Author Topic: Thunderation question  (Read 5914 times)

LadyDrifter

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Thunderation question
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
I was just curious why they took out the backwards seats.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderation question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:15:08 PM »
I was just curious why they took out the backwards seats.

Supposedly insurance reasons. Sounds hokey given that so many places are running things backward as an off new attraction year marketing ploy. Only thing that makes sense of the move is that the trains are too simplistic and deemed not secure enough.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:17:33 PM by chittlins »

Hollwood

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
I was under the impression that it was so they could run 2 trains during OTC. Running them backwards caused more maintenance, now they can tear apart both trains during the off season and compleat them before spring.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
I was under the impression that it was so they could run 2 trains during OTC. Running them backwards caused more maintenance, now they can tear apart both trains during the off season and compleat them before spring.

The design of the train is fairly straight forward and nothing too intricate about them. A platform with wheels, with the same couplings on each end. I'm stumped how it increased maintenance  The only way one could tell which way the car faced is to look at the seat orientation.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »
I agree with chittlines. I am by no means a ThuNderaTion mechanic, but both ends of the car appear to be mechanically identical. I believe riding backwards was a way for Silver Dollar City to reinvigorate excitement for ThuNderaTion after it had been operational for several years. Now that Silver Dollar City has Wildfire, PowderKeg, and Outlaw Run, the backwards seat gimmick may not be necessary anymore.

Purely speculation! :)

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:18:46 AM »
Im not sure about maintenance. I wouldnt think the directions of these cars would matter about maintenance. 

Insurance, well maybe, actually likely.  As mentioned these cars are fairly straight forward, (including the restraints).  I cant really imagine the cars being anymore "unsafe" just because the seats are facing backwards. However, insurance companies "might" think differently.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
I Miss The Backwards Rides!  :(
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

sdcDave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
Did anyone else find riding backwards to be uncomfortable?  It kind of hurt my back the last time I remember riding it that way. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
Did anyone else find riding backwards to be uncomfortable?  It kind of hurt my back the last time I remember riding it that way. 

The only reason I can see this is because of G forces. riding backwards pulls you away from the back of the seat creating a gap and letting you jar back into into it. I'm sure the hill allowed you to slide away from the back of the seat and this may make people uncomfortable.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
I wish it still went backwards...
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »
I wish it still went backwards...

I think everyone would get their backward fix with a coaster like this GCI wooden shuttle concept but a bit more customized with a few more bunnyhop hills

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »

Yes, my husband and I always felt bad after riding backwards. Could ride TNT repeatedly facing forward with no ill effects but one ride backward and we were done with TNT for the day.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
I think it was a bit more physically demanding riding it backward. I was in my early 20s the last time I rode it backward, and as I age, I notice that G-forces affect me differently. I'll be 39 in 25 days, so I'm feeling it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
My father rode it backwards once, and he said "never again!" Riding backwards just messed with his senses. I sort of agree. I like to see where I am going, not where I have been. However, I can definitely see the appeal of riding backwards.