Author Topic: Thank God for Silver Dollar City  (Read 6036 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Thank God for Silver Dollar City
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
I've been going to SDC for over twenty years, and yesterday I had an experience that was similar than those before, but it was also very unique.  I haven't felt this strongly about it in a long time.  I had to say it somewhere, so I came here because I know you'll understand.
Thank God this place exists.  Seriously.  Yesterday in the park I had to just stop myself and think about how wonderful a place this really is.  It's unlike anywhere else in the world, at least the world I come in contact with and hear about in the news every day.  We still have a place where God is naturally celebrated, unapologetically worshiped, out there in the open air public for all to see.  There is still a place where people care about family values.  As one mother said, our family is just "better" when we come to SDC.  The best part about it is, amongst all the lights, smiling employees, shows, preachin'...it's all REAL.  It's not fabricated, faked, or awkwardly created.  This park is what it is, and it doesn't give a damn what the politically correct might think.

To me, that's refreshing.
So let's all take a moment to stop worrying about the new rides, the banter about the pros and cons about the food, the types of passes and the weather, and reflect on the magical place we have found here and thank God it still exists.

I'll give a full review at a later date.  Thanks for reading my little rant.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God for Silver Dollar City
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
Amen!  Couldn't have said it better myself
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
Agreed.....   :)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
Preachin_Bill, you nailed it!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
Great post Preachin_Bill!!
Live life like it's the last day!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalute! ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
Thank goodness...a Website and thread where other people think like me...I'm not alone in the world! ;D Seriously, this is a fun Website and it is refreshing to see the overall positive attitude and spirit here. I have looked at some other forums on other Branson related sites where everyone seems to be a smarty pants with their own bummer attitudes on every topic, no matter what it is.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Thank goodness...a Website and thread where other people think like me...I'm not alone in the world! ;D Seriously, this is a fun Website and it is refreshing to see the overall positive attitude and spirit here. I have looked at some other forums on other Branson related sites where everyone seems to be a smarty pants with their own bummer attitudes on every topic, no matter what it is.

You are absolutely right!  That's why I dropped another Branson forum and stick with this one.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »
A great place at Christmas time.  My wife left her cell phone next to the Taffy house at the end of the day.  The Taffy house employee called and waited for me to return to the park.  Great honest employees.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
I agree whole-heartedly.

I think that one thing that makes this forum different from others is that, for most of us, when we criticize SDC we are doing it because we really care about the park, not just to complain.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
very well said.  Preachin Bill.  I also agree with your views on our little rants. To add to that. We not only care about the park, we also know that it is the overall attitudes at the park, that gives the park its value. When times change, and things "upgrade", attitudes have a tendency to downgrade, and overall value also tends to downgrade.

This forum is matchless in every way. I literally have been banned from forums for the mere mention of God. We are pretty much free to speak what we feel here (including God). It also proves to be a "generally" more uplifting forum.  I mean we try not to "Preach the Gospel" here, but the mention does not usually adversely affect anyone.

As far as SDC is concerned (or the Branson area in general). It will likely never be duplicated. Never at anyplace, will you find a whole community of such friendly, honost people. Especially but not limited to workers. Even the tourists are extremely friendly. Ever notice how much more at rest/peace and friendlier you are when in the Branson area?  I know I sure am.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

If it's the same "1" that I'm thinking of, I know exactly what you mean. And from what I've seen is mostly locals that seem to be getting their noses out of joint all the time.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
Yup.  :'(
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »
Dang it Bill!  You went and made me homesick for SDC!  :'( Haven't been there since about this time in 2010, and the withdrawal is killing me.  Glad you got an opportunity to experience it and that you took the time to share!
In His grip!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Oh man, I miss SDC so much!!! I totally agree with everything said. I've been watching shows about Disney World today on TV and while I do think that place is magical and very special with a history, it lacks a CHARM, and an AUTHENTICITY, that we've all been spoiled with at SDC.

Long live the core values that got the company to where it is today.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."