Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 75762 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
Went to the park this past Sat, the 15th.

I was also out there on Saturday!  A bit on the crowded side, but not overwhelming, and we were able to do a lot. I wonder how many times we ended up crossing paths during the day...

For me it was more about shows and the festival on Saturday, catching the saloon, homestead pickers, wild west show, and more, and had a blast doing that.  it was also a way to avoid the lines for the rides. :-)

I put my day into video form, so you can see it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI628gVs-GM
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
I went on Sunday the 16th. Got there a bit before opening. Quite a lot more traffic than I was expecting but it was quite warm. I have taken to riding my motorcycle when going alone and that makes getting parked and leaving SO much easier.

Each year it seems like there are less and less craftspeople... But I think the truth of the matter is that the last couple years the craftspeople there just did not have crafts I was interested in. I am more into paintings and photos and there were just a few of each. I saw the Farnum Family which I was skeptical of at first and then they played a version of "Pancho and Lefty" that I enjoyed immensely. Sawy The Western Flyer as well but I have trouble getting into Texas swing music. I intended to see the western show but the lines for it were past the barn and I was not in the mood to stand in the sun and wait.

I am hoping to get back in early October when they switch out the craftspeople but not sure my schedule is going to allow that.

I did manage to finally get a recording of the train whistle and it rolling by sans conductors... Hoping to use this in a song. I stood near Red Gold Hall and waited until it came around that bend. I would have preferred the longer whistle earlier in the ride, but figured trying to ride and record would be ruined by all of the people on the train.

With the crowds I have seen this year even on my normal visiting day of Sunday, I am not looking forward to Christmas crowds

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Today was a nice visit, and I was surprised at the number of people there on a Wednesday.  Lots of kids! I agree with Jemmicat in that I don't think there are as many crafters there either.  Talked to a couple of vendors we always stop and talk with who told us that they were told they aren't being invited back next year. For the first time, I got to hear Violet Hensley play her fiddle and sing.  That was an honor! I really enjoyed the reps from the Cherokee nation and learned a bit of history from the potter, bow maker, and flute player.  There was a cooking demo on the schedule, but was told that it's only held on Sat., so it must've been a misprint in the schedule. Hubs only comment was that so much of the park, at least in the back, was closing or closed at 5:30, and he was annoyed by it. We had to walk to the front to find one open to get a drink.

We went with the sole purpose of riding water rides and leaving, but got side tracked with other things and rode only LR.  Came home drenched, but had a really great day.   

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
Talked to a couple of vendors we always stop and talk with who told us that they were told they aren't being invited back next year.

Is this due to them not having this festival next year or they just don't want the outside vendors?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
Talked to a couple of vendors we always stop and talk with who told us that they were told they aren't being invited back next year.

Is this due to them not having this festival next year or they just don't want the outside vendors?

You know, I'm not really sure.  I didn't want to ask too many questions when it was brought up.  The two that spoke about not coming back were in the Frisco Barn.  One mentioned that the entire back of the park was in for a remodel, but not sure how he would know that.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »

You know, I'm not really sure.  I didn't want to ask too many questions when it was brought up.  The two that spoke about not coming back were in the Frisco Barn.  One mentioned that the entire back of the park was in for a remodel, but not sure how he would know that.

Hmmmm...... this is so close to the waterboggin tower. Hmmmmmmmm..............

Sounds like SDC is about to get their own new area similar to dollywood. Waterboggin footprint and Employee parking lot.

Bad News for Flooded Mine?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:12:46 PM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »

Sounds like SDC is about to get their own new area similar to dollywood. Waterboggin footprint and Employee parking lot.

It was indicated to me 2 years ago that Both FM and Boatworks Theatre were in danger....  Boatworks more then FM..

But with TT last year, I wouldnt expect anything very major happening this year, especially with NO annoucements and NO vicous rumors floating around.

No doubt though, from all the cancellations for vendors for Fall Festival... Something is in the works... ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »

Highly doubt it.  I've heard some interesting rumors from the craftspeople that I never saw come to pass.  We know that they are redoing the festival event next year, as evidenced by the departure of the Wild West Show and a few other small changes they've announced.  It's very possible they're just completely reworking how they're gong to do that whole event.

But if they were doing a major remodel of an area of the park, you can bet they would have announced it and been milking it for all it's worth already.  That's not the kind of thing they are going to do under the radar and not say anything about.  Remember how early the hints were dropping about Christmas in Midtown- a full year before it happened.  They're not going to have a major project like that go by and nothing even hinted until a quiet rumor 6 months from when it would be complete.

Which is also why I laugh every time certain people start talking about the redone entrance and moving it or Echo Hollow.  Again things that the PR department isn't going to keep hidden.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »

Highly doubt it.  I've heard some interesting rumors from the craftspeople that I never saw come to pass.  We know that they are redoing the festival event next year, as evidenced by the departure of the Wild West Show and a few other small changes they've announced.  It's very possible they're just completely reworking how they're gong to do that whole event.

But if they were doing a major remodel of an area of the park, you can bet they would have announced it and been milking it for all it's worth already.  That's not the kind of thing they are going to do under the radar and not say anything about.  Remember how early the hints were dropping about Christmas in Midtown- a full year before it happened.  They're not going to have a major project like that go by and nothing even hinted until a quiet rumor 6 months from when it would be complete.

Which is also why I laugh every time certain people start talking about the redone entrance and moving it or Echo Hollow.  Again things that the PR department isn't going to keep hidden.

Good to hear that, Sir Willow!  I hope you're right.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »

Not if it's for 2020.

New shows/festivals next year, new area /revamp with a major ride 2020. Something like that would take more than a year.  Could we see the at grade train crossing go bye bye for a overpass/underpass?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:45:45 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
When they built Fireman's Landing, they put in the infrastructure for a train Track crossing(see photo).
That could easily be used as part of a new pathway to connect Fireman's Landing and Grand Expo. I theorize that they would only claim the southern half of that employee parking lot for this. But if you look at how FM, Frisco Barn and the area left from the Water Boggin and you have the making of a space for a coaster. Other wildcards are RiverFront playhouse and the open air theater and if Valley Road stays.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Whenever they pull the trigger in that area -  FL and old Waterboggan....   

I am real sure that Riverfront will go too.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
I think that are was poorly used.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:51 AM »
I think that are was poorly used.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Well that and for sure the last 3 or 4 years, the maintenence on building and surrounding area is really slacking..  that is what I am noticing.... LOL, 
that and a couple of the citizens have mentioned something may happen in that area ;)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »
We were at the City Sunday.  It was a nice pleasant day, crowds were lite and all rides we rode were walk on.  When we first got there we were going to ride TT but the line was backed up to the stairs going up to the 2nd level and they only appeared to be running 1 train.  We left and didnt try it again.  Got to meet Buck Taylor who was down in the barn area selling his art work. Had a long discussion with KD at Classic.  When we were checking in there was a group of folks sitting in the lobby.  We asked her who the new owners were and she nodded to them.  I guess the place can no longer be called American owned, at least it does not appear to me to be.  She was very upset and frustrated by the number of hours they are making her work and they are now charging her to live on the property, yet require her to as they never let her off work.  As we were heading out to dinner we say some of the guys from the group who were the owners walking across the street to the one that is across and just up the road a bit, the Brickhouse something or other I believe.  I would assume they also own that one.  When we got back from dinner we brought KD some food from Florentino's.  That seemed to have made her day.  I really feel sorry for her.