Author Topic: VERRUCKT - Schlitterbahn Kansas City 2013  (Read 32019 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: VERRUCKT - Schlitterbahn Kansas City 2013
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
From other videos I have seen it looks like they have really taken steps to slow it down while climbing second hill.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
They leveled the grade toward the bottom of the drop, and it looks like they added a braking pad to slow the raft.  They've also enclosed the whole thing with a net.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:08 AM »
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/schlitterbahn/

You can see photos before it was modified and how it looks now
SWOOSH

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
NBC news ran a story on this waterslide tonight. Good story. I've decided it is too much for me!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
No thanks ... The high slide at white water was enough for me!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
Hope to ride it in early August when I am in KC.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
I still remember what the Shlitterbahn park in KC was to be before the 08 collapse. I just looked ar the r3nderings for the indoor Riverwalk  again and when you look at the park on Google Earth you can still see how that whole thing could still happen........one day.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:24:11 PM by chittlins »

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
Had coverage this morning on the Today show. Jill Martin, one of the Today show contributors, rode it with 2 Schlitterbahn employees. They wore heart monitors during the ride.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
looks like it's been neutered into pretty much a log Flume. He may have been able to have just bought HolidayWorld's closed Pilgrims Plunge used and relocate it for the time and money that's been put into this.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:12 AM »
Travel channel did an hour on the building of this ride the same night OR was on. With the original  construction , the rafts with 700 pound sandbags would fly over the second hill and crash, killing all sandbags on-board.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »
"Neutered  in pretty much a log flume"
Oh that's rich. Yeah, not exactly.

The boats are the same. I love how higher back rests and friction mats equal log flume. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
"Neutered  in pretty much a log flume"
Oh that's rich. Yeah, not exactly.

The boats are the same. I love how higher back rests and friction mats equal log flume.  

I'll.ride it just the same. I ain't afraid of anything considering Dad did stalls in the airplane with me as a kid for fun to the horror of my Mom.

But, it's not like the Shlitterbahn folks are not buying used dry park splash based rides  to install, they are.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:36:36 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Well... One Day may not be far off.

The original Shlitterbahn proposal never happened with the STAR Bonds but they did build a park and have slowly been adding to it and it's a nice park but short on shade. I was at the Galveston park on Tuesday and it has tons of shade even the lockers are under roof with those giant ceiling fans Anywho, they are once again pushing for a STAR Bond issue for the KC Park. Details are a bit lacking but it look like we'll know more by the end of August. I'm a bit miffed on the what sounds like a car dealership portion and trying to understand how that fits but KC possibly becoming home to the US National Soccer Teams is interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2014/07/25/developers-create-village-east-295m-star-bonds.html

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
Just got back from Shlitterbahn and boy what a disappointment. This was our first trip and probably the only one ever. Got there at park opening and 15 minutes before the line to get in was all the way back to the parking lot. We made our way to Verrückt to get our ride reservation time and by the time we got there 10:20 the reservations for the day were already up till 7 P.M. They closed the line for reservations about 10 people behind me. We could not stay that long so I got in the standby line as a single rider and by 11:00 they had not taken 1 person up the tower. I left disapointed but the attendant said the standby was 2 hours long and that was not even counting the reservations they could not do due to the downtime. Went to some other slides and finally saw it running. When it ran I timed it 7 minutes 20 seconds between boats. Looked like they were operating with 2 boats only. 1 loading and another being hauled to the top. Watching the thing I am glad I did not waste my time in line. I think it is a far cry from what they envisioned.

As for the rest of the park the only highlight is the River system. The other slides are slow and lame and even Whitewater has it beat. That is saying a lot. All in all a waste of $150.00 for the 4 of us. To few attractions and when you get on them they are slow and hardly get you wet. Worst water park I have ever been to.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »
You must have hit a bad day.  We enjoyed our day there, last year, and found Schlitterbahn to be very unique among waterparks.  The greatest improvement that's needed is shade, shade, and more shade.  Sitting on the Kansas prairie, you would have thought someone would have done something about that.  The other thing might be to put a maximum capacity on admission.  Waiting in some of the lines can be a real pain.

This waterpark feels different than others.  More of a swimmin' hole atmosphere.  Less sterile.  More homemade.  Less plastic.  It just has a different personality.

Granted, Verruckt has been a fiasco since conception.  I wouldn't even want to get on the thing.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating