Author Topic: Through the Decades  (Read 20731 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Decades
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »
I took some pictures last Saturday (7/26/08) of the old Gandy Dancer tracks located between the Carousel Barn and the Train Depot--

Hope the size isn't too large.  If it is, Steve, let me know and I'll try to make future images a bit smaller.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
Finally someone has the pics of those tracks you guys have been asking for.

But whoops, not to pick nits but the Gandy Dancer didn't show up until 1984.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »
^^Thanks for the pics, Zephon!

^Should the pics be moved?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »
True, HB, but I saw queries about it in this thread so I put them here.  If you want to move them to a more appropriate place, be my guest.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Looking back I see that.  The 70s and 80s seem to be confused alot in the forums.  I'll just change the name of the thread (broaden it a bit) so now we can talk about the confusion and straighten some things out.

Anyway, I never was interested in the Gandy Dancers as I considered myself too old for them.  Now, I wish I had at least looked at them more closely.  I didn't realize there was a chain lift.  I thought they were entirely human-powered.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:32:09 PM by History Buff »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
Hey, nice compromise there. 

Those Gandy Dancer cars weren't all that easy to get going, as I recall.  They required quite a bit of umphhh for a little kid.  The lift elevated them a little so it was a slight downhill grade as they traveled around the track.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
Most of the time, as I recall, the "citizen" was behind the kid adding a push.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
Wow... Everytime I see photos of what's left of the Gandy Dancer I'm always amazed. I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems impressive that something like that has been left so in tact in the woods like that. I've seen glimpses of it from a far several times, but I still haven't made it down there to get a really good look at it for myself.

Will the construction this year finally take this away?

sdcforever

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
^I've been wondering the same thing ever since the 2009 project was announced.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 12:14:22 AM »
Earlier in this thread, there was some question about the Tree House and Landing.  While the Landing is currently being re-something-or-othered, I thought I would show some pics of the still standing, although rickety looking, tree house that sits above the Landing.

The tree part where you have to climb some skinny stairs in a tight spiral (Also notice the swinging bridge connecting to the "house" part:

The tree house as seen from the Landing area:

The tree house from the Christmas shop, looking mighty rickety:

And the ghost trap:

sdcforever

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 09:09:53 AM »
^Wow, it does look very rickety.  Pretty unsafe.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
Wouldn't you love to have it in your backyard though?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
^Wow, it does look very rickety.  Pretty unsafe.

It's supposed to look rickety, the entire Landing was supposed to be hodged together by Tom Sawyer and his group of comrades, remember? It's just been awhile since they've updated the exterior. If they could just fix the support problem, they could open this thing up again in no time. As I understand it though, that can't be reasonably done, so surely it will come out this off-season.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
It's supposed to look rickety, the entire Landing was supposed to be hodged together by Tom Sawyer and his group of comrades, remember?

Yes, but I was looking specifically at the ledge-walkway outside the upper story in the third picture.  It could be easily fixed though.  I think a big part of the problem is liability.  The tree itself has that very narrow spiral staircase that's easy to slip off of, and I would imagine the structure of the tree may be something that would be difficult to fix.

They could make something really cool like the Swiss Family treehouse at Disney only make it interactive with the Splash Battle and the area.  But not with water!  Enough with all the water shooting already.  Like  you said in the other thread, we need some really great dry additions to the area to really make it an event.  But that's for the 2009 thread.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »
Well since I started going to SDC in 1966, the only portion of the park was from the hotel down to the Flooded mines and the train, the only two rides in the park.  They had a Civil war  cannon firing competition between the North and South to the left of the Church where they would shot oil cans filled with cement down into the valley at a sheet that was hung in the trees from old cannons. One of my favorite street show was down by the saloon, a railmaker had a cart that demontrated his rainmaking machine.  All the kids would help by turning nobs and pumps. After they had worked so hard at this, the rain maker would declare the rain had come and a spinkler in the tree would come on a produce the rain. They brought this show back a couple years ago next to the bakery and a guy on top of the building behind you would get you wet with a waterhose. Oh and the flooded mine did not have the guns.  In the shanty town area of Lake Silver, when the train came by, the conductor would discover that someone had taken his boat at his favorite fishing hole, he would shot at this guy and a leak would appear in the boat.
SDC has always made a great past to remember