Author Topic: Newbie to SDC Looking For Suggestions  (Read 3565 times)

AtomicTikiMom

• View Profile
Newbie to SDC Looking For Suggestions
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm planning our very first trip to Silver Dollar City this summer and I am in need of suggestions on places to stay and general experience info.
There are 3 people in our group, myself, my 30 year old daughter and my 2 year old grandson.
Are we crazy for considering going 4th of July weekend? Our trip dates are flexible between the end of June thru July 11.
Where would you recommend we stay? Is there an area near Branson that might be a little cheaper and little less crowded that we should consider?

Any help, opinions or suggestions you have would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Newbie to SDC Looking For Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
Believe it or not, the 4th of July is never very busy at the park.  I think a lot has to do with people wanting to throw their own parties and such.  I went this past season and it was walk ons for the most part.

As far as motels are concerned, a lot has to do with what all you plan on doing while you are in the area.  IF you are only planning on doing SDC, the Best Western that is located right outside the park (and features shuttle service) is a great place to stay.  It has a great hot breakfast in the morning and I found the beds very comfortable (we stayed there for ACE's Coaster Christmas this past season).

Hope you have a great time at our park!
SWOOSH

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »
If you are only going for the weekend, then yes, maybe.  ;D. I don't know though I"ve been there before on July 4th and didn't think it was that bad. The 4th wasn't on a Friday though like it is this year. As for places to stay, if you are talking hotel, see this thread:

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=2987.0

Sanddunerider does a great job of getting deals on motels for forum members. There are tons of hotels in Branson and chances are good someone on this forum has stayed in almost every one and can probably give you a recommendation if you have one in mind already.  If you are a camper, let me know and I can give you more guidance as that is how we usually travel. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Living close by I stay away on the holidays but I do know from experience that the weekend before the 4th is very manageable.

For lodging Classic is a motel that you will see thrown around on here. Depends on what you want to do besides SDC.  I know we like to shop at night a little or eat out after.  Its for this reason I like being on the edge of Branson closest to the city.  Staying on Shepherd of the Hills Expressway (Classic Motor inn location) you are provided with quick access to the park because you are located on the last light in Branson and the park is a right turn, I think this helps in the mornings to get you there quickly.  Also you are close to the night time activities.  If you dig in this forum you will find information on discounts on lodging at the Classic, it is a great balance between location and friendly prices.  You may want to look into a seasons pass if you are going to be there more than 2 days.  It gets you a discount on the Branson Bell if you are interested and you may pay less per person overall in tickets alone.  Go over to the seasons pass section of the SDC website and see if the seasons passes being sold at this time include free or discounted tickets for the time you are going to be there.  You will have a great time, if you ask a question on here you will get a response.  Don't be shy.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »
The Super 8 in Branson is real nice and very reasonable.  Great owners who enjoy there guests.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 08:25:12 PM »
With our group discount we always stay at Classic Motor Inn.  Hard to beat the 38.00 per night all year long...  (except car show weekend)

here is another thread with more info.....

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3121.0

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
If you are visiting and plan to spend more than a day you may want to utilize the after 3 PM option. If you arrive after 3 then the next day is free. That might be more beneficial than a season pass option. And you have plenty of time in those 2 days to do everything. SDC is a 1 day park for the most part.

Also and this is no guarantee but for the past few years the park has had a $ 30.00 Thursday promotion. You bought your ticket at a local supermarket and got a full day for only 30 bucks. There are no guarantees that they will do that this year though, Just something you might want to keep a eye out for. You cannot combine the $ 30.00 Thursday with the arrive after 3 PM though.

As for places to stay I am sure that the motel options above are great, but we like more room and hate to be confined to a small motel room when we go anywhere. VRBO and flipkey has several listings for private condo rentals in the area and most owners are not out of line with pricing. I have always been able to find a 1 bedroom with sleeper sofas for less than $ 75.00 per night  in the Branson area. Lots more room and since we are not big breakfast or lunch people the ability to keep bagels and light lunch snacks is a plus.

Hope you enjoy your trip. 

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
Hi,

Since your party has a 2-year-old, I thought I would throw out some things.

In the summer, sometimes it is challenging to keep young kids cool who are too short for the water rides.  They often have little water sprinklers set up around the park.  (The new kids' area is supposed to have the water jets in the ground, right?) I would consider bringing some water shoes as well as sneakers for a day at SDC.  Also, bring a change of clothes.  If he does play in the water to cool off, you will want some dry clothes.  Also, consider eating in a cool, air-conditioned place.  The building known as the carousel barn used to house children's activities in air conditioning, but I don't know if that is in the plans this summer.  They used to even have rocking chairs in there.  Also, we would often come at rope drop and leave for the afternoon when it got really hot.  Sometimes, we would get a cup of ice water (free) and fill up my daughter's sippy cup.  Then I would use the rest off the water to wipe down her face and arms, etc.

You can bring in toddler-friendly snacks and drinks in your bag.

You may want to consider a place to stay with an indoor pool if you have a little one.  If it should rain, you will have a place for your child to burn some energy.  Southern Oaks can give you a room with indoor corridors to the pool.  It's not a fancy place, but with young kids, it's something to consider.  The Best Western that Swoosh suggested also has an indoor pool, but I have never stayed there since it seems it is usually a little more than Southern Oaks.  I've also stayed at Angel Inn, and it has an indoor pool.  If you are not worried about an indoor pool, many places have outdoor pools.

If you are going to explore Branson, the fish hatchery is a hit with toddlers.  You can feed the fish, so bring a cup and some quarters.  We like to eat at the Branson Landing in the evening and walk the Landing after dinner.  Even if you don't go in the stores, it's a nice place to push the stroller along and see the water fountain show.  The Bass Pro has a large fish aquarium.  There is a play area near Joe's Crab Shack.

If you are considering a show, the Dixie Stampede is good with toddlers, although it is a little pricey.  My five-year-old has been twice, and she was completely mesmerized both times.  You probably would want to buy your grandson a seat, though, rather than trying to balance him on your lap while eating.  If you don't want to see the show, you can still visit the horses in their stalls before and between shows.

Over the fourth, at some point in the weekend, there will probably be fireworks at the Landing. Our favorite display, though, is the one over the lake near Chateau on the Lake.  You can usually stake out a decent place to watch.

I hope you have a great trip to Silver Dollar City!