Author Topic: SDC during Christmas season questions.  (Read 7127 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC during Christmas season questions.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
sirwillow, when you say crowds can be "enormous" can you give me any idea how bad enormous is?  We once went to Disneyland the first week of January when schools were out and many of the lines were an hour (and it wasn't uncommon to get near the front of the line and they'd tell you the ride was down after wasting 45 minutes).  Like that sort of enormous?  The only time I've been to Silver Dollar City was a couple years ago in late August.  We went on a Saturday and crowds were what I'd call "moderate".  There were a lot of people there and we had to park quite far away in the lot, but line times were not prohibitive to ride anything.

We are not looking specifically to visit SDC so aren't looking for the very best time to visit or anything.  It's that we'll be passing by it on the road on the Wed before Thanksgiving and the Saturday after so are wondering if it's worth trying to stop to see the Christmas festival or if the crowds would be too miserable.

When we talk about the crowds for the Old Time Christmas, we mean miserable, all the way from taking two hours to park, to belly-to-belly crowds in the park.  You'll want to go on an evening other than Saturday.  At the same time, you have to take in all the shows and lights; it is worth a jaunt to see it all.  I suggest you find some of the old threads on the forum for some tips.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
When sirwillow said enormous, he meant it!  I've been there when it was so miserable we could not move - and we were trying to work our way off the square to leave!  We literally walked thru hospitality into a reckoning crowd that was immobile.  Our original plan was to get away from the square thinking that was the only place it could be that crowded, but couldn't do it.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:01:01 PM by Gilligan »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
sirwillow, when you say crowds can be "enormous" can you give me any idea how bad enormous is?  We once went to Disneyland the first week of January when schools were out and many of the lines were an hour (and it wasn't uncommon to get near the front of the line and they'd tell you the ride was down after wasting 45 minutes).  Like that sort of enormous?  The only time I've been to Silver Dollar City was a couple years ago in late August.  We went on a Saturday and crowds were what I'd call "moderate".  There were a lot of people there and we had to park quite far away in the lot, but line times were not prohibitive to ride anything.

We are not looking specifically to visit SDC so aren't looking for the very best time to visit or anything.  It's that we'll be passing by it on the road on the Wed before Thanksgiving and the Saturday after so are wondering if it's worth trying to stop to see the Christmas festival or if the crowds would be too miserable.

Having worked at Disney- you caught a light to moderate crowd if you were there the first week of January, having missed the actual Christmas/ holiday crowds.  So imagine that, but much much worse.

On Saturdays the crowds are often so think that you are shoulder to shoulder, front to back, solid with other people the entire time you are there.  Think 45-60 minute lines for a snack.  The train on Saturdays will often have an hour wait with running 2 trains- I've seen that line over the top of the corkscrew hill, all the way down it, and to the trestle crossing at the bottom near the saloon.  And Thanksgiving weekend you can fully expect both the Friday and the Saturday to look like that.  Honsetly, I wouldn't even bother attempting on the Saturday.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving while better is still going to be very busy and the crowds will be pretty heavy because of the number of people on vacation at that point.  It's still likely to be fairly ugly, but at least a manageable ugly.  But that whole weekend, as well as the week between Christmas and New Years are days to avoid if you can and try to go some other time.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

anon42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
But that whole weekend, as well as the week between Christmas and New Years are days to avoid if you can and try to go some other time.

Thanks for the advice.  We wouldn't try to go another time though since we live 10 hrs away and are just driving by it to visit nearby relatives over Thanksgiving.  So it's a decision whether to stop then or not at all.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
I always hope for less-than-perfect weather for Thanksgiving weekend. We have been a couple of times when the weather was clear and in the 60's, and the crowds are miserable. If it's cold and damp, the crowds aren't as bad! Sounds fun, doesn't it!!  ;)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
Last year, it started raining.  I was ready to leave! The hubs started talking to the blacksmith, and by the time they finished the rain let up.  By the time we made it to Delilah's it stopped, so we sat outside with coffee. It was the greatest night ever! We felt like we had the park to ourselves. 

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
As of right now my chance to attend is looking like Christmas week or the following week. I gotta bad feeling about that. lol

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »
Most of the big crowds will be on Saturdays and holidays. Crowds should get bigger the farther it gets into December, but the last week should have less people than most other weeks. I promise you, at least 1 Saturday there will be at least 25,000, all lines will be using every long way they have, WF will be going upstairs (which means about a 3 hour wait), and it will be shoulder to shoulder traffic in practically every road. The smaller back roads in SDC may not be as crowded though. If possible, go on a weekday, but avoid holidays.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
As of right now my chance to attend is looking like Christmas week or the following week. I gotta bad feeling about that. lol

You should.  You're looking at huge crowds every day that week after Christmas.  The week before on the weekdays won't be quite so bad since most kids will still be in school with Christmas being on a Sunday, but I would be sure if you go to go on the Weds or Thurs.  Starting Friday the 23rd the crowds are going to be ugly packed.

Plus you'll have to worry about the weather if you're wanting to do rides.  Most days that time of year it's cold enough to affect ride operation and which rides open.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.