Author Topic: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm  (Read 32371 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Duck swamped by waves at Tablerock...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 06:59:41 AM »

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
This is terrible. Families out trying to have a good time and then this? Horrible.

Ive not ridden the ducks in years and never have after those others sank elsehwere. They are not safe and need to go away, imo. I understand this was a unique storm but those things are floating traps. Im surprised about the storm and im surprised 11 people are dead, but im not surprised one sank.

Prayers to all involved.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Duck swamped by waves at Tablerock...
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »
Don't pre-judge, I think they probably should have held back the boats but I had the same storm here just east of Branson.  It came up very fast and very hard, no warning.  I was scared to be in the garage with the door open and storms dont scare me.  The wind was mean.  Sad accident but the Bell was out as well, this was a freak hard fast event.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
Merged the two different threads on this.

Such a terrible tragedy. The videos I have seen are so hard to watch. I can't imagine how scary that would have been. Prayers go out to the families involved.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
Death toll is up to 13 now.  :'(
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
14 confirmed survivors of which 7 were injured. 
13 confirmed deaths (ranging in age from 1 to 70)
4 still unaccounted for
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
This is very sad and it could have been any of us on those boats.  I have not ridden them in many years but never will again I don't think.  I am trying to remember I do not think you wear life jackets while on the ride do you?  But I assume they have them onboard somewhere.  In those winds it would have been impossible to get them on though I would think.

This give a black eye to the entire Branson area and I would bet it is the end of the Ducks.  Hershend dumped it at the right time I guess.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »

This is very sad and it could have been any of us on those boats. 

I have not ridden them in many years but never will again I don't think.  I am trying to remember I do not think you wear life jackets while on the ride do you?  But I assume they have them onboard somewhere.  In those winds it would have been impossible to get them on though I would think.

This give a black eye to the entire Branson area and I would bet it is the end of the Ducks. 

Hershend dumped it at the right time I guess.

I was also worried that maybe some of my Branson friens may have been out for a cruise, but fortunatley no bad phone calls

No you dont wear life jackets during ride, Yes they are on vehicle (has to be, it is a federal law).
They had the Plastic window zipped shut on the ride, So I am afraid when it "sank" The only way out was the back door, or the captain to fold down front window.. Bad deal under these conditions..

I dont know that it will give a black eye to Branson? But the Ducks rides will be crippled for sure..

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
This is the lead story on NBC Today show this morning with several videos and interviews:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unknown-number-people-killed-when-boat-crashes-missouri-lake-n893011?icid=today_hp_NBCtopheadlines

Today also had a segment about previous incidents with Ducks:

https://www.today.com/news/how-safe-are-duck-boats-deadly-accident-missouri-lake-renews-t133844

This is such a tragedy.

We rode the Ducks once on Table Rock and once on Taneycomo. Life jackets were in a rack above us. No one wore a life jacket during the tours.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
I rode the Ducks once back in 2011 and I can’t remember-is the driver the only employee in each vehicle?

pintrader

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
I believe under current ownership-management there are 2.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
AS of 10:15 this morning..........

"""Seventeen people died Thursday night in a wind-driven lake tragedy that capsized and sank a tourist boat in the Missouri Ozarks.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said some of the dead were children but he would not be specific. Media reports said at least three of the injured were under 18 years old; their injuries were minor. At least seven people were taken to hospitals, only one with a serious injury.

All missing people appeared to have been accounted for. Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader confirmed the total number of fatalities just after 10:15 a.m. Friday."""

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
I have ridden the Ducks often, and I will again, Lord willing.  Have we shut down the airlines when a plane crashes?  Put an end to bus lines when a bus crashes?  Shall we close down all thrill rides because of accidents on some?

This is a tragedy, but any loss of life in such circumstances is.  Friends, LIFE is neither safe nor secure.  But this is not an example of irrational behavior or fundamentally dangerous vehicles.  This is like a bus being blown off the road in a tornado.  It is most emphatically not a reason to bring to an end an otherwise wholesome and enjoyable experience.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
I have ridden the Ducks often, and I will again, Lord willing.  Have we shut down the airlines when a plane crashes?  Put an end to bus lines when a bus crashes?  Shall we close down all thrill rides because of accidents on some?

This is a tragedy, but any loss of life in such circumstances is.  Friends, LIFE is neither safe nor secure.  But this is not an example of irrational behavior or fundamentally dangerous vehicles.  This is like a bus being blown off the road in a tornado.  It is most emphatically not a reason to bring to an end an otherwise wholesome and enjoyable experience.

Normally I would agree but the Ducks as a whole have had some serious accidents in the recent past that have made national headlines.  While I agree this was a freak accident the negative press and sure to be coming lawsuits might prove too big of a liability for Ripley’s to even want to continue the program.  We’ll find out in due time but I personally do not see Ride the Ducks returning
SWOOSH