Author Topic: In Memorium  (Read 9444 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
In Memorium
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »
Not to be a downer, but as a tribute to some of those "characters" who are no longer with us, I thought this topic would have a place in our forum.

Tony McCarty:  indeed a "fixture" outside the saloon for many years and one of my best friends.  We used go fishing together quite a bit, or water skiing, and once we took a seven day trip up to Wyoming and Colorado for some fishing and sightseeing.   Tragically, he was killed in a car accident a number of years ago.  We were at the Saloon, preparing for the day's work when someone from management came down and delivered the news to us.  Probably my worst day ever at Silver Dollar City.  We canceled the first couple of shows and then, as he would have wanted us to, continued on with the day.  I still miss him.

Perhaps some of you will have something to add about other people.  Obviously Shad belongs here, but I also remember a very elderly man who always cleaned the restrooms and Stacy, the guitarist for the Time Machine Band for several years.  This, too, is a part of SDC history and memories.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:21:20 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: In Memorium
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:20:20 PM »
Although not a fixture at the City, Lester Vining passed not too many years ago.  Being that he was integral to the City becoming what it was today, he should be mentioned.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
Don Richardson, The man who named SDC, even though he on more than one occation got publicity for publicly embarrassing me, was a remarkable man whom I respected. To my knowledge he was the only person honored to be allowed to have his ashes scattered at the city.

Grandpa Vern at McHaffies also tipified SDC' s true soul. I hear him in my head often and find comfort in his memory. http://www.angelfire.com/mo/oleblue/images/GrandpaVern.jpg

Marshal Norm, town marshal through much of the 70's, Was the kindest man I have known who greated each child he deputised with love and dignity as if they were his own. He not only looked the part, but lived that honor every day.  top photo at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/2539279768/in/pool-silverdollarcity   

I once went to a confrance with Shad, Don Richardson, And several other "Old timers", all of whom have now past. It is odd to think that I alone am left from that trip, and what a privledge it was to have shared their table. They are all the spirit of SDC.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:14:04 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
Here is what a Google search brought up on Shad Heller:

http://www.projecttaney.org/50083/heller.html

I never had the joy of knowing him but I've heard and read he is a great guy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:33:20 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
Bud Short, a fixture with the Horsecreek Band for years.

Ken Holt, used to man the train depot, full of vim and vigor, always ready to give someone a hard time.

Big Al (last name ?), used to man one of the dippin dots stands and then was at the railroad crossing for years.

Shorty Small, an M&C employee and train engineer who single-handedly kept the train running for years.

Marvin Theime was Pa McCoy on the streets for many years in the 70's, the Colonel in the Melvin the Chicken Thief show, and then at the Fiberglass shop in M&C for a long time.

Of course, Hugo and Mary Herschend have to be remembered, for without them, there would be no Silver Dollar City.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:19:56 PM »
Bud Short and Big Al?!  No way! 

:-[
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »
We used to tip off tourists to go up to Ken Holt at the depot window and pretend to be Old friends and call him by name. We knew Ken would never let on he didn't know them and it would drive him nuts all day. "20 min tell the train folks...take a boat ride" He will always live in my memory.

We all remember Shad, but let us not forget Molly, the other half of a great team.

Howard Praiter(sp?), another deputy in the 80's was loud and funny, a great cartoonest, and would do anything for you. He spent a lifetime dealing with leukemia and hoped to write a cartoon book to help kids cope with the disease. He can be seen in the second SDC video.

And finally for me, "Captin Chuck" the Scrimshander at both the old (by the Woodcarvers )and new (on Lake Silver) Scrimshaw Shop. He even got his own postcard one year. He was an Artist, Humorist, and a Gentle Soul, whom I miss most of all. My Father.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:42:58 PM by Old Guy »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »
Ah yes, Captain Chuck.  A wonderful man.  He was a lot of fun, Old Guy.  I miss him too.  How's your mother?  If you look closely, you can see her name on the list of new inductees into Profit Sharing in that 1982 PS program photo I posted in the photo request thread.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »
Cliff Wagner.  Great Entertainer, Wonderful Person.  Long time SDC, long time Presley's.  I had the honor of singing with him many times.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »
Cliff has past? This is shocking news.  I just spoke to my mother today She is well, thank you for asking. She is in Springfield but no longer drives so has not been to the city in years, but does talk to Jack or Pete on occasion.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
Yes, back in February of 2004.  Here is a link to forum memorial which was started at the time. 

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=276.0;num_replies=9

BTW, if you haven't discovered this forum yet, it's another good way to keep up on what's happening in Branson.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:57 AM »
Could you do that again? That is a link to this forum.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »
Sure enough.  Sorry about that.

http://www.1branson.com/forum/t8246.html

I don't think it's evident from the talk in this forum, but it is believed he had a massive heart attack while driving his car.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:08:04 PM by Zephon »

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »

And finally for me, "Captin Chuck" the Scrimshander at both the old (by the Woodcarvers )and new (on Lake Silver) Scrimshaw Shop. He even got his own postcard one year. He was an Artist, Humorist, and a Gentle Soul, whom I miss most of all. My Father.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29018090@N02 and here
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/dukefan1_2008/sdcm83a002b.jpg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:35:08 PM by Old Guy »

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
^I love the fact that they took the entire middle fold to highlight a few of the SDC citizens you'd meet at the park.  It's nice that they still highlight the Demonstrating Craftsmen on their website.