Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180253 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
The uniform/costume thing is another rumor that's been around for ages and hasn't ever come true... yet. I think a more likely thing to happen is that the old costumes/uniforms will be slowly phased out over time so that eventually only a select few highly visible employees have to bother with it while the rank and file are in typical SDC uniforms. Most of the people who have to be doing rigorous things outside are already like that anyway (and that's pretty much always been the case). Since there are more ride attendants and less craftsmen every year, it's kind of just a pattern that will happen on it's own - I doubt there's much deliberate push behind it.

It was pretty interesting back when there was a real costume department and everyone was decked out in true authentic 1800's wear, but they had a lot less employees to deck out back then, and less of them having to run rides with heat issues and safety standards. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 06, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
It's posted on the Branson forum that the costume dept. is hiring to help with Fall and Christmas costumes.   

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2016, 02:29:18 PM »
It's posted on the Branson forum that the costume dept. is hiring to help with Fall and Christmas costumes.

Shhh.  Don't let facts get in the way of their pure hysteria. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #513 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »

Shhh.  Don't let facts get in the way of their pure hysteria.

Exactly.  As noted by some on that Facebook thread (and ignored by a few), they are NOT changing the costumes to polo shirts. Just another stupid rumor that isn't based on reality.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
I figured but you never know!! Because I do believe that current management is trying to get slightly more modern.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 06, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »
I figured but you never know!! Because I do believe that current management is trying to get slightly more modern.

And you're basing this assumption on what?
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 07, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
The new entrance sign and speculation the re-worked entrance may carry a similar theme. It's still a part of the park's image even though the sign is not inside the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 07, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
The new entrance sign and speculation the re-worked entrance may carry a similar theme. It's still a part of the park's image even though the sign is not inside the park.

So more assumptions and no hard evidence?  Got it. 
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 07, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
I really, REALLY don't think the 76/Indian Pt Rd signs are a harbinger for what's to come for SDC's re-done entrance. Those signs are there specifically to grab the attention of drivers, hence the white color scheme, the animated LCD screens, and the light-up logo. Back in 2005, the sign at that intersection was a simple dark wood sign with a 2D/simplified logo (you can see it in my previous post that has pics of the signs through the years) that was just black and orange with white around it; not exactly something to catch the eye.

The only rumor/speculation for the re-done entrance that I've seen hinted at something akin to Bass Pro, so kinda like the Ozark Marketplace on steroids. Maybe they're planning to enclose the front area in a building? I'm at least crossing my fingers that they'll be keeping the water clock; it's an icon!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #519 on: October 09, 2016, 01:11:59 AM »
^^ To be fair, we've always worked on assumptions around here. Everything's fair as long as you don't take it too seriously. I can understand the feeling that they will modernize the entrance when it comes time to do that. I think they'll do just fine, but it makes sense to be uneasy about such a big change. Like I said about the costumes, a lot of the changes in style are part of the inevitable march of time and different people with different perspectives. This park was built by people who were trying to relive what their grandparents told them about, and now it's being rebuilt (and visited) by people who only see the 1880's in the occasional movie and are more focused on the business of building up a competitive theme park.

I don't like some of the cleaner, more obviously faux details they have been employing around the parks in things like signage and other things, but try explaining the subtle differences to someone who's got to pump out 1,000 or more random signs a year for each park.

I think they've been doing really well with the recent architecture at SDC though. Everything built in the last decade looks great! Fireman's Landing has tons of detail and theming, not to mention the creative details spread throughout the area. Taking out the water clock is about the only thing that I'd be worried about with the new entrance.

In any case, it will be worth it to get a proper entrance that suits the park's needs. It's been a couple decades or more overdue now...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 09, 2016, 01:49:38 AM »
OH man, I was SO blown away seeing Fireman's Landing in person! I'd been wary of the theme, but the pics that people had posted made me okay with it. And now that I've experienced it in person, I'm in love!

As for the printed versus hand-done signage, it was interesting to note that the sign into the rocking room in Grandfather's Mansion was hand-done; you can even see the pencil marks used as guidelines to make the lettering straight.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #521 on: October 09, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
The new signage in the park at least replicates authentic appearances, and it will last longer than the old stuff.  Like you say, Sharpie-written signs on paper or computer printed signs tacked to the door are really unacceptable.  That's just lazy.  I would remind people that the past is ahead of you, not in the entrance from the parking lot or the entrance to the road to the parking lot.  If they wanted to light up the entrance and make it look like a time machine, for the sake of highlighting the fact that guests are entering the past, I'd be OK with that.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 09, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »
^^ To be fair, we've always worked on assumptions around here. Everything's fair as long as you don't take it too seriously. I can understand the feeling that they will modernize the entrance when it comes time to do that. I think they'll do just fine, but it makes sense to be uneasy about such a big change. Like I said about the costumes, a lot of the changes in style are part of the inevitable march of time and different people with different perspectives. This park was built by people who were trying to relive what their grandparents told them about, and now it's being rebuilt (and visited) by people who only see the 1880's in the occasional movie and are more focused on the business of building up a competitive theme park.

I don't like some of the cleaner, more obviously faux details they have been employing around the parks in things like signage and other things, but try explaining the subtle differences to someone who's got to pump out 1,000 or more random signs a year for each park.

I think they've been doing really well with the recent architecture at SDC though. Everything built in the last decade looks great! Fireman's Landing has tons of detail and theming, not to mention the creative details spread throughout the area. Taking out the water clock is about the only thing that I'd be worried about with the new entrance.

In any case, it will be worth it to get a proper entrance that suits the park's needs. It's been a couple decades or more overdue now...

I would agree that for the most part I have been happy with the additions over the past several years. I've been a big proponent saying that the management does the best they can with the 1880's theme in today's smartphone culture. I also realize the entrance does need to be renovated as will become more painfully obvious during the upcoming Christmas season. I just want it to stay true to SDC and not look too generic. I have confidence I will be happy with the finished product in the end.

Bottom line, speculation is what makes visiting this site fun, overreactions or not. 99% of us on this forum have no internal ties to the park and so it is fun to debate and dream over things. Not sure why speculation is a bad thing on a fan forum and not everything needs concrete facts.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #523 on: October 22, 2016, 02:39:21 AM »
I forgot to mention something from my recent trip to settle any remaining fears about TNT's demise in favor of the new coaster. When I rode it the other day they had installed all new lap bar restraints on the trains. Made the ride a tad more comfortable. They also stay up when you lift so getting in and out of the trains is not as awkward anymore.