Author Topic: Grandfather's Mansion Re-hab?  (Read 46918 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather's Mansion Re-hab?
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
I barley remember the waterfall. If it wernt for this site I wouldnt have remembered it. That was a LONG time ago!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
The waterfall was a great little feature. One of those little things that added so much flavor and character to SDC in the old days. I disagree with the cheepo way of solving the problem of an old water feature with a leak by simply removing it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

Removign that waterfall was a cheap....." Its leaking? just take it out, they wont notice at all....."Just like we forgot about the cave in the american plunge, the rocks not falling in the mine, the bridge not collapsing in the fire in the hole.
Just like all those " they wont notice" things
I mean really, if they can keep that water running up hill in the mansion you mean they cant plug a leak.?  ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
Last week, I watched three teenage boys who were fascinated by the "floating" water spigot in GM.  They finally came to the conclusion that the water was actually shooting up into the spigot rather than falling down.  That takes care of the source of the water.   OK, so then...where does the water GO?  These guys were a bubble off center - even more so than normal in a slanted house.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »
I know the secret behind the water spigot in GM...but I'm not telling! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »
I know the secret behind the water spigot in GM...but I'm not telling! ;D

All right Swoosh, I mean uh... Junior.  ;)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
Last week, I watched three teenage boys who were fascinated by the "floating" water spigot in GM.  They finally came to the conclusion that the water was actually shooting up into the spigot rather than falling down.  That takes care of the source of the water.   OK, so then...where does the water GO?  These guys were a bubble off center - even more so than normal in a slanted house.

That's funny.  At least they are exercising some cognitive reasoning skills.  I don't see many kids now that are aware of their surroundings at all.  Most are slumped over the life giving device that they are frantically tapping with their thumbs.  It looks like they are hooked up to the matrix. 

I've seen kids come off of the rollercoasters scrambling for their "thumb tappers" as if they are running out of air.  They are kind of like Gold fish coming up for a gulp.  There was a thread that talked about how much time people had spent on the SDC forum, and it got me to thinking about how much time these poor people are burning through staring at a blackberry.  I hope some don't look up in the future and think "I missed it"!

Back to the Mansion.  My kids and I went through it our typical four or five times during our last visit and It seems like we always find something new.  I just love the simplicity of that attraction.  I have went through that place for years, and I love looking at the old photographs on the wall thinking; "I wonder who these people are"?  This time I noticed that there was a picture of a man that appears headless when you walk to the left. After all of these years there is still something new to me.  My five year old son loved that illusion.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
Ah, if I told you the secret, the fun would be gone from the effect! Remember, as Junior Dugan, I cleaned and swept the mansion out five days a week, and sometimes was in there as the maintenance crews were repairing things...I was at first amazed, and then disappointed when I found out the truth behind several of the special effects at not only the mansion, but also flooded mine...float trip, diving bell...well, everywhere! It's like seeing a magician practice his tricks...when the magic is gone, so is much of the fun. Sometimes, it's better to be left in the dark about some things! :D

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
We all know the secret.... :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:20:43 PM by oklaSDCfan »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
Although I am not endorsing anyone to give away any of the “secrets” at Silver Dollar City, I actually get more enjoyment out knowing how a certain gag works. For example, when I see a machine, or a piece of equipment, I always want to tear it apart to see how it functions.

Whether it is behind the curtains, or inside the magician’s box, or simply turning the lights on in a dark room, I am always fascinated to learn how a particular gag was put together. For me at least, I gain much more respect for the imagination, and creativity of how I was fooled into believing an illusion was real after I learn the secrets.

If they ever offered a behind the scenes look at Grandfather’s Mansion, I would be the first person in line! ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
Sign me up!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Although I am not endorsing anyone to give away any of the “secrets” at Silver Dollar City, I actually get more enjoyment out knowing how a certain gag works. For example, when I see a machine, or a piece of equipment, I always want to tear it apart to see how it functions.

Whether it is behind the curtains, or inside the magician’s box, or simply turning the lights on in a dark room, I am always fascinated to learn how a particular gag was put together. For me at least, I gain much more respect for the imagination, and creativity of how I was fooled into believing an illusion was real after I learn the secrets.

If they ever offered a behind the scenes look at Grandfather’s Mansion, I would be the first person in line! ;D

I have to agree.  I always find myself trying to figure out how such tricks or gags work when I'm looking at them....sometimes to the detriment of enjoying the trick or gag. :D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
This might have already been mentioned previously, but I must mention this again since it surprised me during my visit to Grandfather's Mansion this week. I know we all miss the old waterfall, and I know how much we all hated that giant, and very obtrusive rock out of front. However, the rock is gone! In its place is a very tastful bird bath, (or fountain). I was pleasantly delighted to see that.  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:54:03 PM by Ozark BBQ »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
hmmm ???  I will have to check that out this weekend.  I had not noticed that yet..

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:09 AM »
so...It has been a couple months since anyone has said anything about Grandfathers Mansion. Anyone got any new news about the place?
My family visited OTC the weekend after Thanksgiving. I took my 14 year old niece, along with a 5 year old and 3 year old through Grandfathers Mansion. The rest of the family went through Carries Candles; and a bah humbug to them!  ;D The 14 year old darted off through it, as I held the 3 year old & 5 year old by the hands. I yelled at my niece saying "Get back here, you are missing EVERYTHING!" I just wanted her to experience everything I did as a child; its no fun if u just run thought it. The 3 & 5 year old's loved it; & I was so glad!
One thing that disappointed me, was the room that rocks back and forth as you cross the bridge, was not working. I made everyone stop & wait to see if it would start or not, and it didn't. I hope that gets fixed. 
So anyway, that was my most recent experience through that wonderful SDC landmark.
You have a great past just ahead of you.