Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 181658 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
Never tried fry bread before but I for sure will be this season!! Excited for a new addition!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mammalone

« Reply #361 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »
They're also replacing the barrel roll track sections on OR.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
So the word is that one of the old towers on FM has been removed. If anyone is going on opening day, I'd like to hear about how much has been removed on the inside. I wonder how much will disappear over the course of the next couple of seasons. Sucks that this strategy actually works. I'm sure we'll all be begging for it to be put out of it's misery in a couple years or so.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #363 on: March 02, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
This tower for sure was removed
SWOOSH

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 03, 2016, 05:18:44 AM »
That's too bad, but i understand why.  :( Just 1 of many iconic views of SDC.
Live life like it's the last day!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #365 on: March 03, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »
...and just so it's clear in this thread too, those of us who are unhappy about this aren't upset that the tower was removed (obviously it was necessary), but we are upset that it was allowed to fall into this state, and that it won't be replaced in favor of letting the ride take a long slow fade out of the park. Thematic pieces like these used to be the bread and butter of SDC, but if you are good at paying attention you'll notice they are disappearing in exponentially rapid fashion.

We used to have silly discussion over things like "purism" in regards to how we view the park over the little details like exposed cash registers and other supposedly "immersion-breaking" issues, but these days its all moot as the rides really have taken over everything. I like the rides, but I'm sad they're starting to completely give up on the mindset that made this park so great. I really like how they did Fireman's Landing, but if the little theming that area has simply falls apart and is quietly taken out in a few years then what makes it different than any other cookie cutter park at this point? It all comes down to a cheap mindset in how they want to run the park. All focus is on the current marketing gimmick.

/rant

On another note, I was told there was a bit of beautifying done to a steam near the lake. So at least there's that.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
well said Shave.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
New look at Brown's Candy Factory, posted by Brad Thomas to Twitter.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 04, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
It's becoming another six flags or worlds of fun and what's sad is it seems many people are ok with that.  Just make me go fast for 30 seconds after waiting in line for an hour on a new coaster I'll be sick of in two years and looking elsewhere...that's the mentality being embraced. Memories worth repeating are what built the park.
Yes it's still a great place and different but it's getting less and less unique every year. I can travel less than an hour if I wanna turn upside down at 60 mph at a glorified carnival.  I travel hours to sdc for other reasons.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
Well said Preachin_Bill and Shave
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 04, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
It's becoming another six flags or worlds of fun and what's sad is it seems many people are ok with that.  Just make me go fast for 30 seconds after waiting in line for an hour on a new coaster I'll be sick of in two years and looking elsewhere...that's the mentality being embraced. Memories worth repeating are what built the park.
Yes it's still a great place and different but it's getting less and less unique every year. I can travel less than an hour if I wanna turn upside down at 60 mph at a glorified carnival.  I travel hours to sdc for other reasons.

No. No it is not and I'll thank you to stop being so negative.  There's enough of that crap in tv right now that we don't need it here.  A lot of the changes being done at the park are thanks to ADA standards that they must follow.  Some buildings are still not up to code and well that's what we have here.  I don't know why this photo is causing such a stir.  Wait until you see what they've done in the old PowderKeg supply store.  If you want to get worked up, I'll support you on that one. 

Oh and if you care, they rebuilt the TNT arch. Looks pretty much like the old one, only it's new
SWOOSH

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 04, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
I believe Preachin Bill is making the same argument as I did earlier in another post that was shut down, and by all rights probably should have. ;D

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #372 on: March 04, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
Good to know they REPLACED the arch instead of removing it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #373 on: March 04, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
Hobo junction, the old antiques and mining equipment, the hillybilly stuff, and any number of other things that have disappeared from the park have nothing to do with ADA. There's nothing wrong with the occasional complaint about how the park has redirected itself. I've always tried to direct people to be reasonable and look for the positives, but sometimes you just need to bitch about some things. At this point I don't see anything wrong with the statement that the park is slowly turning into Six Flags Ozarka. In another decade there'll be much less of the original theming and a lot more roller coasters and rides.

I'll get over it, and I expect everyone else to as well, but in the mean time I'll gladly point out the things I wish they'd do instead of just ripping the old stuff out. I'll complain about the treatment of Flooded Mine long after it's finally been removed from the park because I'll always believe it's an iconic landmark on par with "it's a small world" at Disney. We've talked plenty about the things that have to change because of ADA and basic logistics, but a lot of the stuff I'm getting jaded over is simply them being cheap and lazy on upkeep and traditions. Sentimental value used to be one of this park's biggest assets.

Anyway though, I'm very happy to hear they rebuilt the TNT archway, and the new food stand looks good.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
Then let's have a dedicated thread to bitch about that stuff. It has nothing to do with 2016.  The photo that sparked the rant was completely ADA related. 

SWOOSH