looks just like that. A building in the ghetto. Wonderworks is another giant Albatross that looks so out of place.

Why can this city not get its act together on planning and zoning? All, and I mean all the theatres looked shabby and thrown together and unkept. Even those that are supposedly doing well.
Whatever that is that is in the old Starlight theatre has nothing that says what is inside. Just a bunch of huge letters trying to wow you about something.

It is so sad to see how this town has regressed.

As for the good. Danas was excellent as always.  Tried Botanas mexican for the first time and had excellent food, service and Margaritas. We will go back for sure. Center Stage restaurant was the best of all the food. A excellent choice for dinner.

Rode the Mountain coaster on 165 for the first time and had a great impression of that.
Also, went to SOTH play on the night of the 4th. They had a decent crowd probably 50% of capacity and did very well at social distancing people. I am not a show person but my GF had never seen it and wanted to. It was a great thing to do on a beautiful cool evening. Speaking of SOTH , It is great to see the owners throwing a lot of money to make it relevant in the current age. A new Zipline course, restaurant, and the rope courses they added earlier. They are also adding a small gauge train to tour the homestead in. It looked almost complete. It should be a nice addition.

Good and Bad but it still was a good weekend.

It’s like you visited a completely different Strip than what is actually there.  It’s actually looking better than it has in a long time.  Wonderworks is a great new building on the strip.  Albatross? No.  That’s what is called a weenie.  It draws you further down the strip. 

As far as chain link fences, sure let’s go there.  There is a revitalization project across from Dixie Stampede where an old motel was.  There’s fences where the new Boardwalk is going in next to the Grand Shoppes.  RibCrib closed.  That new attraction in the Starlight Theatre is called Beyond the Lens! (It’s a pop culture and selfie attraction).  The theaters look fine too. 
SWOOSH

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »
veterans memorial museum is vastly underrated....agreed. I could spend hours in there with my dad. Great place to go. And the Mountain Coaster on 165 is good to go. Hit Dana’s down the road after for some pork bbq nachos or a bbq baked stuffed potato. There is a lot to do if you plan stuff out. We are a couple in our 50’s.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:43:59 PM by SDC-BMW »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »
Also, went to SOTH play on the night of the 4th. They had a decent crowd probably 50% of capacity and did very well at social distancing people. I am not a show person but my GF had never seen it and wanted to. It was a great thing to do on a beautiful cool evening. Speaking of SOTH , It is great to see the owners throwing a lot of money to make it relevant in the current age. A new Zipline course, restaurant, and the rope courses they added earlier. They are also adding a small gauge train to tour the homestead in.

veterans memorial museum is vastly underrated....agreed. I could spend hours in there with my dad. Great place to go. And the Mountain Coaster on 165 is good to go. Hit Dana’s down the road after for some pork bbq nachos or a bbq baked stuffed potato. There is a lot to do if you plan stuff out. We are a couple in our 50’s.

As far as SOTH activities, I wont support them. Since the new owners elected to NOT do the summer cruise saying it took too much of their time to put it on...  Odd since the cruise has been in town for years (literally). Their decision cost the town millions of dollars in revenue for that week, with no recourse to them..

Agreed the Veterens museum is great..

Mountain coaster on 165 is pretty nice, not sure if they have the Zip line open or not, never see anyone on it.
BBQ Nachos?  Make sure you try the ones at Gettin' Basted.. I think they are the best in town.!

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
I have a feeling it was the insurance cost of the cruise that made them pull out and not the time it takes. I know a lot of things that have been "cancelled" due to rising insurance costs and at the end of the day they could not stomach it - or afford it

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31:06 AM »
"[R]elevant in the current age"?

As soon as I see that phrase, I am out.  SotH is not about the "current age."  It's about an earlier one, and I don't go to places immersed in the current one for enjoyment.

What a shame.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
^ Agree.  It was the book Shepherd of the Hills and Marvel Cave that brought the area to prominence in the first place.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »
I have a feeling it was the insurance cost of the cruise that made them pull out and not the time it takes. I know a lot of things that have been "cancelled" due to rising insurance costs and at the end of the day they could not stomach it - or afford it

Just another excuse they can or are using.

The cruise was a huge event for the area, hotels, motels, Groceries, Bars, Restaurants, Shopping Mall and the list goes on. Without the Cruise, the town as a whole loss millions of dollars in Revenue.

Bottom line is they (SOTH) did not think they were getting enough of the "pie", so they cancelled it.    They are putting lots of money into stuff out there.(as listed) Appears they are trying to get people to come out and not leave the property except to sleep. 

LOL!!  Yep I have strong feeling on this topic as do others..!!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 02:21:15 PM »
"[R]elevant in the current age"?

As soon as I see that phrase, I am out.  SotH is not about the "current age."  It's about an earlier one, and I don't go to places immersed in the current one for enjoyment.

What a shame.

And if they had not put relevant attractions in it would be dead and closed up. What they are doing is not intrusive to the original story. Just expanding the base of attractions so everyone has a choice.

As for the cruise or whatever ? If it brings in so many millions then why has someone else not picked it up ? Sounds like a no brainer.