Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180269 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Even though we are still on the heels of the Firemen's Landing announcement, I wanted to go ahead and open the floor to speculation about 2016 since I know we are all thinking about it.  ;)

My thoughts are that I don't really expect to see much, just based on how I see the chain working right now. Over the past decade SDC has often taken "off" years between major additions (OR, RiverBlast, TGS, etc.). I'm hoping as always they'll use this to strengthen other aspects of the park such as crafts, shopping, festivals and shows.

I think it's time to revitalize the show lineups again. The Christmas shows are still great, but what happened to other productions like "Into the West" or whatever it was called that were once such a big deal. When SDC puts on a good production, the lines stretch halfway across the park. Is it just too much to pay professional actors across multiple seasons? I feel like they're just focusing on cliche magic and trick shows because they think they're what's expected and are easier to sell.

A new ride in 2016 isn't outside the scope of possibility either. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them sneak in a thrilling flat ride such as the Frisbee that was once suggested for the Grand Expo.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
I'd still be thrilled if they brought like shows such as the Courthouse show, "Hoedown", and Timothy Turnbuckles Time Machine.  Those shows used a lot of the "street performers" from the City just like "The Pinkerton Man" does.  Come on, PTB, give these shows a chance!
I'm Your Huckleberry

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »
Now that you mention it, the 150th anniversary of the Civil War would have been the perfect time to bring back For the Glory. I didn't get to see it when I was working the NPS/Wilson's Creek information table at the park back in 2001, but I had to give TPB at that time major props for working with NPS and attempting to educate SDC visitors about area historic sites.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
Its funny you started this thread Shave... 
I don't see it now, but isn't this the last year for pinkerton man?
 I thought I saw advertising last year.. that 2014 would be the last of pinkerton man....

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Shave  is right about "Headin West".  Lines were agonizingly long for that show.  I do hope they bring it back sometime.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
Funny you say that they would take an "off year" -- the 2015 addition really is a low cap year.  Most of the rides are transplants that the company already had.  The overall price tag for FL is really not that much.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
All cookie cutter shows and typical amusement park entertainers need to stay in the amusement parks.  SDC is a theme park, set apart from all others, and needs to have enough pride in itself to keep offering its quality, one-of-a-kind shows.  We've lost the shows in the Courthouse/Riverfront Playhouse, and now we seem to have lost the Opera House shows.  I know the Globetrotters aren't anywhere else, but other than their red, white, and blue uniforms, this is the wrong venue.  I'm not saying I won't go see them, but it will be an interruption to our SDC experience.  The Pinkerton show is in its last year, as well, so I guess they are banking on the GTs bringing in enough of a crowd - another example of the wallet leading the way instead of the heart.  Harlem visiting the Ozarks is kind of like when they went to Gilligan's Island; it just sounds silly.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
^Agreed, Buff. I think 2016 should be a year of improving what is already at the park. Put in some great shows at the various venues around the park and revamp the American Plunge!!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
I split the "classics" discussion off from this thread so we can focus on actual predictions and speculation in this one.

That said, I still think it's worth speculating that AP will be rebuilt/replaced/removed soon. I think it's a possibility for 2016, but not necessarily the strongest one. I expect it will be done by 2020 though. Between the low capacity, insurance issues, and the fact that most of the special aspects of it have already been removed, you know they've already got a plan in place for it.

Until I see further evidence though, I really don't want to get too excited for 2016 yet. It's certainly up for debate, but I still consider $8 million to be a fairly large expenditure for them, and with all the other spending going on in the chain, I'm just not sure how much capital they really want to spend immediately. There's lots of rumbling about HFEC picking up Darien Lake and even BGW...

Hollwood

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
You have to consider the fact that the $8 million price tag is a value of the area. There is NO way this area is costing $8 million. 4 of the rides are already paid for, two of them were already on property. Is almost like antique roadshow "this area is valued at $8 million, but in reality if you take it to a pawn shop, they will give you $2.5 million. It's a low capital year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
Honestly, $8 Million is nothing for an addition.  The park spends that and more every year on upkeep and entertainment.
SWOOSH

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
Since Herschend bought the Harlem Globetrotters the may be a mainstay now.

All cookie cutter shows and typical amusement park entertainers need to stay in the amusement parks.  SDC is a theme park, set apart from all others, and needs to have enough pride in itself to keep offering its quality, one-of-a-kind shows.  We've lost the shows in the Courthouse/Riverfront Playhouse, and now we seem to have lost the Opera House shows.  I know the Globetrotters aren't anywhere else, but other than their red, white, and blue uniforms, this is the wrong venue.  I'm not saying I won't go see them, but it will be an interruption to our SDC experience.  The Pinkerton show is in its last year, as well, so I guess they are banking on the GTs bringing in enough of a crowd - another example of the wallet leading the way instead of the heart.  Harlem visiting the Ozarks is kind of like when they went to Gilligan's Island; it just sounds silly.
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
Efteling just released the concept artwork on their new B&M dive machine. This is exactly how I want SDC's next major coaster to look.

http://www.efteling.com/nieuwin2015

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »
Efteling just released the concept artwork on their new B&M dive machine. This is exactly how I want SDC's next major coaster to look.

http://www.efteling.com/nieuwin2015

I can certainly see this at SDC. Dive coaster is a two in one, it's  a drop tower and coaster. I'll limely neve ride it because B&Ms restraints  and I don't  get along in the upper chest area.  SDC is three coadters away from having an elite lineup where not one coaster sucks.

mammalone

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
How do plans at Dollywood for 2016 affect plans for SDC? Does HFE alternate years for big projects at the two parks? Just wondering as I saw this quote from Craig Ross at Dollywood. He said their 2016 attraction will be “one of the biggest single attraction additions in our 30-year history..."