Author Topic: Suggestions for visiting Cedar Point  (Read 3036 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Suggestions for visiting Cedar Point
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:35:47 PM »
My two boys (18 & 11) and I are making our first trip to Cedar Point next week. Any suggestions on things I shouldn't miss...rides, food, shows, etc.?

Thanks!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for visiting Cedar Point
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
I went to Cedar Point three summers ago. Be prepared for lines! Since it is a park without many shows, the rides are all there is to do. Really fun park though. My favorite roller coaster was Maverick. Top Thrill Dragster is awesome also, it'll take your breath away! The problem with TTD is that it breaks down often. I think we stood in line for an hour and a half and it broke down twice during that time. Millennium Force is a really great coaster also. Classics like Gemini, Corkscrew, and Blue Streak are fun too, with shorter lines. They are also a lot rougher though. A ride which is really fun to ride at night if you can is the Power Tower. I say to ride at night because then you can see other coasters around the park lit up as well as the bay and Sandusky off in the distance.

My advice would be to get there early and stay late. We got to ride Maverick three times right before the park closed because lots of people had already left. There's also a pretty cool museum type attraction at the park. I can't find the name of it on their website. But it has some Cedar Point history in there. We went through there when the crowds picked up during midday. There is actually a lot of underrated history at Cedar Point because it is one of the oldest amusement parks. Lots of cool pictures and displays in the museum. We went to the waterpark also. It's not a must-do, unless you really love waterparks.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It is a neat park with lots of fun rides. A different experience than SDC because there is no overall theme, but you go there for what it is and not expect something different. Have a great trip!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
I also think Maverick is the best coaster there, followed by Top Thrill and Blue Streak.
It's been a while since my last visit, but I think mainly what you still want to do is get there before opening so you can head to the back of the park as soon as the gate drops. I assume everyone still heads to either the coasters at the front of the park or Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster first, so you can either go there first as well and try to do them before they get really swamped, or try to hit them up later after the initial wave dies down. Personally I would head to either Maverick or Magnum first.

A lot of the older coasters will keep pretty short lines (Corkscrew, Mean Streak, Blue Streak, Iron Dragon, Gemini), so you might try to do those inbetween the big newer ones. Don't forget to stop by Blue Streak - it's tucked away a bit, but it's a gem and one of my personal favorites. Also don't pass up the Cedar Downs carousel - it's way more than your typical carousel and is also a gem from the past.

Camarofan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:35 PM »
I'd just like to add that while Wicked Twister may seem like a standard shuttle type, it's always been one of my personal favorites. It being right on the beach adds to the experience. On that same note, the Windseeker is pretty bloody terrifying at night in the dark. Some pretty strong wind gusts come off the lake up there at night and can really give the swings a good shaking/rocking. It was one of the few times I've prayed for a ride to end swiftly ;). Finally, as far as terrible-for-you but kind of awesome junk food goes, the elephant ears are pretty solid. I know you can get them at the stands back by Maverick.

(Final Plug for Blue Streak-it really is a delightful classic)

puaa001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 04:43:51 AM »
Yes, don't miss rides, foods, shows.. ::)