Author Topic: Touring Plan Suggestions?  (Read 6439 times)

Goatdan

• View Profile
Touring Plan Suggestions?
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »
I'm new here, never been to sdc yet but heading there this weekend. Looking for tips how to go through the park, hoping to hit the cave and the major rides.... Any suggestions where to start? Thanks!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Touring Plan Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
Get there before opening.

If you are a rider, go straight to the back end of the park to ride Outlaw Run and the Giant Swing.

At some point, and stop to appreciate the history behind the ride first, then ride Fire in the Hole.

Powder Keg and the Lost River usually have the longest wait times.

Always keep in mind that if you are going uphill, you are headed to the exit.  Downhill will always lead to the deeper areas.

Get a bowl of Family Feud to share for two people to eat.

Ice water is free when you ask for it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
The park opens it's main square area inside the park about an hour early so that guests can come in and eat breakfast. They also have bands playing and an opening ceremony, and it is a tremendous way to start the day. Plus you can hit up the major rides with no lines to speak of for the first 30 mins or so of park operation. On the flip side, if you try to get there right at opening, you might get caught up in the parking crawl and crowd crunch depending on how busy it is.

The general advice is to hit up Outlaw Run first, and probably Powderkeg second. Those rides have the longest waits in the park, everything else will likely be walk ons except for the water rides. The length of wait for the water rides is variable, but they can easily become the most crowded rides during the summer so you may want to hit those up early as well.

Pick a cave tour time from the park's guide and get there 20 or so minutes early at least. I also suggest you hit up the Silver Dollar Saloon show and ride the train.

Make sure and stop in to check out the craftsmen as you rove around the park. They are some pretty awesome people and can be really interesting. Watching them is a great way to spend the peak hours of the day when everything else is packed.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Go to their website and take a look at their map.  Get a feel for how the park is laid out so you'll know where the things are that you want to see.  My brother's family always hits the main coasters first to get them out of the way before the lines formed.  Plan a cave tour for the hottest part of the day.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
Start the day off early by having a sit down breakfast before the park opens.

Goatdan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:52 AM »
Great tips everyone! We'll make sure to be there early.

I've heard both here and from some Web searches that Powderkeg always has the biggest line. Would it make more sense to start there instead of Outlaw Run?

Are there limits to how many people per cave tour?

What are the can't miss non-coaster attractions? I, and I think the others in my group would agree, don't need to ride log rides just to get wet, but would definitely ride log rides if there is awesome theming for it.

Finally, we will be there early but we won't be getting breakfast there (free breakfast at the hotel)is there any can't miss place or food item? I already noted the family feud.

Thanks again, I've been lucky enough to go to probably 50 different theme parks so far in my life (thanks, last job!) and I can honestly say SDC is the park that I haven't been to yet that I most want to visit. Can't wait to get there!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:53:22 AM »
Sadly, the American Plunge lacks the theming that it used to have.

My suggestion, honestly, is to just play things by ear.  Read the signs, look for history, and enjoy the general atmosphere.  Don't overplan.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:07 AM »
You really can't go wrong with the skillets or bowls, I am a fan of the calico potatoes . I have to hit flooded mine, and wildfire when there, the demonstrating craftsman- the candy factory and the blacksmith, the potters, the glassblowers  , the knife maker are entertaining and educational. Ride the train for a nice scenic break.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »
as for the cave, let everyone else go first, that way you can enjoy the sites at a slow pace. but, if ya want information on the cave & SDC's history, better be in front, sometimes it can be interesting. i think they take 30 - 40 people thru the cave at a time, not sure. anyone have the exact amount? 

if ya go have breakfast, ask for a "special table"....
Live life like it's the last day!

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »
My favorite place to eat is the rib house near the lost river. Its great food and you can watch as the boats go by. Make sure to get some taffy. If you get 5 to 10 pieces per person you will get a variety of what they have without breaking the bank. Definitely get a piece of the lemonade taffy. Its exclusive to this year.
I've not tried this yet but I will when I'm down on saturday. See if they will let you know when tony is giving a cave tour. If they let you know go on his. You will love every step!
Also make sure to hit up a taffy making demo. Its cool to see and you get a nice big free piece of freshly made taffy.
The kettle corn is very good. and will last you all day if you get it early. Don't feel you have to ride everything. Enjoy the park and the shops and sit on a bench now and then.
For dessert the thing you don't want to miss is the red velvet funnel cake. I will most assuredly be getting one of these on saturday!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
I've heard both here and from some Web searches that Powderkeg always has the biggest line. Would it make more sense to start there instead of Outlaw Run?

Since the opening of Outlaw Run, it typically has the bigger line now. PK is more family friendly though and has lasting popularity, so it will have lines too. You'll want to hit both early, but I suggest OR first.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
Like others I would be at the rope when it drops and head straight for outlaw run. I would also suggest downloading the SDC app if you have a smartphone. Not all the attractions are covered but it will give you wait times for some of the major ones. Make sure you check it before venturing over to Powder Keg since it has a lot of downtime. It will save you several steps if they are having issues.

Also, good call on the breakfast. My family gets by on a bagel and coffee. The buffets there are just OK with heavy comfort food. Some of the fun of SDC is grazing your way around the park. Most of the skillets are great and filling. It is just hard to pick one over the other. I tend to favor the Calico Potatoes.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Be sure to make time to visit some of the classics:
Fire in the Hole
Flooded Mine
Grandfathers Mansion
Thunderation

If I had to choose only 1 water ride I would choose:
Lost River of the Ozarks
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
You need to get cinnamon bread from Sullivan's Mill.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
Echoing what History Buff said: going uphill takes to towards the entrance/exit, downhill is deeper into the park.  A good thing to keep in mind should you ever get lost/mixed up. 
** Related to the hills:  If you plan on making a circuit around the park I suggest going clock-wise.  Upon entrance I head left and go down Hill Street (affectionately called Cardiac Hill by many around here).  This hill is much steeper than the hill you'll take on the right side of the park.

My favorite craftsman to watch is the glassblowers. I also enjoy the candy store next-door (fingers crossed you come by while they're doing a demonstration!).

Grandfather's Mansion is a hidden gem of an attraction (IMO).  It's sort of a fun house, located on a quiet street just behind the General Store buildings on Main Street.  Also, check out the jail located in this area--nice photo opportunity. 
My family still makes an effort to ride the Train every time we go.  Rides depart every 20-30 usually, just go by the depot and check out the departure times.

For water rides Lost River is still my favorite, and I highly suggest it.  But in the chance that the line is longer than you'd like to wait but you still really want to get wet, you might want to check out River Blast.  It seems to have shorter lines, and you are guaranteed to get soaked.

To be honest, all of the food on park is good.  It's not 5 star, but it's good. We all seem to have different favorites among the skillet meals: mine is the Sausage Medley at the Lumbercamp Falls Skillet.  For sit-down we usually do the Riverside Ribhouse.

And this can't be stressed enough: Ice Water is Free.  It's going to be hot this weekend, make sure to drink up!  If you're planning on getting many sodas or specialty drinks you might consider getting a refillable mug.  Frozen lemonade is one of my favorite (but there are two kinds in the park--you want the ones that say "Silver Dollar City original" or something like that, not the "Minute Made")
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"