Author Topic: Tanglewood Chapel  (Read 4096 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Tanglewood Chapel
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
I've touched on this "lost" Branson attraction before, but decided to start a separate thread about Tanglewood Chapel. So here it goes...
-
Tanglewood Chapel and gift shop, located on Fall Creek Road, was founded in 1981 by Lloyd and Louise Durre. Lloyd is best known as playing the Old Shepherd in the play from 1962-1989. The hewn log chapel and separate hewn log gift shop were made from century old logs and built on several acres of heavily wooded property. The Durre's also cut hiking trails throughout their property and encouraged visitors to walk the trails, then go into the chapel for meditation. Lloyd was a talented artist, a teacher in the Branson schools (I missed having him as my art teacher in high school by one year...he retired!) as an actor in the Shepherd of the Hills play, and as a lay minister. I assume the Tanglewood Chapel and the nature trails were a complement to his lay minister activities. He painted a dozen portraits about the life of Christ which decorated the chapel. Louise ran the gift shop, the operation that kept the doors open and the trails cleared. She sold quilts and other handmade arts and craft items made in the Ozarks. as the decade of the 80's closed and moved on into the 1990's, the Durre's health faded, and Louise passed away first. Lloyd followed a few years later. They both were cremated, and their ashes scattered at Tanglewood Chapel. The log buildings were leased as small shops on and off for a few years, but eventually, the buildings fell into some disrepair, and business after business moved in and out of the buildings, until finally they sat for years locked up and empty. The majority of the acres were sold off, and the one acre that the two log buildings sit on is grown over in heavy brush. The Durre's had three kids, all adults now, and they donated the dozen paintings their father did to Friendly Baptist Church in Branson, where, I assume, they are on display. The paintings were valued by an art appraiser last year at about $12,000. (By the way, the music director at the church is none other than Bob Mabe, former owner of Bob O Links Country Hoedown, and an original founding member of the Baldknobber's Hillbilly Jamboree!)

Hope you enjoyed a brief history of this unique "lost" Branson attraction. Anyone have memories of Tanglewood? Anyone visit this place or walk the trails? If you have photos, please post!  -JUNIOR  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Tanglewood Chapel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
Here is a plaque dedicated to Lloyd Durre on Davidson's Jewelry in Downtown Branson

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMERDE_Lloyd_Durre_Branson_MO

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »
I have a postcard filed in my SOTH items of Lloyd Durre as the Shepherd.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:44 AM »
Wow, thanks Rube! You can also find an obituary for Lloyd Durre at Find a Grave.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:31:21 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention above, but Lloyd Durre also was an author. He wrote two books that I am aware of, the best known is "The Clinch Hollow Story." You can find his books on ebay from time to time. He sold over 45,000 copies of "Clinch Hollow," as the book, featuring his face on the front in a very "Old Shepherd" pose, was sold at many gift shops around the area, including Shepherd of the Hills Homestead. Lloyd's wife, Louise also sold her husband's artwork in the gift shop at Tanglewood.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »
I do have a copy of that (go figure....Rube has something from Branson!) it is signed by Lloyd as well.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »
I recently found an ad for Tanglewood Chapel in an old back issue of the Ozarks Mountaineer. Tanglewood was known as "The Little Sistine Chapel of the Ozarks" because it was decorated with 12 almost life sized paintings by Lloyd Durre that depicted the life of Christ. The paintings were donated by the Durre children to Friendly Baptist Church in Branson. Take a look at the old ad for Tanglewood:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan