Author Topic: Roger B. Taney  (Read 3767 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Roger B. Taney
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
I was doing some reading on the Dred Scott case today.  Roger B. Taney was the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court when the Dred Scott case was adjudicated.  He wrote the majority opinion which declared that slaves were personal property and did not have the right to sue in federal court.  The decision also stated that the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional.  I also discovered that Taney County (Branson) was named after this Roger B. Taney (and hence lake Taneycomo).  It should be noted that the county was organized in 1837. Taney had been the Chief Justice for about a year.  The infamous Dred Scott decision would not be handed down until 1857, twenty years later.  I thought this was an intriguing bit of Ozark trivia.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Roger B. Taney
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
Like.  :)
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:40 AM »
Thanks, Parson!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
As you mentioned, Lake Taneycomo is named after Taney (Co)unty Missouri (Mo). They were going to going to build one in Perry County and name it Lake Perrycomo but decided against it.

**rimshot**

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »
As you mentioned, Lake Taneycomo is named after Taney (Co)unty Missouri (Mo). They were going to going to build one in Perry County and name it Lake Perrycomo but decided against it.

**rimshot**

;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
Pudgy,

Not sure the young'uns on here are gonna get that one...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
Dunno if at almost 28 that I'm considered a "young'un" anymore, but I got it! Almost scared my roommate, I laughed so hard!