Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107979 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 11:33:58 PM »
Sounds good to me. A new festival could have been interesting, but the Bluegrass and Gospel festivals bring the city back closer to its roots so I enjoy them. Especially the BBQ festival. Hopefully if they extend it they can also work on expanding the offerings. Right now the BBQ portion of the festival just means theres extra BBQ being served in Red Gold and some accessories for sale in the Frisco barn. Awhile back they were bringing in more outside vendors, which was really cool. I know it's tough for some of the smaller shops to send people to SDC for a month though. At least they could try introducing some more variety in the in-house offerings for the festival.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
I think it would be cool if one weekend they actually had a BBQ competition.....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
I doubt they'd go for it, but a BBQ, Bluegrass & Brews festival would pack them in.  Have area microbreweries come in and sell beer to pair with the BBQ in the RGHH.  The beer would have to consumed in there.  I know WOF has been very successful with their BBQ & Brews festival and it has been expanded to almost every park in the chain now. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:41:44 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »
I doubt they'd go for it, but a BBQ, Bluegrass & Brews festival would back them in.  Have area microbreweries come in and sell beer to pair with the BBQ in the RGHH.  The beer would have to consumed in there.  I know WOF has been very successful with their BBQ & Brews festival and it has been expanded to almost every park in the chain now.

I agree 100%. But it is doubtful we will ever see beer at SDC. The Micro breweries that have popped up in the last few years produce some amazing beers.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »
Heck, just have Octoberfest with a Bier Garten.  Bring in some classic German fair curcuit rides including a one time Olympia Looping engagements.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
I don't think a park that promotes a Southern Gospel Picnic is going to approve a beer fest.  I'd be surprised if they didn't stick a new festival in somewhere because after announcing World Fest's last seaon I got to do a survey online where they asked for survey ideas.  I told them a native american festival (with dancing, crafts, demos, etc) or a Mark Twain festival would be appealing to me.
I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2016, 06:33:37 PM »
  Have area microbreweries come in and sell beer to pair with the BBQ in the RGHH.

Swoosh you are right about this idea and If anyone considers the cost of beer at a park and the amount of foam you get in the cup I think intoxication would be cost prohibitive.
I do think it would be a smart idea.  As far as the PTB having issue with drinking I can tell you that I am aware that they have consumed beverages and I believe still do.  I am not going to get into it and I am not insinuating anyone drinks to excess but they are not tea totelers. Its am image thing. I would not want beer because of the adult element but shoot at $12 a beer not much chance.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
Here are some photos of the current conditions for Project 2017 (Echo Hollow Upgrades).  There is also a photo of the land clearing for Project 2018 in there for good measure.

https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/08/projects-2017-2018-sdc.html

It is alarming that you can see Indian Point Road from the back porch now. (granted you have to know where to look - but it's there)
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:43 PM »
I don't think a park that promotes a Southern Gospel Picnic is going to approve a beer fest.  I'd be surprised if they didn't stick a new festival in somewhere because after announcing World Fest's last seaon I got to do a survey online where they asked for survey ideas.  I told them a native american festival (with dancing, crafts, demos, etc) or a Mark Twain festival would be appealing to me.

I would LOVE a Native American festival; as much as I LOVE Mark Twain, if I had to choose between those two ideas, I'd go with Native American. But it'd need to be like World Fest in that more than one nation is represented and in an authentic manner. Can you imagine getting to meet people from all over the country representing their Nation and getting to see the crafts and try the foods that are unique to each one? Oh man, I love that you suggested that a NA fest to TPTB!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »
I think a Chili festival/Chili cook off would be nice. Hearing "Come try my chili, its the best around!" "No, come try my chili. Its 7 alarm goodness!" would be nice. Or it could be a hot sauce festival.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:41:22 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »

I would LOVE a Native American festival; as much as I LOVE Mark Twain, if I had to choose between those two ideas, I'd go with Native American. But it'd need to be like World Fest in that more than one nation is represented and in an authentic manner. Can you imagine getting to meet people from all over the country representing their Nation and getting to see the crafts and try the foods that are unique to each one? Oh man, I love that you suggested that a NA fest to TPTB!

It could really be great, but it is difficult to book native groups.  They really want to be well-compensated for their time.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
Boy, you got that right Buff!  Even right here in Oklahoma with a reservation in our back door, they charge a TON of money to come in and dance.  It's crazy.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
I'd advice to stay away from the Native American festival.  As respectful as I'm sure HFE would make it....I doubt they could pull it off without firing off some type of political correctness agenda from one or more social justice warrior groups.  It's sad that my mind goes to that but it seems to be the world we live in.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
They get tied in with the Salute to Cowboys during Harvest Fest anyway. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »
SWOOSH