Author Topic: Christmas Lights--Incandescent vs. LED  (Read 2209 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Christmas Lights--Incandescent vs. LED
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
I love decorating our yard for Christmas.  I'm beginning to switch over to LED's.  Though they are more expensive to buy, they are much cheaper to run and easier to maintain.  But they tend to be very garish.  They don't have the warmth that the incandescent lights have. Has anyone out there in SDCFans-land experimented with LED's very much?  Can anyone recommend some brands of LED lights that are a little warmer (and where you bought them)?  Thanks for reading.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Lights--Incandescent vs. LED
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
I can't help you out, but I sure agree with you.  I didn't realize how different they were, until I had mixed lights on the porch in floral baskets last year.  They look awful mixed together, so I had to change them.  LEDs look ok by themselves when they are set up.  You won't notice the difference as much when all is said and done.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
Yes, the city is stepping up to LED's...much brighter and crisper..  they loook great wherever they have them...They are also using some chasing lights, too imitate icicles...  they look nice also..

I dont kave any idea about brand names.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
I don't have any LEDs myself yet, but I can say I've looked at the ones at Walmart. There is one brand there that makes "cool" and "warm" lights. (Might have been GE brand, but don't take that as Gospel). The cool lights are the more white/blue tint I associate with LEDs. The warm lights have more of the yellow tinge of traditional lights. Not sure what I'll end up getting: I prefer the warm lights but hubby likes the cool ones. Hahah.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"