Author Topic: Fall Crafts Festival  (Read 9109 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Fall Crafts Festival
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
Anybody going to SDC during the crafts festival this fall? What are your favorite things to see and do? I love visiting with the fiddle maker, Ms. Hensley. I always loved the decorations on park at that time of the year, the cooler days, and the changing colors of the leaves. How about you? I hope to make one or two trips up during the festival.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Crafts Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »
I am planning on the first weekend, 09/15-16.   Its a great time to walk and enjoy the park in cooler weather. The craftsmen are a real draw to me . Some years back they used to have a taste of the land ( or something like that) set up at the red gold hall that featured foods from all over the country. We really enjoyed that but they seem to have really curtailed the budget there.
We are looking forward to the stunt show even if I cant seem to climb down into the echo hollow anymore It will be a good show from the upper deck I hope.
Anyone remember the butter cow?  From a few years back?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
I am also going the weekend of the 15th. I remember the butter cow. Seems like it was for my sons 3rd bday.....Neat stuff. I adore fall and pumpkins and the decorations. I cant pinpoint one craftsman. I love all of them. Its such a wonderful time to visit with the weather and decoration and the food. The cider. The not as long lines. Or maybe it doesnt seem as long due to the fact that it isnt hot and therefore I am not as cranky. I cant wait.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
The butter cow was in the fall of 2008 and was located in the Frisco Barn.  Interesting exhibit with the cow and artist having to be completely enclosed because of the temperature that had to be maintained.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
That photo was before he added the sheep, I was there when he was adding the stalks of corn.

His name is Jim Victor and he is a sculptor/ artist from PA. here is the link to his site (scroll down the page for the finished butter sculpture)
http://www.jimvictor.com/AssetsFood/foodsculpture.html

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
looking forward to the cooler weather and of course the wild west stunt show. echo hollow seems like a great place to have that

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »
I hope to make my only 2012 trip to SDC during the week of Oct 1-7th.  Can't wait for the cool weather, decorations and lots of craftsmen.  I enjoy Les Seamster's engravings and am looking forward to checking out the new artwork of a pen and ink wildlife artist who is there every year (can't remember his name).  There are several things I've never done in my 25 years at SDC- Breakfast at Molly's Mill, Opening Ceremonies and the Wild West Stunt Show. I plan on hitting all those this year. That gives me plenty to do and doesn't even touch on the other things I enjoy- apple dumplings, shows, skillets, rides, ozark fall colors, tablerock lake, trout fishing...
Should be a good trip!
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
Anyone remember the butter cow?  From a few years back?

I remember the cow!!

I am definitely looking forward to the festival, most of all, the new stunt show!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
Plan to be there the first weekend of October, Columbus Day weekend.  Really love the fall at SDC.  It probably just edges out OTC as my favorite time of the year there.  Just wish Riders in the Sky were going to be there the weekend I'm there.  Not to be this year.  Oh well.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
I hope to make it out for a day. I have a fall break (picture spring break in the fall!) and since it is my favorite time of year...I think I might be able to get away for a bit, but with a little one...it is gonna be hard, maybe not this year  :'(

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »
Coming the weekend of Sept. 29th. Love all the different crafts on display and the cool weather.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
Joely and I will try to make it but it depends on finances. Do they have any BAF during this time? and Does anyone have any that they'd be willing to give me?

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I was freaking out because we had thought my mom had fractured her knee so we thought we wouldn't be able to make it to the festival this year. But turns out it's only something torn, nothing broken. So we will more than likely be there sometime!!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Something torn can be as bad as a break. You should get her a scooter.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »
Since I'm not teaching right now, that opens our schedule up a bit.  So, we are coming in October when the leaves have changed - whenever that happens!  :)