Author Topic: Thunderation Closed???  (Read 4473 times)

EyeHog

• View Profile
Thunderation Closed???
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »
Hey all. Long time SDC visitor, first time SDC fans reader and poster. I was reading the Wikipedia page for SDC and noticed Thunderation was listed under "Former rides" with a caption that it closed in 2017 to make room for the new ride. The edit was made July 12.  Surely this can't be true. I absolutely hope it is not. I was there a week ago and it certainly was not closed then. Any further info on this?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:56:45 PM by EyeHog »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderation Closed???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
Say it isnt so...
they arent going to close TNT this year?

Shave? Swoop?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Don't rely on Wikipedia for your information. 
SWOOSH

EyeHog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
That's kind of what I thought. They've closed my favorite rides in the past though (waterboggan!) and as close as the new ride is to Thunderation, it had me worried. Thankfully, I can't find any other posts or articles about it anywhere, and someone has already moved it back to current rides.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
There are a lot of kids in this hobby, and some of them love trying to spread stupid rumors. Wikipedia is one of the easiest ways to do this. And then there's people who are simply mistaken but they run off and spread misinformation anyway.

They aren't going to close TNT for this, otherwise they would have made an announcement and things would be shaping up differently. I'm thinking TNT is in for a bit of TLC this off-season. It has already gotten more popular recently. I think it is going to stick around for another decade at least.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »
Nope, rode it three times last weekend. If you stop to think about it, it would be incredibly dumb on SDC's part to do away with TNT considering it is the largest and most intense Arrow Mine Train coaster in the world still in operation and it was also one of the last ones to be built. (1993) This is a staple attraction of the park that is perfect for its demographic. They also celebrated it having 1 million riders recently and the park also did some reconditioning to its signage and to the trains themselves last season.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet, as others already mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:09:52 AM by sdcfan88 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:37:45 AM »
Nope, rode it three times last weekend. If you stop to think about it, it would be incredibly dumb on SDC's part to do away with TNT considering it is the largest and most intense Arrow Mine Train coaster in the world still in operation and it was also one of the last ones to be built. (1993) This is a staple attraction of the park that is perfect for its demographic. They also celebrated it having 1 million riders recently and the park also did some reconditioning to its signage and to the trains themselves last season.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet, as others already mentioned.

Gosh, it's still a great mine train. I just wish they'd enhance it, with the missing wood tunnel from the concept art after the lift hill or enclose the lift hill with a Disneyland like Big Thunder effect.