Author Topic: Fire In the Hole/Flooded Mine  (Read 20163 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Fire In the Hole/Flooded Mine
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
Fire in the hole needs some work.  I noticed at the start of the year that some of the lights inside were replaced with blue lights, I assume LED lights.  For example the baldknobber setting the bridge on fire was always holding a red light, which makes sense, as its supposed to be fire.  He now has a blue light, which looks stupid.  Today riding it NONE of the music or sound effects appeared to be working.  The only one was the part about putting on the pants.  The bridge collapse noise was gone, the laughing sound was gone, no train whistle.   

This year for sure, and I think part of last year I have noticed the saw blade no longer moves in FM.  On the part where the guy sets off the TNT which blows water up and the flood of water comes down no longer works like it used to.  The flood of water comes in, but we dont see the big explosion of water first anymore.  Outside as you come back in, they don't have the cannon exploding in the water anymore.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Fire In the Hole/Flooded Mine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
I think we are all in agreement the PTB really need to put some love into the older rides.. Get them all fixed up and special effects working.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
I was happy to see that, at FM, many of the lanterns are some kind of simulated flame.  They look VERY good, and I applaud that effort!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
This is where I repeat that FITH needs a redo with modern tech that includes a Drop Track at the Burning Bridge and then launch into the dark finish.  Anyone that's been on Verbolten knows how awesome this would be.

Buy we all know how awesome a modern tech Diving Bell would be too.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
What I would say is get FITH working like it should be, but build another indoor dark ride similar but with modern tech and more thrills.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »
This is just me talking...

I think we’ll see the Lost River and American Plunge dealt with before we see anything major happen at FM and FITH.

Personally I think complete rebuilds will need to happen.  I think integration of the two rides into FL would be ideal.  The new log flume could go in the WB lot.  The new LR could be themed to fire boat rafts and maybe even have a waterfall like Infinity Falls. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

I think we’ll see the Lost River and American Plunge dealt with before we see anything major happen at FM and FITH.

Personally I think complete rebuilds will need to happen.  I think integration of the two rides into FL would be ideal.  The new log flume could go in the WB lot.  The new LR could be themed to fire boat rafts and maybe even have a waterfall like Infinity Falls.

What need to be done with Lost River?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
From the outside looking in, I think the park is slowly allowing the classics to slip away because are gradually getting more cynical in how they manage capital investments and maintenance of things that don't provide immediate, overt ROI. A lot of the things that people complain about on FM and FITH could have been fixed years ago for not a lot of money in the broad scheme of things. They'll spend tens of millions on a shiny new coaster, but neglect $10,000 of cosmetic repairs for a ride that the entire family has enjoyed for generations.

This is similar to how other parks operate, especially Six Flags and Cedar Fair. It's a corporate mindset problem. They are completely focused on the "new", the "brand", the stuff they can show off. Gone are the days when the Herschends kept everything around and refurbished or re-purposed as needed. The whole park has a short shelf life now, and when a piece is deemed "used up" it is unceremoniously bulldozed and rebuilt into something else.

That's not to say that redevelopment is always bad, but the apparent mindset bothers me. Too much of the old character of the park gets thrown away without much thought given to it. The newer people don't notice and I doubt many of them would care anyway. Stuff like Flooded Mine was built back when the park was more of a labor of love and the creators enjoyed the process of making it as detailed and unique as they could. It's replacement will be made by a bunch of contractors and designers trying to cost-justify every little thing, and the PTB will be looking for what gimmick they can squeeze in to make it "marketable".

/rant. Sorry, I have to do that every once in awhile. It's cathartic.

Yeah, the day of reckoning is coming for FM and FITH. They are simply getting old, and either mass-refurbishment or replacements are in order. I am a big fan of classic rides, especially these specifically, and obviously I'm super pessimistic that they will be replaced with anything that captures the essence of the originals.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
Shave, the hubs is in a group with a gentlemen that worked at SDC for years and years. He retired from a prestigious park character position the year before the corporation took over.  I wish I could've heard the conversation they had.  Hubs came home talking about it.  He essentially talked about most of the things you said in the above post. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

Major rehab on the canals.  Apparently that earthquake we had last year (?) made it rather porous and it loses a lot of water. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »
Shave, the hubs is in a group with a gentlemen that worked at SDC for years and years. He retired from a prestigious park character position the year before the corporation took over.  I wish I could've heard the conversation they had.  Hubs came home talking about it.  He essentially talked about most of the things you said in the above post. 

Lol, yeah... listening to the "old timers" can really deflate the way you look at the park these days. There are so many little things that are no longer done, so many traditions lost, so much "non-PC" stuff stripped away... You just have to remember that the park has always been evolving and that this is just the way the world turns. I try not to bitch too much about inevitable change, but I do have a love for the old SDC so it can be tough.

Major rehab on the canals.  Apparently that earthquake we had last year (?) made it rather porous and it loses a lot of water. 

I could see that being the case. We'll see what happens. I'm betting right now their budget is so turned around that they try to do rehab work instead of completely re-doing the whole thing. Then again, maybe insurance is on their case about it. After the Australia accident, I hear it's a lot tougher to keep those rides going even though they are statistically safe. LR is one of the earliest models, and lacks some of the modern features to keep people from falling out. The station is also pretty bad since the boats pound into each other as people are trying to get on and off and you have to be careful not to slip off. 

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »
A lot of the things that people complain about on FM and FITH could have been fixed years ago for not a lot of money in the broad scheme of things. They'll spend tens of millions on a shiny new coaster, but neglect $10,000 of cosmetic repairs for a ride that the entire family has enjoyed for generations.

PREACH!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
I would not be surprised if one day they decide having the gun on the train robbery will be deemed too controversial and get rid of that, perhaps get rid of a robbery completely.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »

They could replace it with some kind of diving bell.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

They could replace it with some kind of diving bell.

Remove AP and then build it there.  They could use the Lake/Waterfall for the entrance facade.  They’ll need to eventually rebuild that waterfall anyway so 2 birds 1 stone.

A version of Aquatopia at TDS would be better though
SWOOSH