Author Topic: Bill Dance gives a tour of new Memphis Pyramid Bas Pro  (Read 6214 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Bill Dance gives a tour of new Memphis Pyramid Bas Pro
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
Darth Chittlins sez : Impressive

https://vimeo.com/119460678

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Bill Dance gives a tour of new Memphis Pyramid Bas Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
So does Dance own a piece of Bass Pro?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »
Did you notice the clapboard at the beginning on the piece? The producer is STEVE HARGUS? He used to work at SDC. He was at the diving bell in 1981.Steve is one of Bass Pro Shops leading media guys now.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »
So does Dance own a piece of Bass Pro?

He and Morris are tight, so maybe. The story goes the two were cat fishing on the Miss and they were talking about the Pyramid where going back to the launch on Mud Island and how it was empty and Memphis was wondering what to do with it when the FedEx Forum opened up. Around this ti.e about the only other proposals were an indoor theme park which I've  posted pics of before and a mega church like what Osteen had done with the old Summit in Houston.

I still think it could have used a few rides that were animal themed like a dumbo ride with ducks of the fly way and an indoor coaster named cottonmouth or moccasin.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
Here's the thing about that location. It's got The Pinch District across the street from it. It's just begging for redevelopement. Mud Island is across the harbor, it too is ripe for reimagining (rides/water park). Memphis is flirting with the idea of a new convention center off Beale, that would leave Cook Convention center sitting there for a Crown Center like makeover. It sits right where two major interstates cross in I-55 and I-40 with I-69 running from Houston to Indianapolis on the way.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
That guy's enthusiasm for this is infectious! Looks amazing!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
The restaurant on top will open in a month but will be steam punk influenced

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
I had a chance to go see the new bass pro last weekend and let me tell you, it's amazing.  They did a fantastic job with the whole thing, well except for parking.  We had to park about 3/4 of a mile away and walk.  But it was well worth it.  The whole bottom level is like a gigantic pond.  They have employees teaching kids how to fly fish.  And they have a massive alligator gar swimming around too.  And some massive catfish.  The bowling alley inside is pretty awesome too.  My wife, kids, and I were thoroughly impressed.  Oh and the gators at the base of the elevator were quite s sight. The observation decks looked pretty sweet but it's $10 per person to ride the elevator up to the decks.  I have a few pictures I'll try to post soon.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »
Pictures??  Yes please.!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
I heard it is a real hum dinger! Can't wait for the pictures.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
Wife, Daughter and I at the top of the Memphis Pyramid Bass Pro. Standing on the glass observation deck. Awesome experience, well worth the $20. We were there last Saturday, gave up trying to find a place to park, and paid $10 for Valet. Also had lunch at the Restaurant, no fish in the aquarium yet, the food was overpriced for what it was. We had a great day, would recommend it to anyone, but be prepared to pay...for everything (as is Bass Pro/Big Cedar/Big Cypress)  ;)

You have a great past just ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Wife, Daughter and I at the top of the Memphis Pyramid Bass Pro. Standing on the glass observation deck. Awesome experience, well worth the $20. We were there last Saturday, gave up trying to find a place to park, and paid $10 for Valet. Also had lunch at the Restaurant, no fish in the aquarium yet, the food was overpriced for what it was. We had a great day, would recommend it to anyone, but be prepared to pay...for everything (as is Bass Pro/Big Cedar/Big Cypress)  

Still needed rides.

Anyhoo, the city is still working on plans for the Pinch District, which is the area between The Pyramid and St. Jude. Once the plan is in place, shopping, entertainment,  and dining along with parking and a land bridge should happen. The want lists are long in Memphis. They want a new convention center off Beale, which will leave Cook Convention Center (right there at the New Bridge) open for redevelopment.

Mud Island is on the list as well. It has oustanding features including a great amp and the scale model Riverwalk.along with the River Museum. All need some new investment to bring them back up to Gold Standard. The bones are good but it needs meat and as I've said before, something  KEMAHish needs to fill out the voids on the northern end. Sadly, the same dumbbutt mayor that sold off the rights to the Zippin Pippin also sold off a good chuck of city land on the north side of the bridge. It was developed  to apts. This was prime land for hotels and parking for an expanded Island >:(

Memphis is about to possibly recieved a major boost via an explosion in river cruising with Viking projecting docked two boats at a time (300 passenger ships) at Beale Street Landing with other companies adding three more paddlewheelers to the river. These boats typically stay docked overnight with many being the broading or departure point.

Those of you that travel through there prepare yourself for a.projected 9 month closure of the Old Bridge in 2017 as TDOT reconfigures I-55. As those familiar with this can see it'll be better flow for I-55 in the end along with new connectivity to the Spanish Fort region that's about to undergo major redevelopment
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:51:57 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »

Quote:
Bass Pro Shops at The Pyramid logged $44.6 million in sales in its first nine months and paid $875,621 in rent to the city of Memphis, city records show.

The store’s best month was June, when it bagged $7.1 million, and the slowest was November, $3.38 million, according to gross sales reports.

Bass Pro is required to file gross sales reports under a 55-year lease on the city-owned former sports and entertainment arena...

Bass Pro Shops opened the superstore and tourist attraction last April 29 with great fanfare. The opening capped a nearly decade long project that was aided by direct city expenditures of at least $105 million.

Bass Pro has periodically issued updates on store visitor numbers — it reached 2 million before Christmas — but hasn’t commented on sales.

I'd say Memphis is getting paid back with the sales tax revenue plus the rent payments.

They recently asked for proposals for Mud Island and Bass Pro seemed to indicate interest and then didn't present anything, just asked for blind faith. The other proposals were lackluster.

It pretty simple what should happen to it:

Allow the Memphis Zoo to develop an Aquarium there, incorporating the best parts of the River Museum
Add a Soarin'style ride that features a flight down the Mississippi.

On the north end of the Island, add some rides. A Star Flyer, an out and back coaster that does a semi circle of the area, 2 to 4 flat rides and an enclosed build to house a collection of kiddie rides with a small custom kiddie coaster that encircles all of it, make it two story wit a food court and games on second level. All sold by wristband or ticket system.

Update and repair riverwalk

Added seats, amenities  and roof to Amp, make the open air roof as to not effect the skyline view behind stage. Gives Memphis a " Sydney Opera" type of opportunity for a visual landmark. Explore more opportunities for southern end of Island. Possible small scale water park.

Explore the idea of a Euro style Christmas Market. Place a large tree in middle of the river walk gulf of Mexico.  Add a light show  choreographed to Memphis music and musicians to it. Set up booths, like 8x10 to rent out to sellers in the open space along and south of the gulf for the market and include a seasonal ice rink. Run the mark from early November to New Years Weekend.

Build foot bridge to Beale Street Landing for added connectivity.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:27:17 PM by chittlins »